Sponsored

Why does the auto start stop feature bother so many people?

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ā€˜94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Definitely be thankful Ford decided to do start/stop to meet EPA crap and it has a button to disable it. Far better for consumers they didn't go the route Mazda did with cylinder deactivation. I am on my second CX5 with it and I it drives me nuts. The kicker is the car gets the exact same MPG as a previous CX5 I had without cylinder deactivation. Way to go Mazda.
Sponsored

JDS

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TT Roadster, Reatta convertible.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It should come with a permanent user definable setting. Itā€™s the constant annoyance of turning it off that creates hatred.

mark1031

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 1966 VW Bus, 1999 Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a tight fit in my garage so I have to creep in a bit, far too often it would shut off. Same thing at stop signs. Itā€™s damn sensitive imo.
If it had a 3 second delay Iā€™d be all in.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Has anyone actually discovered how much of a fuel saving there is?
Somewhere between .00elevenity and elevenity trillion gallons a mile.

I havenā€™t seen any meaningful numbers but like anything that has to do with gas mileage it will vary on driving habits and real world conditions.

Sponsored

Ipe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F350, Expedition, Defender, JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The reason it's dangerous is because it can shut the engine off unexpectedly, even for the mostly brief of pauses.

Ultimately, when fractions of a second count for safety, an engine shutting off and requiring a second or more to become useful again is going to get someone killed. As the highway safety signs say: even one death is to many.

Maybe if you drive in pastoral tranquity then perhaps it could be useful, but anywhere remotely urban or suburban it is an accident waiting to happen

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The reason it's dangerous is because it can shut the engine off unexpectedly, even for the mostly brief of pauses.

Ultimately, when fractions of a second count for safety, an engine shutting off and requiring a second or more to become useful again is going to get someone killed. As the highway safety signs say: even one death is to many.

Maybe if you drive in pastoral tranquity then perhaps it could be useful, but anywhere remotely urban or suburban it is an accident waiting to happen
Auto start stop has been around for decades. And mainstream for at least 10 years. Any data to back that up? That is the first time I have heard that argument.

MudMonsterRacin

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1, 2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I shut it off because of the delay when pulling out. There is a delay. I don't live in a stop and go traffic area. Drives me nuts. Probably gonna pick up a superchips flashcal to take care of it and other stuff permanently. My wife's bronco sport has an auto stop eliminator installed for the same reason.

Sponsored

t3n2and4

Badlands
First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, F150, VW CC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I like to cut the wheel over slightly as part of getting ready to turn, just tug slightly - and when the wheel is "dead" from the engine being off that resistance immediately makes me think something is broken which leads to annoyance and frustration.

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't like it..... that's why.... The reasons have all been pretty well covered for me in the previous 21 pages.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It only bothers me because it sounds so harsh/cheap when it restarts. Maybe if I had the optional hood sound deadening it wouldn't so so bad? šŸ¤·
How many miles on your Bronco? Mine was kind harsh at first, but don't notice it now with 5K on it.

ROKBRNC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ on tons, 1970 Bronco, 2019 Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In my line of work (medical) everything my company sells is a no-frills base product. If you want anything above and beyond or a speciality added you have to check the boxes. Of course there are certain packages available depending on the application which will bundle together some software features depending on how the product will be used.

I would love to see car manufacturers adopt this mentality, the so called 'standard' features on a lot of new vehicles nowdays are mandated or designed to be included by the manufacturer not for your benefit but so that they can be compliant with some government agencies agenda, and yes I still want my 2022/2023 Bronco with no airbags, V8 and SFA and an AM/FM radio with push buttons, oh and a vinyl floormat. Realistically I know the manufacturers make money off of including a bunch of crap on new vehicles at "no additional cost" you're still paying for it in the MSRP and its averaged out across all product costs, but hey one can still dream of going to the factory and picking up a rolling driving vehicle with zero options or only the ones I actually spec for mine. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø