Sponsored

Why does the auto start stop feature bother so many people?

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My auto start stop has been disabled since I picked up my bronco. I don’t like it any more than most people. Also I never claimed engineering was always 100% perfect lol

All I said was these things were clearly thought about and reinforced when designed. There is ZERO proof anywhere that just because a vehicle has auto start stop means you’ll be replacing anything sooner than any other vehicle without it.
I agree with much of what you shared but the dilemma is that there is no place (at least that I know of) to access UNBIASED research studies that compare two identical motors, driven exactly the same way, for the same numbers of miles, under the same exact conditions, with one running AS and the other not running AS. What we do have is a number of folks who are in the turbo world who recommend against using the AS system (on anything turboed in general) as-is (without some turbo etiquette). Despite all the cool things Ford claimed they do or did in the section you shared, they still are losing engines at low miles...and batteries...and alternators. Even if they use a more robust bearing, or "reinforce" the starter, or an enhanced AGM battery, I would wager those parts would last MUCH longer withOUT the AS. If they put that much engineering into a system to ward off the potential effects of AS, that clearly means they know AS places additional stress on those components.
Sponsored

skidsteer

Base
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-150 XLT crew w/2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
- If the starter is going to fail, I'd rather it failed under warranty.
- As has been said dozens of times on this forum, this isn't the 80's... Turbos don't "cook" anymore from being driven as intended, and again, I'd rather it failed under warranty (see pt #1)
- If you have an emergency where you think a one second difference is going to make a difference from a stand-still, then your bronco must have comes with the rare "VTOL" option
- See pt #1

Owning a manual transmission vehicle, I think I've literally had the auto start/stop system activate two or three times in a year (I don't often sit with the vehicle in neutral and clutch pedal out)
Our stick 2.3 has (yet) shut off/activated for the same reason clutch in and, in gear ....dumb feature anyway, imo.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I would wager those parts would last MUCH longer withOUT the AS. If they put that much engineering into a system to ward off the potential effects of AS, that clearly means they know AS places additional stress on those components.
You literally just proved my point. Just because there is additional stress, does not mean they will wear out any faster than a normal starter on a vehicle without auto start stop, because they’re designed for the additional stress.

Point of the matter is, this technology has been around for over 10 years now. Turbos, batteries, engines, starters… none of that is failing any more frequently than before it came out. If they were, there would be people throwing their arms up in protest of these failures, but there isn’t. Until someone can show something that proves otherwise, the whole discussion is pointless.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree with much of what you shared but the dilemma is that there is no place (at least that I know of) to access UNBIASED research studies that compare two identical motors, driven exactly the same way, for the same numbers of miles, under the same exact conditions, with one running AS and the other not running AS. What we do have is a number of folks who are in the turbo world who recommend against using the AS system (on anything turboed in general) as-is (without some turbo etiquette). Despite all the cool things Ford claimed they do or did in the section you shared, they still are losing engines at low miles...and batteries...and alternators. Even if they use a more robust bearing, or "reinforce" the starter, or an enhanced AGM battery, I would wager those parts would last MUCH longer withOUT the AS. If they put that much engineering into a system to ward off the potential effects of AS, that clearly means they know AS places additional stress on those components.
For anyone interested in the closest thing I have found to an unbiased explanation and a list of pros/cons:

https://www.powerelectronictips.com...-engine-design-part-4-mechanical-wear-issues/

https://www.powerelectronictips.com...gine-design-part-5-additional-considerations/

https://www.powerelectronictips.com...ine-design-part-6-responses-and-work-arounds/

Far more parts/things to consider than starters/turbos/bearings...

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You literally just proved my point. Just because there is additional stress, does not mean they will wear out any faster than a normal starter on a vehicle without auto start stop, because they’re designed for the additional stress.

Point of the matter is, this technology has been around for over 10 years now. Turbos, batteries, engines, starters… none of that is failing any more frequently than before it came out. If they were, there would be people throwing their arms up in protest of these failures, but there isn’t. Until someone can show something that proves otherwise, the whole discussion is pointless.
So you would propose that the features designed to allow the AS system to work/last, when used without AS, wouldn't last longer than if used with AS?

The point is that no one will EVER be able to show something that proves otherwise because there are no two identical cars (one with AS and one without, under exact some conditions) to prove one lasted longer than another. How can anyone reasonably compare a generation of engines, all with AS, with themselves if they all have AS? How about comparing a current generation of AS 2.7s with engines even from the 70s without AS that could easily go 200,000 miles? Unfair comparison, yes...point being that if all we can do is compare AS engines with other AS engines we won't have any useful data points in regards to "nothing failing more frequently." I'll roll with no AS and hope that my parts designed for additional stress will give me more longevity than those parts would have given me if I used them with AS.

Sponsored

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2019 Ford F250, 2009 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Rename this thread “energizer bunny” or “7-11”. You get my point.

Jeffp1108

Heritage
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Pretty much this, to save $40 in gas over the lifetime of the vehicle makes no sense.
I feel like you are cutting auto start/stop a bit short. There are studies that show that depending on your area, it can save upwards of 15% (in urban settings)…and with gas prices where they are, 15% can be major savings.

Bigmatt

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Just hold your foot on the clutch when stopped, it won’t engage if one is absolutely THAT worried about it.

the only time mine will activate is when I’m sitting in a long ass line at Taco Bell on a Friday night.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Point taken...feel free to do so. Sarcasm? Or a "metaphor?"
If we are into cutting and pasting Ford's advertised features, like the "reinforced starter," and accepting that as some comfort for the increased wear they anticipated (and added those features), need I point out that not too long ago they also teased us with a "7 quart oil pan" that turned out to be a fable (and took a loooong time to even address)? The irony is that all or most of us who are engaging in this Energizer conversation choose to disable or leave our AS off...so regardless of what we claim to believe, we at least agree on SOMETHING...I find comfort in that...

Sponsored

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This guy again. I think old school thought and new school tech don’t mix.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This guy again. I think old school thought and new school tech don’t mix.
This guy again...apparently a (self-proclaimed) "new school tech" expert who believes his opinion is the only correct one (at least the "old school thought" guy knows the difference between a metaphor and an idiom...not that it matters but you may want to "research" and understand that difference before you attempt to point out either). But you're the expert, right?

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Triggered.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Triggered.
Ha! Good one...but I think that's a "new school" term...and nope...just a slow day. I'm just appreciative of whoever invented the auto stop eliminator. Happy thoughts to you and hopefully whether you choose to auto stop or not that your Bronco lasts forever.

Snowbatman

Outer Banks
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I will explain why I hate the feature. I work in the construction business and my partners husband is a chief deputy for a rural Sheriff department. We were at a job site which is 2.5 blocks from the police station that was burned down during the George Floyd riots. I pulled up to a signal light and a homeless man crossed in front of us, of course the car shut off until he was at the corner of the car and the light changed. Once releasing my foot from the brake the engine turned over and started. How would your comfort level be when the homeless guy right at the fender was startled and others around?
Sponsored