Sponsored

Why I switched to the 2.3L over the 2.7L...

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Agreed! I know at some point after the warranty is up, I’ll probably upgrade the transmission as well.
Wait, if you are planning on replacing the transmission as an "upgrade" at a future date, why are you dropping down to the 4-cylinder? The transmission is warranted for 60,000 miles. So after 60,000 miles, if you've not blown up the 10R60, upgrade to the 10R80; it should bolt right in on the 2.7. Your concern regarding the torque ratings and dropping down to the 2.3L is not logical if you are eventually going to "upgrade" the transmission.
Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For what it is worth I am a Mechanical Engineer and have been beating the piss out of trail rigs for decades....trust me that the latter is more important.

This will be my first "nice" trail rig for more relaxed overlanding and exploring. I have no doubts that the 10R60 likely has 20-30% margin at an 80% duty cycle. Unless you are constantly bouncing over rocks with some stickies you will be fine.

Also save the thousands from the warranty and if you ever have problems you can get an aftermarket solution....10R80...and/or an Atlas 4sp T-case...problem solved.
I've tried to find the actual mechanical differences between the two transmission versions and a quick search didn't bring up anything. I would think the mechanical differences are in the clutch packs and number of shift solenoids used along with shift logic that allows the 'R80 to handle more torque. Just a guess.

Ronaldo

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71bronco67cvMustangFFRCobra97Viper93RX7R1
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

...Or you can add a catch can, and never worry about it. Or just clean it every 100k miles. Problem solved. You must not have a lot of experience with DI engines. But the 2.3L in the Rangers has been great.
Wouldn’t it be cheaper for Ford and all the manufactures to just add a catch can. Maybe you can should tell all of Fords engineers that you have a cheap ass fix for them and they could save hundreds per engine not having both DI and port injection. Also they both work together for improved mileage, emissions, and power. See attached.

48D66991-8188-4285-9E00-3E58AD73E169.png

918v

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No matter which tune I get on the 2.3, it’s going to stay under 375lbs torque. That’s the point.
Have you considered not driving the car so hard. On another note, you can always de tune the 2.7 or screw a block to the gas pedal to prevent you from flooring it LOL

918v

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Couple weekends ago I was towing about 10K in my f150. It's "rated" for 12,500 or something like that. Pulled onto the highway and told my buddy let's see if something blows up.

0-85mph, slight uphill, into the wind, 10K behind, decent bit of cargo in the truck. 100% WOT the whole time. She politely asked me please sir gimme some more. LOL.
Somebody should yank your license.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wait, if you are planning on replacing the transmission as an "upgrade" at a future date, why are you dropping down to the 4-cylinder? The transmission is warranted for 60,000 miles. So after 60,000 miles, if you've not blown up the 10R60, upgrade to the 10R80; it should bolt right in on the 2.7. Your concern regarding the torque ratings and dropping down to the 2.3L is not logical if you are eventually going to "upgrade" the transmission.
That’s after the coyote swap, duh 😂

OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
2.7 + ecomode problem solved 🤪
Honestly, you’re probably right. That’s the best mode for 2.7, since it already has tons of power.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wouldn’t it be cheaper for Ford and all the manufactures to just add a catch can. Maybe you can should tell all of Fords engineers that you have a cheap ass fix for them and they could save hundreds per engine not having both DI and port injection. Also they both work together for improved mileage, emissions, and power. See attached.

Ford Bronco Why I switched to the 2.3L over the 2.7L... 48D66991-8188-4285-9E00-3E58AD73E169
Adding a catch can is a band-aid for a bad design. It helps if it is incorporated and maintained correctly. I don't think auto makers will ever install one from the factory. The high percentage of blow-by is water, that is not conducive for use in freezing temperatures.

Again, just design the engine correctly. The 2.3 is not. It will slowly start to loose power and efficiency over time. The remedy cleaning is not easy nor cheap.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you"

mandrew

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've tried to find the actual mechanical differences between the two transmission versions and a quick search didn't bring up anything. I would think the mechanical differences are in the clutch packs and number of shift solenoids used along with shift logic that allows the 'R80 to handle more torque. Just a guess.
Perhaps you are right. After 20 years in Engineering I can assure you that we are not going to figure out all the differences on a forum. Too many dimensions and parts that could be different materials, etc. I am going to trust the Design Review process and hope the bean-counters weren't dumb enough to tarnish what Ford obviously sees as a very important product launch.

