Sponsored

Why I switched to the 2.3L over the 2.7L...

OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From what I've seen, it takes around 8k miles to "learn" shifting patterns. If you reset the (60/80) transmission, it takes another 8k miles to re-learn the patterns for your typical drive conditions.

So when you have a really weird shifting occurrence after driving your new Bronco 2000 miles and decide it's time to open her up because the engine is "past the break-in period", remember the transmission is a slow learner.

jay-rod427

Badlands
First Name
Jerod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized gray 2 dr BadLands Sans-Squatch ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
1C1786DD-B58D-4041-85E4-C8373B976659.gif

The 2.7 is an extremely powerful engine. The twin turbos really add an incredible amount of torque. Unfortunately, I think the 2.7 has too much torque for the 10R60 transmission the Bronco is getting. In fact, the 10R60 transmission only has a torque rating slightly above what the stock 2.7 puts out. Which means if you get the 2.7, youā€™ll have a lot of wear and tear on your Bronco transmission, especially if you add a tune.

Iā€™m more worried about the longevity of my Bronco, than immediate power. And I donā€™t feel like upgrading my transmission. So Iā€™m sticking with the 2.3L. And Iā€™ll add a tune later. Iā€™ve driven both engines, and you can barely tell the difference unless youā€™re on a steep hill.

If Ford offered the 10R80 transmission in the Bronco, Iā€™d without a doubt upgrade to the 2.7. Even the Ranger comes standard with the 10R80, that allows for more torque than the Bronco.
Claims going to get the 2.3 because the 2.7 is too much torque for the transmission, then says gonna tune the 2.3 to make more power like the 2.7 stock does........

Jeez the logic.

Irony of the Gif it's an exploding engine, not transmission. cool tho.

Nah. The 4.7 gearing on Sasquatch is what makes all the difference. Doesnā€™t stress the transmission at all. If you drove one, youā€™d know. Itā€™s the massive amounts of torque that stress the 10R60.
So the high gearing doesn't stress the trans at all?(that has some truth to it btw), but it's also the massive amounts of torque that stress it???? Which is it?

They actually canā€™t handle the power though...

ā€œConsumer Reports was one of the first outlets to get a 2020 Ford Explorer and take it out for a test drive. They noticed right away that driving the Ford Explorer in suburban settings can be somewhat of a problem. The 2020 Ford Explorer has an issue with lurching and pulling while you're driving. There are also some very rough shifts from first gear to second gear after you experienced these lurches and pulls which tend to happen when you stop at stop signs and traffic lights. Additionally, the transition from 2nd to 3rd gear has also proven to be problematic.

Another issue that test drivers noticed with the Ford Explorerā€™s transmission for the 2020 model year was that it will hold on to a gear longer than it needs to. Typically, when you're driving with an automatic transmission once your engine reaches the appropriate RPM's for a gear shift to take place it will do so. That's essentially the whole purpose of an automatic transmission. It recognizes that your vehicle is up to the required speed and assessing the shifting gears. However, the transmission in this model year of the Explorer stays in a lower gear longer than it should and in turn causes some serious noise to come from the engine as a result.ā€
And what does this article have to do with not handling the power? It's all about the programming and shifting flaws that both the 60 & 80 have. I own the 10r80 in an F150 and let me tell you it's no shifting prize. Clunky, hangs shifts, surges and bucks, harsh shifts.

Sponsored

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No matter what is true or not true regarding the engine and tranny, I think I'm going for the extended warranty on this buggy.

OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Claims going to get the 2.3 because the 2.7 is too much torque for the transmission, then says gonna tune the 2.3 to make more power like the 2.7 stock does........
A Ford tune for the 2.3 wonā€™t even come close to the amount of torque the 2.7 has. If you donā€™t even understand that, then of course the logic is going to be confusing for you.

OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
From what I've seen, it takes around 8k miles to "learn" shifting patterns. If you reset the (60/80) transmission, it takes another 8k miles to re-learn the patterns for your typical drive conditions.

So when you have a really weird shifting occurrence after driving your new Bronco 2000 miles and decide it's time to open her up because the engine is "past the break-in period", remember the transmission is a slow learner.
This is definitely true, and really good to know!

OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
No matter what is true or not true regarding the engine and tranny, I think I'm going for the extended warranty on this buggy.
I think thatā€™s probably smart. Iā€™m going to do the same as well. You getting it through your dealership?

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford Bronco Why I switched to the 2.3L over the 2.7L... 60E36087-1983-479F-A3B6-03B48096CC6E

I donā€™t want to downplay peopleā€™s concerns but I would bet there is not another vehicle on this entire planet that has been scrutinized like this. What percent of people consider the torque rating in their transmission before purchasing?? Weā€™re just looking for stuff to be outraged about at this point.

OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'll just get the manual and tell the transmission when I want it to shift. Problem solved. Next thread.
Makes your decision easier, because then you only have one choice of engine (2.3L).

jay-rod427

Badlands
First Name
Jerod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized gray 2 dr BadLands Sans-Squatch ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A Ford tune for the 2.3 wonā€™t even come close to the amount of torque the 2.7 has. If you donā€™t even understand that, then of course the logic is going to be confusing for you.
On the Ranger 2.3 ford tune they claim 60ft/lbs so ya would put it pretty damn close to the 2.7.

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Makes your decision easier, because then you only have one choice of engine (2.3L).
Yep. And that engine has more power and torque than my last off roader, along with lighter weight and lower gears. Not a hard decision at all.

WonkyBronky

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Wildtrak, '20 Raptor, Porsches, track cars
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Choosing a smaller engine because you mistakenly believe Ford didn't do proper transmission testing is absurdly silly.

Knowing that the 3.5TT in my Raptor is barely ok, the 2.7 in my Wildtrak really makes me wonder how it will do fully loaded on the highway or sand/mud.
Sponsored