Sponsored

Why I switched to the 2.3L over the 2.7L...

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Imagine being a manufacturer and putting a factory option tune on your vehicle that puts the transmission at the theoretical torque threshold šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬

https://www.motortrend.com/news/easter-jeep-safari-concept-turbo-engine-srt-tune/
Letā€™s compare the 10R60 with 2.7 to the *Gold standard* in this segment, the 392 Wrangler with the 8HP75. Weā€™re going to use percentages because IMO that is a more accurate way to go about things.

470 Torque in the Wrangler with a transmission that has a torque rating of 553 Ft-Lbs puts the wrangler at 85% capacity.

415 Torque in the Bronco with a transmission that has a torque rating of 443 Ft-LBS puts it at 94% capacity.

Does that seem high? Sure. But when you realize that:

1. The 392 has WAY more horsepower which also puts a ton of strain on the transmission. The 392 has less favorable differential gearing which puts more strain on the driveline. And the 392 is designed to be launched on the street repeatedly which is about as hard as it gets for an off road vehicle.

2. The 10R60 is in use in the Explorer ST which has the EXACT same torque as the 2.7 Bronco, but also higher horsepower, tows more, is heavier, and also has less favorable differential gearing. Like the 392, the engineers have designed the ST to to withstand repeated 0-60 launches on the street which is about the toughest thing you can do to a transmission other than tow.

The transmission in the Bronco is living a pretty easy life unless youā€™re just beating the absolute piss out of it.

If I was this worried about transmission problems Iā€™d get a cooler and be done with it. Heat is what really kills em, and that really doesnā€™t have much to do with the torque output but more how itā€™s used. If youā€™re constantly maxed out towing with your Bronco through hills in the summer, yeah maybe Iā€™d be a bit concerned. But for 99% of use cases the 10r60 will be just fine.
Or there is the top comparison with the "weaker" transmission in the 2.0 and 3.6 Wrangler.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Mr Nice I agree 100 percent. You would have to read earlier in this post but this guy from Bama ColbyFromBama. disagreed with me when I said I ordered the 2.7 because it has both DI and port fuel injection. He said get a catch can I was trying to say I think the engineers at Ford and other manufactures may be a little smarter than him. Then he give the through up emoji. He is a Clown
Ford Bronco Why I switched to the 2.3L over the 2.7L... 0842A27E-A259-438A-912B-5B1623FE966C

Calm down buddy, itā€™s a Bronco forum šŸ˜‚

OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
My BMW N52, which is not direct injected, has a version of factory catch can system called CCV (crank case ventilation). It's all plastic, which eventually breaks at high mileage. But because it is a factory system, it has to return the captured oil back to the engine. My N52 dumps the oil back into the oil pan via a hose. No manufacturer can produce a catch can system that relies on the owner to dump the can, so the type of catch can system you are thinking of, an aftermarket system, is not feasible for a mass produced vehicle.
Bingo! Unfortunately, it looks like this logic goes over a lot of peopleā€™s heads.

Eric L

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Edge Sport, 2018 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bingo! Unfortunately, it looks like this logic goes over a lot of peopleā€™s heads.
Hey Colby...can I get another puke emoji? I'm feeling left out...

OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hey Colby...can I get another puke emoji? I'm feeling left out...
Ford Bronco Why I switched to the 2.3L over the 2.7L... CA6E5BAA-771D-44DE-8249-BF5A0907FE6A
You have anything relevant to add to this thread...Or are you just gonna be a Karen? šŸ˜‚

We are talking about engines here.

Sponsored

Eric L

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Edge Sport, 2018 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Why I switched to the 2.3L over the 2.7L... CA6E5BAA-771D-44DE-8249-BF5A0907FE6A
You have anything relevant to add to this thread...Or are you just gonna be a Karen? šŸ˜‚

We are talking about engines here.
you took the time to go look up my posts on other threads and puke emoji them...pretty childish

OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
you took the time to go look up my posts on other threads and puke emoji them...pretty childish
Ford Bronco Why I switched to the 2.3L over the 2.7L... C968CCBE-0AF8-4A6C-8139-036B9735B4FC

I get that youā€™re really upset. But please try and keep the thread on topic. We are speaking about engines.

Maybe think twice about puking on everyoneā€™s posts next time šŸ˜‚

john houseman

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150, 2000 F-250, 1969 Cougar Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But the rating on the manual is right near the rating of the 2.7 also!!! LOL
I wonder why Ford nixed that idea?
Most often it's emissions that keep Factory from using a manual trans., not it's power handling. I don't recall any Ford products with a 2.7 or 3.0 using a manual trans. The 5.0 is a completely different format in the Mustang than in the F-150, so that it can be matched with a manual trans. This may also be why the GT500 was not offered with a manual, I'm not sure.

The 2.3 uses a manual in several different applications.

OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Most often it's emissions that keep Factory from using a manual trans., not it's power handling. I don't recall any Ford products with a 2.7 or 3.0 using a manual trans. The 5.0 is a completely different format in the Mustang than in the F-150, so that it can be matched with a manual trans. This may also be why the GT500 was not offered with a manual, I'm not sure.
Good point. Iā€™ve never thought about this.

Sponsored

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You mean like this!? :ROFLMAO:

Ford Bronco Why I switched to the 2.3L over the 2.7L... 71AB0348-1E30-48F7-AC33-235B4473F714
Pretty sure he's 12. Either that or he actually works at Bama. Either way there seems to be little to no experience/ knowledge in "talking about engines" backing him up.

"So put a catch can on it"....lolll.

*Patiently awaiting my puke emoji.*

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks you @ColbyFromBama for being consistent and bringing a smile to my face!! It's nice to be noticed. šŸ˜

OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Pretty sure he's 12. Either that or he actually works at Bama. Either way there seems to be little to no experience/ knowledge in "talking about engines" backing him up.

"So put a catch can on it"....lolll.

*Patiently awaiting my puke emoji.*
Ford Bronco Why I switched to the 2.3L over the 2.7L... B48AB43B-1B90-4B4B-8B46-F7A1C643EC8D

Big tough internet guys talking sh*t on a Bronco forum, because theyā€™re upset about an opinion of an engine. šŸ˜‚

Sorry, didnā€™t meant to hurt your feelings so bad! šŸ˜­

Now maybe stick to the topic of engines...

OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score