Regardless if you look at real trail rigs, meant for hardcore off-roading, most have upgraded the entire drivetrain...and suspension...and electronics....you get the point. I am going to enjoy my 2.7L 10R60 as a very capable camping/exploration rig. I never buy a vehicle expecting the "design for the 95% of people" to be permanent when I decide to go 110% balls to the wall. When the time comes to upgrade it'll get a ridiculous tune, larger turbos and all the goodies necessary to handle the extra power.

Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Perhaps you are right. After 20 years in Engineering I can assure you that we are not going to figure out all the differences on a forum. Too many dimensions and parts that could be different materials, etc. I am going to trust the Design Review process and hope the bean-counters weren't dumb enough to tarnish what Ford obviously sees as a very important product launch.

Regardless if you look at real trail rigs, meant for hardcore off-roading, most have upgraded the entire drivetrain...and suspension...and electronics....you get the point. I am going to enjoy my 2.7L 10R60 as a very capable camping/exploration rig. I never buy a vehicle expecting the "design for the 95% of people" to be permanent when I decide to go 110% balls to the wall. When the time comes to upgrade it'll get a ridiculous tune, larger turbos and all the goodies necessary to handle the extra power.
My research on the transmission didn't bring up much about the 10R60. The 10R80 was designed and manufactured with GM as most of us know, but what I didn't know is Allison Transmissions also sell a version of the unit that is rated at 1,000 pound-foot. Based on Wikipedia info (cough-cough) the Allison version has different sized gear sets in it (tooth-counts) than either the GM or Ford version. Fluid pump designs and torque converter designs differ between the brands. But I find it curious that Allison puts its name on the transmission. I doubt Allison would put its name on a transmission of subpar quality as far as duty cycle goes and it tells me Allison had a hand in the design.

I would think that if the Allison unit handles 1,000 pound-foot, that is a good indication that the case design both internal and external and the fluid cooling architecture is definitely under-stressed at some 400+ pnd-ft load with the 2.7L.

Last edited:

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Ford Bronco Why I switched to the 2.3L over the 2.7L... 48D66991-8188-4285-9E00-3E58AD73E169
My BMW N52, which is not direct injected, has a version of factory catch can system called CCV (crank case ventilation). It's all plastic, which eventually breaks at high mileage. But because it is a factory system, it has to return the captured oil back to the engine. My N52 dumps the oil back into the oil pan via a hose. No manufacturer can produce a catch can system that relies on the owner to dump the can, so the type of catch can system you are thinking of, an aftermarket system, is not feasible for a mass produced vehicle.

Ronaldo

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71bronco67cvMustangFFRCobra97Viper93RX7R1
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Adding a catch can is a band-aid for a bad design. It helps if it is incorporated and maintained correctly. I don't think auto makers will ever install one from the factory. The high percentage of blow-by is water, that is not conducive for use in freezing temperatures.

Again, just design the engine correctly. The 2.3 is not. It will slowly start to loose power and efficiency over time. The remedy cleaning is not easy nor cheap.

Mr Nice I agree 100 percent. You would have to read earlier in this post but this guy from Bama ColbyFromBama. disagreed with me when I said I ordered the 2.7 because it has both DI and port fuel injection. He said get a catch can I was trying to say I think the engineers at Ford and other manufactures may be a little smarter than him. Then he give the through up emoji. He is a Clown

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, there are a lot of things not logical from OP's post. Like making an arbitrary judgement of how much margin that Ford should have put between their engine torque output and their transmission ratings, without also knowing how much margin is baked into the transmission rating and it's qualification levels and between it's qualification levels and yield levels. All different things, all with extra margin that the OP isn't considering and doesn't know. Such a random and inconsequential thing to be concerned about enough to downgrade your engine over...Especially when you "plan to upgrade the tranny anyway".

If OP wants the 2.3, nobody cares, but to pretend he's the smartest guy in the room with his lack of info and wild assumptions is silly.
Sponsored