Sponsored

Why I switched to the 2.3L over the 2.7L...

OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m making assumptions based on the torque rating of the transmission. It’s pretty simple stuff.
Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Has anyone thought of comparing power at the wheels of a 2.3mt vs a 2.7 auto? Also as i type this i still think its hilarious the folks that claim to like manuals but give up rowing their gears and being in total control over the vehicle instead of our robotic overloards for a measely 0.4 liters of displacement and a pair of smaller turbos instead of one. Its like tossing a apple that you may claim to love because it has a scratch the size if a nut hair. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Just admit it auto buyers you either are getting too old or lazy or are more concerned wuth the destination than the drive. I grew up cruising the streets. No one has more fun on cruise night that a driver who loves shiftig their manual or letting their passenger give it try. Im no player but I know that particular innuendo is an effective dating tool!;)

mandrew

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For what it is worth I am a Mechanical Engineer and have been beating the piss out of trail rigs for decades....trust me that the latter is more important.

This will be my first "nice" trail rig for more relaxed overlanding and exploring. I have no doubts that the 10R60 likely has 20-30% margin at an 80% duty cycle. Unless you are constantly bouncing over rocks with some stickies you will be fine.

Also save the thousands from the warranty and if you ever have problems you can get an aftermarket solution....10R80...and/or an Atlas 4sp T-case...problem solved.

OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Valid points and I understand everything you are saying except comparing my previous 2.7 F-150 to my 2.3 Ranger was a pretty significant, noticeable difference in power and acceleration. The Ranger is not lacking power so I too went with the 2.3 in my Bronc. But mainly for cost savings of the $1,895 option and I think I have a better chance exceeding epa numbers more so than with the 2.7, just because I struggled keeping my foot out of the 2.7. If the performance is as similar as you described, either the 2.3 is programmed more aggressively in the Bronco vs the Ranger, or the 2.7 is more detuned in it's programming compared to the F-150.
I agree. The F-150 is just a beast in itself, and has great performance all around. It also has the 10R80 transmission, so it can handle more. If you drive aggressively, there’s no doubt in my mind that the 2.7 performs a lot better than the 2.3, especially with the 10R80.

Based on the engine specs Ford has released so far, I think the Bronco is tuned to have a little more power in the 2.3, than the Ranger has. But I don’t think anyone knows definitively.

Sponsored

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We are saying that the 2.7 will wear out the 10R60 transmission way faster than the 2.3 will. That’s all.
Who is “we”? It sounds like it’s “you”.

I’m making assumptions based on the torque rating of the transmission. It’s pretty simple stuff.
To make that assumption, let’s see your sturdy of torque ratings compared to failure rates. Otherwise, you are just pulling it out of your butt.

OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
For what it is worth I am a Mechanical Engineer and have been beating the piss out of trail rigs for decades....trust me that the latter is more important.

This will be my first "nice" trail rig for more relaxed overlanding and exploring. I have no doubts that the 10R60 likely has 20-30% margin at an 80% duty cycle. Unless you are constantly bouncing over rocks with some stickies you will be fine.

Also save the thousands from the warranty and if you ever have problems you can get an aftermarket solution....10R80...and/or an Atlas 4sp T-case...problem solved.
Agreed! I know at some point after the warranty is up, I’ll probably upgrade the transmission as well.

OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
can you provide more information or experience with Flood Ford insurance? I am interested in this option.
Same here! They get mentioned a lot. I’m definitely thinking about purchasing an extended warranty.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Who is “we”? It sounds like it’s “you”.

To make that assumption, let’s see your sturdy of torque ratings compared to failure rates. Otherwise, you are just pulling it out of your butt.
Its the royal "we" man.

Im saying it though. An auto will wear out and slip then fail. Probably after its cooler lines rust and leak and then get replaced. Will I have replaced the clutch on my mt before then sure, but even if the shifter is a little looser and one or two gears out of 7 is a lil louder or even non existant(for a short time atleast) my manual will keep chugging on and probably outlast the turbo motor. Which of course will have been swapped out for a junkyard 2.7 with a belhousing adapter from a 2024 bronco.

Sponsored

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Erroneous!

Ford would never put a tranny in a vehicle they didn’t think was overengineered and ready for anything
Ford Bronco Why I switched to the 2.3L over the 2.7L... 499A9103-5AB5-4078-B843-88B2C6424C95

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I chose the 2.3 because cheapass me,(and i have seen alot of problems with 2.7 that are supossedly fixed now)only thorn in my side is the now confirmed addition of the 10r60 trans:sick:

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The transmission is called 10R60 because it’s rated at 600 Nm. 600 Nm translates to 443 pound-feet of torque, which is very close to the 415 pound-feet (563 Nm) of the 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6. If you can’t see the problem with having a transmission with a torque limit so close to what the stock engine produces, then I can’t help you.
Where are you getting the 600 newton-meter spec? Is that for the Bronco variant? Are you sure that it isn't the continuous or nominal rating? If nominal, then it is potentially meaningless.