Sponsored

Why I switched to the 2.3L over the 2.7L...

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
1C1786DD-B58D-4041-85E4-C8373B976659.gif

The 2.7 is an extremely powerful engine. The twin turbos really add an incredible amount of torque. Unfortunately, I think the 2.7 has too much torque for the 10R60 transmission the Bronco is getting. In fact, the 10R60 transmission only has a torque rating slightly above what the stock 2.7 puts out. Which means if you get the 2.7, youā€™ll have a lot of wear and tear on your Bronco transmission, especially if you add a tune.

Iā€™m more worried about the longevity of my Bronco, than immediate power. And I donā€™t feel like upgrading my transmission. So Iā€™m sticking with the 2.3L. And Iā€™ll add a tune later. Iā€™ve driven both engines, and you can barely tell the difference unless youā€™re on a steep hill.

If Ford offered the 10R80 transmission in the Bronco, Iā€™d without a doubt upgrade to the 2.7. Even the Ranger comes standard with the 10R80, that allows for more torque than the Bronco.

Added input from Ford Engineer:

36C34F93-C6AA-4A16-8B01-25FB51126117.jpeg
Ford trans engineer doesn't know if it is Ft-lbs or N-m?
Sponsored

BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
@NotOJsBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The 2.7 is an extremely powerful engine. The twin turbos really add an incredible amount of torque. Unfortunately, I think the 2.7 has too much torque for the 10R60 transmission the Bronco is getting. In fact, the 10R60 transmission only has a torque rating slightly above what the stock 2.7 puts out. Which means if you get the 2.7, youā€™ll have a lot of wear and tear on your Bronco transmission, especially if you add a tune.

Added input from Ford Engineer:

36C34F93-C6AA-4A16-8B01-25FB51126117.jpeg
Looks like you were correct.

ā€œBronco Brand Manager Esteban Plaza-Jennings told BN that the 10R60 is more than capable of handling the Broncoā€™s power output, as the trans is rated at 406lb-ft with the 2.3L engine and 424lb-ft with the 2.7L engine. For reference, the 2.3L engine is projected to produce 310lb-ft of torque, while the 2.7L will produce 400lb-ft.ā€

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Explorer ST, ā€˜19 GT350, ā€˜21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

They actually canā€™t handle the power though...

ā€œConsumer Reports was one of the first outlets to get a 2020 Ford Explorer and take it out for a test drive. They noticed right away that driving the Ford Explorer in suburban settings can be somewhat of a problem. The 2020 Ford Explorer has an issue with lurching and pulling while you're driving. There are also some very rough shifts from first gear to second gear after you experienced these lurches and pulls which tend to happen when you stop at stop signs and traffic lights. Additionally, the transition from 2nd to 3rd gear has also proven to be problematic.

Another issue that test drivers noticed with the Ford Explorerā€™s transmission for the 2020 model year was that it will hold on to a gear longer than it needs to. Typically, when you're driving with an automatic transmission once your engine reaches the appropriate RPM's for a gear shift to take place it will do so. That's essentially the whole purpose of an automatic transmission. It recognizes that your vehicle is up to the required speed and assessing the shifting gears. However, the transmission in this model year of the Explorer stays in a lower gear longer than it should and in turn causes some serious noise to come from the engine as a result.ā€
Consumer reports. Thatā€™s funny.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
They actually canā€™t handle the power though... Another issue that test drivers noticed with the Ford Explorerā€™s transmission for the 2020 model year was that it will hold on to a gear longer than it needs to. Typically, when you're driving with an automatic transmission once your engine reaches the appropriate RPM's for a gear shift to take place it will do so. That's essentially the whole purpose of an automatic transmission. It recognizes that your vehicle is up to the required speed and assessing the shifting gears. However, the transmission in this model year of the Explorer stays in a lower gear longer than it should and in turn causes some serious noise to come from the engine as a result.ā€
I am as likely to trust the nanny crowd at Consumer Reports with car reviews as I am my Mom on the effects of Marijuana (and she's so incredibly naive that it's meme worthy). Stays in the gear longer than it should?!? Did the engine fall flat on its face, did any damage occur, or did it just accelerate faster? "Serious noise" from the engine??? For real? Oh you mean it was increasing the power delivery with RPM and you could actually hear the engine?!? How scary!!!

GTFO with consumer reports, I trust them about as much as I trust the IRS, ATF, or the BBB.

myrealname123

Badlands
First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You guys, OP got banned a while ago. He gawn.

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I already have a VIN. July 19th Build Date. šŸ™‚

Definitely the other big benefit of the 2.3L.
Already have a VIN too, was a 26 July build date, now 2 Aug...
Have 2D, 2.7, MIC, LUX, and TOW - Another big benefit of not following the herd.
Went "In Production" today.
Reserved on 1/15/21
Ordered 5/4/21
VIN and PSP received 5/24/21
Build date 7/26/2021 8/2/2021

If you want to call one week a "big benefit" you go with that! It's awesome that your build is getting done (I think everyone is excited when one of us goes to production).