Sponsored

Why is 2.7L tow capacity limited to 3500 lbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Help me figure this out.
A 4 door Bronco has a WB of 116", weighs around 5200 lbs and has lower gear ratios available as well as the more powerful 2.7 eco with a tow rating of 3500 lbs
The Explorer's WB is 119", weighs 4400 lbs and only has the 2.3 eco but will tow 5600 lbs?

Somethings funny in Denmark- Detroit I mean....
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There could be soooooooo many reasons why the capacity could be legitimately only 3,500... maybe it's suspension.... maybe it's transmission cooling... maybe it's frame cross member strength... maybe it's vehicle height... maybe it's tires...

Or perhaps it's artificially limited to 3,500 to not rob sales from the Ranger or other platforms...

But either way, the receiver is a Class II and only rated to 3,500 lbs. This is the most glaring initial reason for the limit.

There have been thousands of words spilt on this over the past year... lots of discussion hypothesizing why the rating is what it is, and around people planning on upgrading the receiver and rear suspension after delivery with plans to exceed the published rating.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/is-the-towing-capacity-really-that-bad.8730/

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/what-would-be-a-realistic-towing-capacity.3614/

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/bronco-towing-vs-ranger-why-the-difference.7604/

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/towing-capacity.716/

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/increase-towing-capacity-with-upgrades-to-suspension.11536/

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/towing-capacity.7588/

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/any-chance-the-tow-capacity-gets-increased.7587/

Last edited:

John Bronco_ I am here

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnbronco.com
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '08 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's a class II receiver... there could be soooooooo many reasons why the capacity could be legitimately only 3,500... or could be artificially limited to 3,500.... but either way... the receiver is only rated to 3,500 lbs...
Class II is a 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" receiver, the ones I've seen in pics are 2" square. ???

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Class II is a 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" receiver, the ones I've seen in pics are 2" square. ???
A certain class rating carries a minimum receiver size, but not a maximum receiver size.

The Bronco has a 2" Class II receiver, just like the Jeep Wrangler

Ford Bronco Why is 2.7L tow capacity limited to 3500 lbs? Tow Ratings

Sponsored

Deleted member 18651

I mean just looking at the way the hitch is mounted clarifies things, at least to me. Itā€™s a c-channel bolted on to the cross member. I am sure they couldnā€™t rate that very high to begin with let alone the suspension definitely contributes to a lower tongue weight.

I have confidence in the capability of the Bronco to pull some weight, including itā€™s own when they get stuck so Iā€™m sure the aftermarket will clear this up. Might need to delete the muffler to actually have extra clearance for a properly based hitch but itā€™s definitely doable.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I suspect the low tow capacity is directly related to the suspension. If memory serves me correctly the towing capacity for a Raptor is much less than a regular F150 because of the suspension...a soft, flexible suspension = less towing capability.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A certain class rating carries a minimum receiver size, but not a maximum receiver size.

The Bronco has a 2" Class II receiver, just like the Jeep Wrangler

Ford Bronco Why is 2.7L tow capacity limited to 3500 lbs? Tow Ratings
I tried to explain that 50 different ways, but that one is the best- minimum doesn't mean only size. 2" does not automatically equate to class III in this case. I am hoping to get a Class III integrated into a rear bumper, here is to hope!!!!

Sponsored

John Bronco_ I am here

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnbronco.com
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '08 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Size does not equal class rating.
There appears to be some confusion between a size hitch rating and the term "class II trailer tow package". I assure you size does matter in this situation. The entire "package" is de-rated due to a certain factor(s), this factor has a high probability of not being the actual hitch in this situation.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There appears to be some confusion between a size hitch rating and the term "class II trailer tow package". I assure you size does matter in this situation. The entire "package" is de-rated due to a certain factor(s), this factor has a high probability of not being the actual hitch in this situation.
I think you're splitting some weird hairs here.

I don't know of anyone or anywhere that would say "it has a Class III receiver but the vehicle is rated Class II." When speaking about "classes" it is reference to the capabilities of the receiver. Tow rating is a separate amount from receiver ratings.

The Ford document is stating that the vehicle has a tow package, that is rated Class II.... in that, the limits on trailer weight, and tongue weight, are that of a Class II receiver... then they further limit tow rating below the 3,500lb max of the receiver class based on trim.

If the receiver were say, a Class III, then the tongue weight would reflect that... Ford could have said "Class III receiver with a max tow weight of 3,500 lbs"... but they don't.. They say it's a Class II...

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Move along folks.....
Nothing to see here.....

@Administrator please fill free to close this thread, as links and currently known information has been provided by @ZackDanger

Thanks @ZackDanger for providing the links and other information.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.