Sponsored

Why does hard top come with the 2 door but not the 4 door?

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ve not owned a vehicle like this. I saw a video on someone taking soft top down. Seemed complicated and a bit time consuming. Sounds like you have experience w/ both soft and hard top. Wouldn’t just using a hard top always be easier? Can’t we just take parts of hardtop off as needed and put it back on? Or, is there a distinct advantage of soft top vs hard top (e.g. fun, driving?)
The appeal of the soft top is being able to just drop the whole thing down in a few minutes. Then if bad weather is coming flip it back up. No need to worry about carrying the panels with you or cutting your day short because of rain.
Sponsored

wavydave

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G8 GXP, 04 F150 FX4, Wildtrak 2DR, Badlands 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Logistics issue?? Ever considered that it takes a lot of stitching... that the efforts are being focused on 4drs only? Maybe they'll have OEM 2dr soft tops later on.

bronchalen84

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The appeal of the soft top is being able to just drop the whole thing down in a few minutes. Then if bad weather is coming flip it back up. No need to worry about carrying the panels with you or cutting your day short because of rain.
Cool. Is the road noise a lot higher?

bgmort

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I think people are thinking to hard about this. I doubt it has anything to do with history. I think Ford has price points they are trying to hit and removing the Hard Top from a 4 door closes the Gap from the 2 door.

Had they done 2-door Soft top and 4-Door Hard top the gap would have been easily more than 1k than it already is.

Same reason why each trim "up" seems to lose some items, but gain different items from the trim immediately to it's left... it so people can find a Bronco within their price range.. well unless they are looking for "Free" !
This would also explain why the soft top isn't available on the 2DR. They don't want options that are cheaper than the standard configuration.

SuckItMcGee

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB, 2020 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think the correct question is why do they not offer a soft top for the 2-Door? Pretty sure if they did it would be standard rather than the MIC top.

And I think the answer to this is simply, the take rate on the 2 dr will be quite a bit lower than the 4 dr (assuming the history of Jeep 2/4 doors rate will cross over to the Bronco), and then the take rate of a soft top for the 2 dr will be even lower than that. It was not worth it to Ford to engineer (or pay Bestop to engineer) a softie for the 2 dr, especially knowing that the aftermarket will always provide.

Sponsored

TurkeyRun

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, '02 F-350, 21 Expy, 4 Harleys and a BMW GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really wish they'd give you the damn choice. I personally have no interest whatsoever in a soft top. If I end up in a 4 door, I will buy the hard top, take the softie off, and likely never put it back on.
Can I have yours?

I'm goin' 4dr, and could upgrade to the hard top instead of getting the "dual top" option :cool:

Undecided

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Bronco, 2002 Tacoma, 2015 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
They did it to make the 4 door price look better
I think this is one factor, combined with a foreseen "low take rate" on two-door with soft top.

Give the standard four-door the cheap top, give the standard two-door the expensive top - makes the base four-door price look better and saves engineering/production costs for a two-door soft top that is likely to be low-volume anyway.

Undecided

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Bronco, 2002 Tacoma, 2015 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’ve not owned a vehicle like this. I saw a video on someone taking soft top down. Seemed complicated and a bit time consuming. Sounds like you have experience w/ both soft and hard top. Wouldn’t just using a hard top always be easier? Can’t we just take parts of hardtop off as needed and put it back on? Or, is there a distinct advantage of soft top vs hard top (e.g. fun, driving?)
The main advantage of a soft top is that putting it down, taking it off, or putting it up is easily done by one person. Due to size, shape and weight taking off and putting on hard tops usually needs to be done with two people, or a mechanical lift of some sort, or perhaps one strong & really brave person.

A soft top (unless taken completely off) also goes with you. A hard top stays in the garage or in storage while off.

HobbyPro

Black Diamond
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Telluride
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What confuses me is that the 4dr comes standard with a soft top. The possible pricing looked like $700 for molded hard top, $1,900 for modular hardtop, and $3,700 for both tops? So you're telling me the soft top costs $3,000 since the both top option looks like the hard top is the modular top. That is simply insane! Also I want to know the difference in molded and modular tops.

Sponsored

Beachcrawler

Outer Banks
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What confuses me is that the 4dr comes standard with a soft top. The possible pricing looked like $700 for molded hard top, $1,900 for modular hardtop, and $3,700 for both tops? So you're telling me the soft top costs $3,000 since the both top option looks like the hard top is the modular top. That is simply insane! Also I want to know the difference in molded and modular tops.
If I’m doing my algebra correctly, and your $700 & $1900 are accurate, and ‘both‘ includes the soft & modular, then.... the modular is priced $3700, the soft has a baked in cost of $1800, and the molded is priced $2500. Upgrade soft to modular (+3700, -1800) = $1900. Upgrade soft to molded (+2500, -1800) = $700. Add the modular for $3700. Add the molded for $2500.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone know why this is?
I don't know. Before the info was released, I expected that if any was going to have the soft top as standard, it would be the two-door. Or both. But I'm not complaining, because I'm getting the two-door and the removable hard top gives me all the options I need.

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
2-Door for $30K with the hard top is an amazing deal. That thing with the roof rack and the canoe mounted upside down (but without the roof in the front) is going to be awesome!

So happy that I did not have to buy it. Getting a soft top later will be $1000 v. double that for a hard top.

Last edited: