Sponsored

Why does the auto start stop feature bother so many people?

bramthun

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Roush
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would guess that the majority of anti auto start stop people fall into one or more of the following categories:

Over 50.

Hate technology/will never own a smart phone.

Are also equally adamantly against EVs and wind turbines.
I would also bet the majority of people for it have close to zero mechanical aptitude.
Sponsored

bramthun

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Roush
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
(This is mainly a general reply to this thread, just using your points as talking points).

Tell your dad that the starter in auto start/stop vehicles is a beefed-up version designed for the extra start cycles. So that's a non-issue.

Then tell your dad that manufacturers learned about hot oil from turbos in the '80s and since then use intercoolers and pumps circulate the oil after shutdown automatically, so this is also a non-issue.

Ask your dad if he drives two-footed. Because by the time he switches his foot from brake to gas, the engine is already started and ready to go. I guess if he's got one foot on the brake and one on the gas at every light just waiting to be rear-ended, he could possible get a 1/2 second jump on the auto-start. But I'm curious: where's he gonna go after that? Ram the car in front of him? Or drive into the intersection and risk getting T-boned? Maybe all of his intersections are single lanes of travel with wide shoulders or bike lanes he can escape into. :)

Hard on the battery? Maybe. I'll admit I don't really know the effect on a battery from increased engine starts, but I'd have to figure if the engineers considered the effect on the starter and mitigated that, they did likewise for the battery.

Fun fact for your dad ;): Auto start-stop can save up to 9% of fuel in heavy city traffic. Some quick math suggests that driving 12,000 miles per year at 18mpg (rough Bronco figure) at average regular gas prices today would save about $93 per year in gas if 2/3 of driving is city driving (a typical ratio) and factoring lighter traffic that might only save 6% instead of 9%. So, that $93/year should be a reasonably conservative estimate.

Sometimes dads don't have the greatest advice when they aren't willing to learn and keep up-to-date on information. My guess is you probably just nodded your head and said, "OK, dad," while keeping auto start-stop enabled. šŸ˜

BTW, I haven't confirmed this 100%, but I believe the Bronco does not engage auto start-stop if the brake is pressed only lightly. That's what I thought I noticed. If so, this is a great feature for when you know you won't be stopping longer than 7 seconds (which is the approximate break-even point for shutting off the engine vs. letting it continually idle). For example, at a stop sign rather than stop light.
Nothing is circulating the oil in your turbo after shutdown
You are incorrect.

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Toyota only offers it on two models and only within them only a certain drive-train.
Itā€™s more to do with mandating fuel economy. Start stop is a way to bring that down. (I think)

Lilhoss105

Wildtrak
First Name
Courtland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIC, Carbon Grey, High
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
We absolutely hate it and my wife has a habit of *Checking mirror, *Turning off auto start on every trip.

We wish we could just change a setting without the forscan.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

People donā€™t like it because there isnā€™t an easy way to disable it persistently. Though I would point out the Ford Performance tune does that and gives your more output.

Sponsored

BikerDoc

Outer Banks
First Name
HOWARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I read above that they disabled auto start stop. WouldLOVE to know how. Thanks

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Turbos are not a wear item??????????? Omg they most certainly are.
At what interval do you replace your turbos? If it's a wear item the maintenance schedule should tell you when to replace them right? Turbos are NOT a wear item, they're designed to last the life of the engine. Wear items are brakes, belts, tires, spark plugs, batteries,... Stuff that gets replaced regularly with-in the life of vehicle.

Wings2Wheels

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch; 737
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Our Bronco have AGM batteries in them.... check out the difference..... Differences Between an AGM and a Regular Car Battery (reliable-auto.com)
Very familiar with the differences. Even back in 2014 I was running 4 type 31S AGM batteries in my Kenworth. Besides being better at taking deep amperage hits, they are also a lot better in a high-vibration application like a semi-truck compared to standard lead-acid batteries.

Having said that...I still don't want my gas or diesel-powered vehicle with turbos turning on and off just to meet EPA regulations.

Wings2Wheels

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch; 737
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

At what interval do you replace your turbos? If it's a wear item the maintenance schedule should tell you when to replace them right? Turbos are NOT a wear item, they're designed to last the life of the engine. Wear items are brakes, belts, tires, spark plugs, batteries,... Stuff that gets replaced regularly with-in the life of vehicle.
Tell me....what happens when a turbo blows up?

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tell me....what happens when a turbo blows up?
What happens when anything blows up?

Do turbos wear out? Yes. Engines also wear out. Engines, turbos, transmissions,.. are not wear items because they're not expected to fail or be replaced with-in the standard life of the vehicle.

Sponsored

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't mind it. I've had zero issues with it. Mine turns back on instantly as soon as I let off the break even a little bit.

I know it's an unpopular opinion, just want to hear peoples reasons on why it bothers them so much.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.
We live in a rural area about 12 miles from the nearest town that has a population of about 20k. We live 2 miles from work. There is no rush hour, no traffic jams, or stop and go traffic. The longest line we wait in is the Chick-Fil-A drive thru. It auto stops at stop signs, when you pull up at the end of the line of three cars at a stoplight that are just starting to move it stops. Our Maverick is worse than the Bronco, if you even think about stopping the damn thing dies. In my opinion, in our case starting and stopping over and over with no real benefit is doing more harm than good.

Bluestreak57

Outer Banks
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco, OBX SaS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have owned fIā€™ve Fords with this technology and it has never failed to start. It has been tested and tested and tested, and works just fine.

IN my 2018 F150 with a 2.7 I got an average of 21.5 mpg,almost always using start/stop

In my 202 F150 with a 3.5, I get an average of just about the same, 21.5

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree about the premature wear on the starter, however, I think I've read something about ecoboot turbos being water cooled instead of oil specifically for the auto start stop function. The idea that it continues to cycle liquid for cooling after shutoff would be nice. But it doesn't make sense to me how the bearings would last like that.

My concern is safety. I was at a stoplight. Saw a guy coming up behind me relatively quickly without any indication of slowing down. There was no on in the right turn lane, so I basically stood on the accelerator to get into the next lane. Dude blew the light and smashed into cross traffic. It's the only driving experience in my life where auto stop stop may have been a hazard, but even once is enough for me to keep it off.

It's also the experience that made me stop checking my phone altogether while driving, not just at stoplights lol
It only takes one time!!

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have owned fIā€™ve Fords with this technology and it has never failed to start. It has been tested and tested and tested, and works just fine.

IN my 2018 F150 with a 2.7 I got an average of 21.5 mpg,almost always using start/stop

In my 202 F150 with a 3.5, I get an average of just about the same, 21.5
I get that without start/stop. Slow down you get better mileage.

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We live in a rural area about 12 miles from the nearest town that has a population of about 20k. We live 2 miles from work. There is no rush hour, no traffic jams, or stop and go traffic. The longest line we wait in is the Chick-Fil-A drive thru. It auto stops at stop signs, when you pull up at the end of the line of three cars at a stoplight that are just starting to move it stops. Our Maverick is worse than the Bronco, if you even think about stopping the damn thing dies. In my opinion, in our case starting and stopping over and over with no real benefit is doing more harm than good.
Good line to wait in...CFA
Sponsored