Why go Sasquatch when Badlands 4.70 is Same ?

nvabill

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara, C-182 Skylane
They aren't talking about total vehicle height, they are talking about suspension height, which is what is important if trying to figure out what tire to use. If you wanted to put 29" tires on a Sasquatch Bronco, it would ride considerably lower (overall) than a Badlands, but the suspension height would be higher than the Badlands. You would still be able to put a 35" tire on it and raise the total vehicle height. If you can fit 40" tires in the wheel openings you'd raise the total vehicle height, but you wouldn't change the suspension height.

The Sas suspension raises the vehicle, above the axles, 1.5"/.4". Total ride height, just like ground clearance, will change with the tires.

Make sense?
Go back and listen to the live stream he clearly said the Sasquatch package raises the vehicle height 1.5 inches on base and 10mm on the Badlands but yes I understand the difference.

AcesandEights

Badlands
First Name
Ace!
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 or 2017 Ford
The conversation is specific to suspension, not overall vehicle height. The question is what is the difference in suspension, and the answer is specific to the difference in height relative to suspension. They arent talking about vehicle height or tires, except to say SAS is a package that includes 35" tires.

The difference between base tire and SAS tires is 5", or 2.5" in overall height of the vehicle. It's not 1.5". That further lends to the fact the question was about the difference in suspension, and the answer being specific to suspension, not overall vehicle height. No one asked how much taller, overall, the SAS vehicle is over base.

BroncBro

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma 4x4
Clubs

Go back and listen to the live stream he clearly said the Sasquatch package raises the vehicle height 1.5 inches on base and 10mm on the Badlands but yes I understand the difference.
After getting in to this subject a couple of times, my opinion is that the people who want the BL WITHOUT Squatch heard it to say there’s only a 10mm (0.39”) difference between BL and Squatch. The people that DO want to Squatch their BL heard it to say that BL is 10mm lift over base and Squatch is 1.5” over base. (1.1” over BL suspension)

I don’t think these arguments are going to go anywhere because it’s team BL suspension vs team High Clearance suspension. :poop:

Last edited:

nvabill

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After getting in to this subject a couple of times, my opinion is that the people who want the BL WITHOUT Squatch heard it to say there’s only a 10mm difference between BL and Squatch. The people that DO want to Squatch their BL heard it to say that BL is 10mm lift over base and Squatch is 1.5” over base.

I don’t think these arguments are going to go anywhere because it’s team BL suspension vs team High clearance suspension. :poop:
The conversation is specific to suspension, not overall vehicle height. The question is what is the difference in suspension, and the answer is specific to the difference in height relative to suspension. They arent talking about vehicle height or tires, except to say SAS is a package that includes 35" tires.

The difference between base tire and SAS tires is 5", or 2.5" in overall height of the vehicle. It's not 1.5". That further lends to the fact the question was about the difference in suspension, and the answer being specific to suspension, not overall vehicle height. No one asked how much taller, overall, the SAS vehicle is over base.
You bring up a very valid point further proving that the Ford guys on the live stream did not have a clue! So, you can't possible or at least I will not put much credence in anything they say!

nvabill

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Damn looks like I have to yield to you experts, I went back and although i was positive he said vehicle height he did not, he said vehicle lift! LOL

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 GC Trailhawk, ‘05 LJ, ‘17 F150 3.5 Screw
plus 95% of the people buying a bronco will never air their tires down to 10psi while offroad...the whole reason for beadlocks in the first place
Yep...I air down to 15-17psi on my jeep, truck, wife’s GC all with aftermarket wheels (no beadlocks) and zero problems. Heck on the truck (w/ 35” Mt) and GC (w/ 32” AT) theyre 20” wheels and still no issues wheeling on rocks.

h2osentinel

Outer Banks
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition, Subaru Forester, Toyota Tundra
On the spec sheet it says the water fording is the same for 33 and 35 inch tires for both 2dr and 4dr. Makes me think they are pretty close in lift.

