Why is Dealer Allocation even a thing?

Deputy909

Outer Banks
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150, 2013 Traverse, 2007 Mustang Conv.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
General question. Why is Dealer Allocation even a thing?
If a hundred thousand people walked in over the next month and ordered a thousand Ford vehicles Ford would build them without regard to the dealer that they were purchased at, right? So why are Bronco orders being handled differently?
Sponsored

TXBoy79

Wildtrak
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Good question…it’s really disheartening having an early reservation, shopping around dealerships to get the best deal only to find out that the reservation means nothing.
I could probably build one today and go through a big dealership and get it before my July 16th 2020 reservation.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

If a hundred thousand people walked in over the next month and ordered a thousand Ford vehicles Ford would build them without regard to the dealer that they were purchased at, right? So why are Bronco orders being handled differently?
No, your totally wrong. Dealer allocation is used by every manufacturer and every vehicle. Especially high demand. When you understand that the dealers are Fords customers and not you, it makes more sense.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It rewards dealer who give Ford the most business the most Broncos. Allocations are nothing new and is a standard practice in a lot of industries. You want to give the dealer who sells the most the most product. Because they will sell the most product.

Blitzjb

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It is common in many industries, not just automotive

Sponsored

FloatingMoat

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, BMW F800GSA & Onewheel Pint
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, your totally wrong. Dealer allocation is used by every manufacturer and every vehicle. Especially high demand. When you understand that the dealers are Fords customers and not you, it makes more sense.
You are correct in the whole dealers are fords customers, and yes, that is why allocation makes sense. The whole High Vehicle demand is removing the need for dealerships New auto manufacturers are going without dealers and instead going direct to consumer. As an example, Tesla has no dealers, and you are Tesla's customer if you purchase a Tesla - dealer model is gone, and my friends who have purchased this route have very little bad to say about the purchasing and service model sans dealers.

RenoBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

When you understand that the dealers are Fords customers and not you, it makes more sense.
The lack of understanding this represents the majority of the frustration I read in comments on here.

That said, it's refreshing to see companies like Tesla and Rivian start to eliminate a very unnecessary and frustrating part of the auto industry and this point.

timstrong20

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Toyota Venza and 2020 Honda Civic Hatchback
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That said, it's refreshing to see companies like Tesla and Rivian start to eliminate a very unnecessary and frustrating part of the auto industry and this point.
I disagree that dealerships are unnecessary. They are no different than a hardware store, grocery store or drug store, with the exception that they usually only carry the products of one manufacturer. If manufacturers only sold direct to the consumer they would only service major centres and that would leave millions of people without access to new vehicles. Tesla is an outlier because they are a boutique manufacturer who do not cater to the general public; and their customer base is in major urban centres.

RenoBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I disagree that dealerships are unnecessary. They are no different than a hardware store, grocery store or drug store, with the exception that they usually only carry the products of one manufacturer. If manufacturers only sold direct to the consumer they would only service major centres and that would leave millions of people without access to new vehicles. Tesla is an outlier because they are a boutique manufacturer who do not cater to the general public; and their customer base is in major urban centres.
Fair point

Sponsored

CobraKaiSG

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TTS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
because as much as ford tried to replicate an element of tesla's model, at the end of the day they still are going through their dealerships- i personally would be ok with the whole industry going direct to consumer like tesla. tired of this dealership model with all the haggling and the BS scams

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's stupid bullshit that we have people who never reserved going in and ordering constraint filled Broncos, getting scheduled while we have folks that have waited 500+ days.

Ford is the CEO of screwing up a good thing.

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They are only alike in the fact that they serve as a middle man. Otherwise my vehicle buying experiences have no resemblance to my hardware or grocery purchases...none whatsoever fortunately lol

Blue's B6G

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OB 2-Door V6 Sasquatch AMB High Pack
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
When you understand that the dealers are Fords customers and not you, it makes more sense.
You are correct in the whole dealers are fords customers
The lack of understanding this represents the majority of the frustration I read in comments on here.
🤦🏻‍♂️

Instead of parroting what you heard, maybe step back and think about this one for a second.

Without actual customers like me, do you think Ford keeps building vehicles?

FloatingMoat

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, BMW F800GSA & Onewheel Pint
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

🤦🏻‍♂️

Instead of parroting what you heard, maybe step back and think about this one for a second.

Without actual customers like me, do you think Ford keeps building vehicles?
Completely agreed - which is why in the rest of my comment I stated that the dealer model is outdated and needs to change.
Sponsored