Sponsored

Why I'll never run a spare tire delete..

Brockdog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST-Line
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I had two flats in a week, glad I had a full size spare.
Sponsored

Strykerwsu

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holden Commodores
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yet another reason not to have one...EV...not spare tire.
My last 3 ice vehicles, not Bronco, only came with a can of goo. It’s all about cutting cost and weight. Not EV etc

so I had to source spares, not too hard with so many going to aftermarket wheels now.

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
No need for a tire when you can use this:
FzIdkOT.jpg
This kit only works if you are able to pull the tire off the rim and patch repair from the inside the tire.

labattbluebronco

Base
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 bronco, 18 silverado, 11 taurus, 01 wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

While I've only used the spare on my own vehicle twice in 37 years of driving, I will keep the spare on the back. I think it looks good with it on there and agree with OP that it is nice to have in the (unlikely for me?) event of a flat.

CP650

First Name
C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Plugs work great for nails and screws in the tread face, I've run more than I can count over the years. But if you get a sidewall puncture or tear, good luck. Nothing fixing that but a spare. Never go off-road without a spare.

Sponsored

CeeCeeBronco

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
CeeCee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lol, rough estimate, using the screw jack was a PITA since I could only make a quarter turn at a time under the car.
You didn't run the extender? You should be able to jack it up while standing beside the Bronco.

OP
OP
LightRefined

LightRefined

Outer Banks
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You didn't run the extender? You should be able to jack it up while standing beside the Bronco.
.... Well shit. That's what that was for?

I am not a smart person.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well, to be honest, most people deleting the spare around town would throw it in for an 11 hour drive from home and probably half of all new cars sold today don't come with spares anyway.

You should have plugs and a compressor in there, so you would have been fine. I rarely have the spare in my Tacoma for around town driving, but of course throw it in for trips. In 10+ years of driving the Tacoma I've yet to need the spare but have used the plug and compressor several times.

Plugs work OK, but in my experience they eventually leak, so I don't recommend them unless you're near the end of life of the tire.
Last time I had a tire patched was some time in the 80s. I've plugged many tires and never had a single one leak (well, the one that required 5 plugs in one hole, but that was just to get me back to town). The last set of tires I took off the Tacoma had one tire with more than 30K miles and another with over 20K miles on plugs that were never an issue. I'll take plugging a tire over removing and patching a tire any day.

Ogre

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BD 2dr 7MT CG, '18 Indian Chieftain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Picked up my Bronco on a Tuesday, the following Sunday I heard something clattering in the wheel well during a drive and noticed the front passenger tire was low on the monitor when I got home. The next day, I looked at my Bronco in the garage and noticed the front end was much lower than the rear than I remembered. Sure enough, passenger front was flat. Not even 300 miles. I was parked to close to the side of the garage that I had to inflate the tire to back the Bronco out to change the tire. Took it to the dealer and had it patched. They did it for free since I had less than 300 miles LOL, but the point is that a flat can happen anytime anywhere!

Plugs work OK, but in my experience they eventually leak, so I don't recommend them unless you're near the end of life of the tire.

I just wish they would put the spare tire pressure on the TPMS display, you'll never know the spare is flat by looking at it since there is no load, need to check pressure quite a bit.
Doesn't the TPMS use the rotation to read the pressures? At least I think that's how my Indian works.

GOATS

Black Diamond
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Imaginary Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
A spare is a must, but a full size with tpms these days is amazing. I had two flats in the same week. First one was in the side wall so I couldn't get it plugged; the second happened in the NEW tire days later (check out the hairy rubber nubs on outer wall). The crazy thing is that it wasn't a screw, it was a 2 inch long, flat tip, half inch diameter carriage bolt and it still went clean through. I must have hit it perfectly. Merry Christmas all!

Ford Bronco Why I'll never run a spare tire delete.. 20221225_063132

Sponsored

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Last time I had a tire patched was some time in the 80s. I've plugged many tires and never had a single one leak (well, the one that required 5 plugs in one hole, but that was just to get me back to town). The last set of tires I took off the Tacoma had one tire with more than 30K miles and another with over 20K miles on plugs that were never an issue. I'll take plugging a tire over removing and patching a tire any day.
Well, I have heard that plugs don't work well on low profile sports car and motorcycle tires, which are the only ones I've plugged so far. I have heard they work better on regular and truck tires. But still, for $25, I rather have a patch if possible.

Doesn't the TPMS use the rotation to read the pressures? At least I think that's how my Indian works.
I don't think so, and I've filled / deflated tires while sitting still and the TPMS updates, but it takes a few minutes.

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ve owned two vehicles that did not come with a spare and never had a flat on either, nor can I remember the last time I had a flat. In the Bronco I do carry a tire repair kit and I can’t imagine going off-roading with a spare.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Everyone should carry and know how to use a tire repair/plug kit. It’s like a standard thing people should know. My dad showed me when I was around 8-9 doing atv tires. I was on my own after that. I’ve taught many how to use them over the years. They are cheap and easy to store. Have many uses.

But it won’t cover you for side wall tears. Which that spare comes in handy for.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, an hour into an 11 hour road trip from Kentucky to Mississippi Thursday night, I get a low tire pressure warning.

Pull into a gas station and lo and behold, there's a screw poking out of my passenger rear tire. What could've been a much more annoying situation turned into an hour's work swapping in the spare. So glad the Bronco comes with a full size spare with TPMS, it's a huge stress relief.

With the angle that the screw is protruding out of the tire it’s not a good candidate for a patch, too many radial belts in the tire are impacted for it to be safe afterwards. Any tire shop following the best practices should refuse the repair, when they grind the hole out square to the tread the damaged area would be over 1/4”. The liability for failure from an improper repair is too high, many main line dealerships won’t patch anything anymore. I doubt Discount Tire would patch that one.

I don't disagree, I'll probably have the tire plugged.. I just appreciate the reliability of being able to just throw another wheel on instead of wondering if a patch/plug/etc is going to hold for another 10 hours straight driving at highway speeds.
I worked in safety for many years, so I’ll put on my safety hat for a minute. Plugs are a useful tool to get off the trail, but aren’t suitable for long term repairs on highway vehicles. The proper patch plug proceedure involves grinding out the hole and filling the void with vulcanizing material and a stem backed by a patch on the inside. The plugs don’t keep the salt and moisture out of the hole, allowing the steel belts to rust over time and fail. In my current position managing a fleet of 140 trucks and 60 trailers we get lots of flat tires. I had to break my mechanics of the habit of plugging truck tires. Plugs are fine for non road going machines, but I don’t want the liability of our company trucks and trailers running them in sue happy MA.

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I got a flat in my ranger with the non TPMS spare.

Fun fact without the sensors your traction control, and ABS shutoff and your steering gets way heavier
Sponsored