Sponsored

Why does the auto start stop feature bother so many people?

rayhil67

Black Diamond
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sahara 2006 hummer H3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Lol!!! 17 pages now……let’s see how far it’ll go!

Let’s see if we can hit 20 pages!
In a effort to hit 20 pages Ill pitch in my 2 cents....

This is the first vehicle I have owned to have this feature, So naturally I hate it!! Not saying I could not get use to it BUT my driveway is a 60 degree up angel and every time I back up to park you have to hit breaks pretty hard to stop at the top. Never fails it shuts off before i can move to park. Same with leaving driveway as soon as you get to bottom shuts off before I can pull out. Seems to me it is very fast at shutting off not so fast on restart... My opinion Default should be off ..If I'm in traffic I will turn it on!!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jsullivan

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Explorer, 2016 F350 Diesel, 2013 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
This. ^^^
Other than hot and cold situations I agree it maybe a pain, and I believe it should be a switch that stays off unless you want it on instead of every start up having to disable it. But for anyone saying it is a safety concern, I call BS. Ain’t None of you mofos fast enough to beat start up back to the pedal. Hell, I just shift my foot on the brake without full release and she starts up.
And maybe only slightly more wear and tear in this day and age. My
‘19 F250 gasser has remote start. I am a lawn guy, in Florida, and I remote start that bitch when I blow off every lawn. 4 years in, 80+ lawns a week, 63k miles, how many start ups you think I’ve gone thru? How many regular miles would that equate to? 200k+ mile equivalence on that starter guaranteed. Still truckin’. (Pun intended)
So you agree that with all the short trips, starting and stopping that at 63,000 miles you have the equivalent of 200,000 miles on you truck.
I think that's the whole point to this thread!!

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
In all seriousness how much wear is it actually adding to the engine?

That is what I don't get with people-once you do something different from the "norm", people come out of the woodwork attacking it or not liking it, when if you where actually curious, there is plently to read about how it operates and what was done to migitae possible issues with it.

but humans in general are irrational, so its just about useless to argue this.
Mitigate, being the key word. If only Ford would've used that time and resources that they spent trying to lessen the damage associated with a.s.s., and put it towards things people actually wanted, they'd have a lot better product. Better interior lighting would be a good start, a rear cup holder, an adjustable headrest, a 10 cent piece of protective film where the soft-top rubs the paint off on the cage, an oh-shit handle, an alternator that can withstand 12" of water fording for longer than 3 seconds, a rear seat that folds flat, a rear lower shock mount that's not going to fold like a cheap suit, air to the back seats, an under hood light, perhaps some better tie rods.

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2019 Ford F250, 2009 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So you agree that with all the short trips, starting and stopping that at 63,000 miles you have the equivalent of 200,000 miles on you truck.
Point being, it’s still going. Y’all so worried after 13 miles.
and that’s mileage for the starter, not truck. Read. 99% of Broncos won’t get stuck in traffic enough times to start that many times a day.

Sponsored

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Mitigate, being the key word. If only Ford would've used that time and resources that they spent trying to lessen the damage associated with a.s.s., and put it towards things people actually wanted, they'd have a lot better product. Better interior lighting would be a good start, a rear cup holder, an adjustable headrest, a 10 cent piece of protective film where the soft-top rubs the paint off on the cage, an oh-shit handle, an alternator that can withstand 12" of water fording for longer than 3 seconds, a rear seat that folds flat, a rear lower shock mount that's not going to fold like a cheap suit, air to the back seats, an under hood light, perhaps some better tie rods.
All things you talk about would incure additional costs when the ASS was already baked into the engine, with its costs spread across the different platforms that use the same engine.

Not to mention it helps Ford meet CAFE requirements.

