Sponsored

Why I switched to the 2.3L over the 2.7L...

OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Let’s compare the 10R60 with 2.7 to the *Gold standard* in this segment, the 392 Wrangler with the 8HP75. We’re going to use percentages because IMO that is a more accurate way to go about things.

470 Torque in the Wrangler with a transmission that has a torque rating of 553 Ft-Lbs puts the wrangler at 85% capacity.

415 Torque in the Bronco with a transmission that has a torque rating of 443 Ft-LBS puts it at 94% capacity.

Does that seem high? Sure.
^And this is my exactly why I switched to the 2.3L. Yes, there are other factors at play. But the main issue I was concerned with was torque rating. If anything, I hope you’re right, and the transmission can handle way more than it’s rated. But I was just outlining what made my decision easier.
Sponsored

Virtual-Chris

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The transmission is called 10R60 because it’s rated at 600 Nm.
Do we know that for a fact? Is that published somewhere we can verify?

I get where that assumption comes from, but until someone can link to a Ford spec, it's just an assumption.

Sometimes new part or model numbers are picked for convenience and don't really represent what they might have implied in the past.

jay-rod427

Badlands
First Name
Jerod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized gray 2 dr BadLands Sans-Squatch ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Let’s compare the 10R60 with 2.7 to the *Gold standard* in this segment, the 392 Wrangler with the 8HP75. We’re going to use percentages because IMO that is a more accurate way to go about things.

470 Torque in the Wrangler with a transmission that has a torque rating of 553 Ft-Lbs puts the wrangler at 85% capacity.

415 Torque in the Bronco with a transmission that has a torque rating of 443 Ft-LBS puts it at 94% capacity.

Does that seem high? Sure. But when you realize that:

1. The 392 has WAY more horsepower which also puts a ton of strain on the transmission. The 392 has less favorable differential gearing which puts more strain on the driveline. And the 392 is designed to be launched on the street repeatedly which is about as hard as it gets for an off road vehicle.

2. The 10R60 is in use in the Explorer ST which has the EXACT same torque as the 2.7 Bronco, but also higher horsepower, tows more, is heavier, and also has less favorable differential gearing. Like the 392, the engineers have designed the ST to to withstand repeated 0-60 launches on the street which is about the toughest thing you can do to a transmission other than tow.

The transmission in the Bronco is living a pretty easy life unless you’re just beating the absolute piss out of it.

If I was this worried about transmission problems I’d get a cooler and be done with it. Heat is what really kills em, and that really doesn’t have much to do with the torque output but more how it’s used. If you’re constantly maxed out towing with your Bronco through hills in the summer, yeah maybe I’d be a bit concerned. But for 99% of use cases the 10r60 will be just fine.

Ford Bronco Why I switched to the 2.3L over the 2.7L... 1622667925562

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
^And this is my exactly why I switched to the 2.3L. Yes, there are other factors at play. But the main issue I was concerned with was torque rating. If anything, I hope you’re right, and the transmission can handle way more than it’s rated. But I was just outlining what made my decision easier.
How much overhead do you usually look for when considering a vehicle? Genuinely curious since this is not something I’ve ever considered.

Sponsored

jllanglo

First Name
Jameson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ford Bronco Why I switched to the 2.3L over the 2.7L... the-office (1)

The 2.7 is an extremely powerful engine. The twin turbos really add an incredible amount of torque. Unfortunately, I think the 2.7 has too much torque for the 10R60 transmission the Bronco is getting. In fact, the 10R60 transmission only has a torque rating slightly above what the stock 2.7 puts out. Which means if you get the 2.7, you’ll have a lot of wear and tear on your Bronco transmission, especially if you add a tune.

I’m more worried about the longevity of my Bronco, than immediate power. And I don’t feel like upgrading my transmission. So I’m sticking with the 2.3L. And I’ll add a tune later. I’ve driven both engines, and you can barely tell the difference unless you’re on a steep hill.

If Ford offered the 10R80 transmission in the Bronco, I’d without a doubt upgrade to the 2.7. Even the Ranger comes standard with the 10R80, that allows for more torque than the Bronco.
I'm in complete agreement....But if I'm being honest I'm just trying to tell myself that I'm doing the 2.3 for "reliability" reasons instead of because I'm cheap lol.

OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
How much overhead do you usually look for when considering a vehicle? Genuinely curious since this is not something I’ve ever considered.
I don’t need a lot of overhead, but anything less than 10% gets a little sketchy... especially when off-roading. Im sure if you don’t tune the 2.7, it won’t be as much of an issue. But the lack of overhead does concern me.

Seacat

Wildtrak
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, VW Touareg TDI R-Line
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I guess if you're going to "drive it like you stole it", you're destined to have issues.

Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
First off, nobody is outraged or complaining (besides you). This thread logically explains why I chose the 2.3L over the 2.7L. This is due to the torque rating of the 10R60. Yes, most car people research the transmission before purchasing. You don’t?

The transmission is called 10R60 because it’s rated at 600 Nm. 600 Nm translates to 443 pound-feet of torque, which is very close to the 415 pound-feet (563 Nm) of the 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6. If you can’t see the problem with having a transmission with a torque limit so close to what the stock engine produces, then I can’t help you.
The assumptions are strong with this post.

OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
I guess if you're going to "drive it like you stole it", you're destined to have issues.
Sometimes on these interstates, you don’t have a choice!

2.3BigBend

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work Beater
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford Bronco Why I switched to the 2.3L over the 2.7L... the-office (1)

The 2.7 is an extremely powerful engine. The twin turbos really add an incredible amount of torque. Unfortunately, I think the 2.7 has too much torque for the 10R60 transmission the Bronco is getting. In fact, the 10R60 transmission only has a torque rating slightly above what the stock 2.7 puts out. Which means if you get the 2.7, you’ll have a lot of wear and tear on your Bronco transmission, especially if you add a tune.

I’m more worried about the longevity of my Bronco, than immediate power. And I don’t feel like upgrading my transmission. So I’m sticking with the 2.3L. And I’ll add a tune later. I’ve driven both engines, and you can barely tell the difference unless you’re on a steep hill.

If Ford offered the 10R80 transmission in the Bronco, I’d without a doubt upgrade to the 2.7. Even the Ranger comes standard with the 10R80, that allows for more torque than the Bronco.
Valid points and I understand everything you are saying except comparing my previous 2.7 F-150 to my 2.3 Ranger was a pretty significant, noticeable difference in power and acceleration. The Ranger is not lacking power so I too went with the 2.3 in my Bronc. But mainly for cost savings of the $1,895 option and I think I have a better chance exceeding epa numbers more so than with the 2.7, just because I struggled keeping my foot out of the 2.7. If the performance is as similar as you described, either the 2.3 is programmed more aggressively in the Bronco vs the Ranger, or the 2.7 is more detuned in it's programming compared to the F-150.
Sponsored