Water Fording (max.)33.5"(with 33 & 35" tire)33.5"(with 33 & 35" tire)

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Clubs

After getting in to this subject a couple of times, my opinion is that the people who want the BL WITHOUT Squatch heard it to say there’s only a 10mm (0.39”) difference between BL and Squatch. The people that DO want to Squatch their BL heard it to say that BL is 10mm lift over base and Squatch is 1.5” over base. (1.1” over BL suspension)

I don’t think these arguments are going to go anywhere because it’s team BL suspension vs team High Clearance suspension. :poop:
How is lift actually measured? (More importantly: How is Ford measuring it?) I've tried to google this and there doesn't seem to be a consistent answer. However, for a couple of methods I looked at, increasing tire size also increases lift. Could the difference in lift be almost entirely from tire size? Increasing the tire size from 33 to 35 would add approximately 1" of lift. Given that tires can run slightly smaller or larger than tire size, going from BFG AT 33 to Goodyear MT 35 could add 1.1" of lift.

If so, it could mean that everyone is getting what they want. The BL non-squatch group get the same components, but the BL squatch group gets the extra 1.1" of lift.

AcesandEights

Badlands
First Name
Ace!
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 or 2017 Ford
Ground clearance is based on tire size. Only the tire's increase in size increases height "under" the springs, at the axle which is usually the lowest part or where ground clearance is measured.

Lift is the amount of height different springs give the vehicle. They are often misunderstood or confused. Lift is not increased by the tire; however overall vehicle height is.

Springs, lift, doesnt include ground clearance, but can increase clearance for larger tires.

Tires increase ground clearance by half of the overall diameter increase. Half of the diameter is above the axle/cc shaft and half is below.

Wolfeman

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Raptor
Clubs

Ground clearance is based on tire size. Only the tire's increase in size increases height "under" the springs, at the axle which is usually the lowest part or where ground clearance is measured.

Lift is the amount of height different springs give the vehicle. They are often misunderstood or confused. Lift is not increased by the tire; however overall vehicle height is.

Springs, lift, doesnt include ground clearance, but can increase clearance for larger tires.

Tires increase ground clearance by half of the overall diameter increase. Half of the diameter is above the axle/cc shaft and half is below.
This guy gets it. Don't seek to just have an opinion. Be more like AcesandEights and have an opinion based on facts and knowledge.

Bullitt

Black Diamond
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
They've already published the total vehicle heights.

Depends on the suspension and it depends on tires. If there three or four tire sizes available and two or three suspensions available you have a half dozen or more possible heights. There are 30", 32", 33" and 35" tires, there is one or two or possibly three suspension configurations. Those would all cause variation in overall vehicle height. They did publish the heights though, the range of heights. If the Sas suspension provides 1.5" suspension height difference, and the tire range is 30" - 35" then you know there's going to be a 4" overall variance in total vehicle height (1.5" + 5/2), but it could be just about anything in between depending on what model and options are chosen.

Ford's preliminary tech specs (2D models):
Base - 71.9"
Wildtrack - 75.2"
I'm looking for heights of each model, with and without Sasquatch, published by Ford. Please post the link if you have it. I've not seen it anywhere, except for the base model.

BroncBro

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma 4x4
Clubs

How is lift actually measured? (More importantly: How is Ford measuring it?) I've tried to google this and there doesn't seem to be a consistent answer. However, for a couple of methods I looked at, increasing tire size also increases lift. Could the difference in lift be almost entirely from tire size? Increasing the tire size from 33 to 35 would add approximately 1" of lift. Given that tires can run slightly smaller or larger than tire size, going from BFG AT 33 to Goodyear MT 35 could add 1.1" of lift.

If so, it could mean that everyone is getting what they want. The BL non-squatch group get the same components, but the BL squatch group gets the extra 1.1" of lift.
You measure from the center hub straight up to the fender.

Last edited:

Advertisement

Advertisement