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

In a effort to hit 20 pages Ill pitch in my 2 cents....

my driveway is a 60 degree up angle
Can the Bronco even climb a 60* angle?
Do you have to chock your wheels at the top?
I’d be more worried about the tranny park lock than the starter with a driveway like that.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

There is zero evidence that is even happening

Man the ignornace is strong around here

Does stop-start cause premature wear and tear?
The widespread application of stop-start has only been possible because of improvements in things like battery technology, bearings, oils and control systems in vehicles. See, asking an engine to stop and then start again places strains on components. Indeed, if you took a starter motor from the 1990s and looked at one from today, the modern starter would be much stronger capable of handling up to 500,000 cycles in its ‘lifetime’ – the older starter would have only been designed to handle around 50,000 start cycles. All sorts of things are different, from the type of bearings used, to the long-life brushes, the way the solenoid works, the wiring (beefed up). The aim is to make it easier for the starter motor to do its job.

The same with the battery which is now a much stronger thing than it was in the 1990s, and that’s because when the engine’s stopped, but we still want to keep our lights on and listen to music and run the heating or cooling, and then start the engine when the lights turn green. Beyond a beefed-up battery and wiring harness, some system utilise a separate battery for restarting the engine while the main battery worries about everything else, and some use a capacitor that stores a charge to jolt the starter motor. And then there’s slicker, stickier engine oil that will stay on the moving parts when the engine is stopped for longer, and bearings which are now slipperier via lubrication but also in construction.

Practical Motoring spoke with the technical boss at a leading car maker who said that stop-start doesn’t cause additional wear and tear on an engine but that the owner must adhere to the recommended service schedule and use the manufacturer’s recommended oil. “Using cheaper oils can cause more damage to your car’s engine than anything else,” he told Practical Motoring. “Operational stop-start causes no wear and tear at all; wear and tear at cold start-up is a thing, though,” he sai
https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-advice/myth-busting-stop-start-damage-engine/

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

rayhil67

Black Diamond
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sahara 2006 hummer H3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Can the Bronco even climb a 60* angle?
Do you have to chock your wheels at the top?
I’d be more worried about the tranny park lock than the starter with a driveway like that.
where my house is its flat, hence hitting the breaks at top so I dont plow into fence!!! On a side note I cant wait for our first snow, My H3 is the only vehicle I've had to make it up driveway in reverse with snow on ground. Both my 2012 and 98 wranglers could not do it I think bronco has a chance!!!!

And 60 was a little of an exaggeration:)

Sponsored

TMP

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Super Duty 6.7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It’s one of the first things “deleted” off of a build when chips are in short supply…which says a lot….just more government meddling to give us an answer for a question no one asked.

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

where my house is its flat, hence hitting the breaks at top so I dont plow into fence!!! On a side note I cant wait for our first snow, My H3 is the only vehicle I've had to make it up driveway in reverse with snow on ground. Both my 2012 and 98 wranglers could not do it I think bronco has a chance!!!!
Brakes? But still 60*? 60?
idk if my speed square is big enough for a driveway.
on a side note, I’m on an iphone 8 with the home button. I may have prematurely wore it out opening and closing the phone to view this thread. I may have to take a break? Or is it brake? I can’t remember…..

TangoHunter

Base
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2016 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would not have complained if instead the people that love it had to push a button to enable it every time they started the car. In the mean time I am stuck pushing a button to disable it every time I start the car….while I swear at how stupid it is that I have to push an additional button every time I start the car. Also, since I am in the nest here, the tree of trust with a complaining thread…. Why am I paying 44 thousand dollars for a vehicle that doesn’t have the garage door opener built into the visor?

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It doesn't bother me at all - All my BMWs had this feature (even the M cars). and NOT one starter broke on me or shut down, ever. This is engineered into it.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Why am I paying 44 thousand dollars for a vehicle that doesn’t have the garage door opener built into the visor?
Because Ford is trying to maximize profit by putting it on higher end models. I'm guessing the licencing for it has gone up, since it used to be found on almost all trims till recently.
Sponsored