Sponsored

Why is everyone afraid of the engine bay?

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just wait til you add lights, winch, and other accessories. More wires to go with all those hoses! 😂
Here is a V8 Toyota engine bay with a winch, 2 auxiliary light circuits and an amp wired in for my sub. The plastic cover does make it a cleaner look (despite the dirt) but take the cover off and it's still prettier than the 2.7.
NjvGNYA.jpg

SlkfIiO.jpg

uR2hxSm.jpg
Sponsored

jay-rod427

Badlands
First Name
Jerod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized gray 2 dr BadLands Sans-Squatch ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
B6Ger's today= It's so ugly and cluttered. I can't even work on it with all that crap in the way. I wish it was like engines 40 years ago that were easy to work on.

Ford Engineers= Ya it ain't pretty, but it'll make terrific power, solid fuel economy, and will extremely rarely need to be worked on. I don't care if it's not the easiest thing to work on because it shouldn't really need touched. Hell don't even change the oil until at least 7,500 miles.

All this old simple easy to work on engine shit. You do realize those old "simple easy to work on" engines always needed worked on. They were unreliable junk. By todays high annual mileage standards you'd have to put spark plugs in that old technology at least once a year, adjust the carb, check the distributor, replace gaskets often. 100K miles and the rings were shot, valves shot, timing chain slapping.

Todays engines taken care of will go 100K miles without blinking. On the boosted engines change the spark plugs at 50K, change the oil on time, and rock it. Of course there are exceptions like a leaky water pump, or failed starter or some small repair, but all things considered todays engines really are a feat of longevity, power, and fuel economy.

PartyMarty

Black Diamond
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Black Bear, 2009 VW Rabbit
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

All of the spark plugs are a hell of a lot easier to access on the 2.3 and 2.7 eb than the Jeep 3.6 pentstar.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

B6Ger's today= It's so ugly and cluttered. I can't even work on it with all that crap in the way. I wish it was like engines 40 years ago that were easy to work on.

Ford Engineers= Ya it ain't pretty, but it'll make terrific power, solid fuel economy, and will extremely rarely need to be worked on. I don't care if it's not the easiest thing to work on because it shouldn't really need touched. Hell don't even change the oil until at least 7,500 miles.

All this old simple easy to work on engine shit. You do realize those old "simple easy to work on" engines always needed worked on. They were unreliable junk. By todays high annual mileage standards you'd have to put spark plugs in that old technology at least once a year, adjust the carb, check the distributor, replace gaskets often. 100K miles and the rings were shot, valves shot, timing chain slapping.

Todays engines taken care of will go 100K miles without blinking. On the boosted engines change the spark plugs at 50K, change the oil on time, and rock it. Of course there are exceptions like a leaky water pump, or failed starter or some small repair, but all things considered todays engines really are a feat of longevity, power, and fuel economy.
Truth. I just traded in my 2010 Camaro SS with 143k miles on her. Oil and fluid changes as called for. New plugs once and changed upstream O2 sensors a few weeks back. No other mechanical issues. Pads, rotors and tires were really the only other maintenance needed. Was still knocking down 19.8 mpg on my 70+mile mostly interstate commute with plenty of power when called on.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base

We’re literally comparing this to vehicles produced in the last 10 years. Pretending these concerns are immaterial doesn’t make them disappear. Again I point back to my engine bay on page 2 out of a 2017 vehicle with good power, good fuel economy, easy to work on, and more reliable than either of the Bronco engines.

Sponsored

jkburg

First Edition
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura 2020/2022 ILX, 2017 RDX
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
What is an engine bay? Is that the thing in front that makes the car go? When I take it in to the dealer for an oil change or if the light comes on for service he makes it go away.

Ta2punk

Raptor
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Not sure, maybe new drivers or drivers that really don't know there way around an engine. I think it's easy for people to hear about issues with turbo charged engines in general and start doubting/getting worried. Also, possibly due to no pictures of a plastic shroud being on top and it just appearing messy idk. Just spitballing here.

I used to be afraid to touch anything in my cars engines or get worried hearing horror stories about issues they had. Then in 2013 I got a Mazdaspeed 3 and found a group in my city at the time (san Antonio) with other owners of the same car. I got into cars then, bought aftermarket parts and my friends showed me how to do the installs and troubleshoot engine stuff myself (nothing incredibly crazy). I've owned turbo charged 4cyl cars since then and my current car has a 14 year old engine in it that I have done extensive work to myself.

I don't know anything about troubleshooting/repairing off road issues so I' excited to get this vehicle and learn all that stuff and engine stuff.

OP
OP
ATLBronco75

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The people posting fully aftermarket show car engine bays are cracking me up. Look how clean this is: "NA V8" , "20 feet of aftermarket plumbing", "A freaking LAMBORGHINI" . ROFLMAO

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All of the spark plugs are a hell of a lot easier to access on the 2.3 and 2.7 eb than the Jeep 3.6 pentstar.
Agreed. The spark plugs are very easy to access.

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You boys just need to sign up for a few classes at the local community college to learn how to work on a modern engine.

Or, you are welcome to come down to Alabama and enroll either at Wallace State, Jeff State, Shelton State, Lawson State, or Bishop State technical and community colleges. All are great with very experienced master mechanics as instructors, they're passionate, and the schools tuition is cheap.

The auto programs at these schools are top notch and once you're done, the engine bay won't be so scary and may actually seem like a work of art.

Very good mechanics in Alabama as result of these and a few other schools.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am still getting one (2.3) and i have been wrenching since post diapers ,yall have to admit that is an ugly engine pit! full of failure points . I know the days of bare 1 wire na v8 clean bays are long gone but if your excited about this mess your in for a crash course in the school of hard knocks.

Drunken Wisdom (END)

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It's fine. I think there's a subset that is used to naked carbed V8s.
Yeah you're a little bit off.

There is a subset that would gladly TAKE a naked carbed V8 over a turbo any day!!

Or so I've heard anyways 🤷‍♂️

David12691

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Having seen it in person it looks complicated, but there are a lot of people on here up in arms about something I don't feel is a big deal.

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I know one thing, I use a hell of a lot less rags when changing the oil in my wife's 2011 Explorer, and my 2015 F-150 than my 1974 Bronco. When you pull the front drain plug and filter on the early Bronco it dumps it on the drag link, tie rod, and differential. The 3.5L in the Explorer is probably the easiest oil change I ever done.
Sponsored