Sponsored

Why is everyone afraid of the engine bay?

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I cant even see the sight glasses on the float bowls through all that wiring. How hard is it gonna be to get to the jets?

For real though as long as there are not parts on the engine that are only removable by first pulling the motor than I wont damage the fenders by striking it full power with a friggin metric wrench!

brocotect

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Your Bronco Model
Base
Spiders; lots of places for spiders to hide in there.

• Haha
Reactions: Jdc

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I know one thing, I use a hell of a lot less rags when changing the oil in my wife's 2011 Explorer, and my 2015 F-150 than my 1974 Bronco. When you pull the front drain plug and filter on the early Bronco it dumps it on the drag link, tie rod, and differential. The 3.5L in the Explorer is probably the easiest oil change I ever done.
It does that on purpose so you inspect, clean, and grease them. Or atleat lubricate the finish to prevent rust. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My current vehicle has an engine bay that's about 0.01 cubic inches larger than the engine sitting in it. The Bronco engine does not scare me.
I used to own an Audi A3 3.2 Quattro. It was essentially a Golf with a V6 and AWD shoehorned into it. My steering rack went bad (thankfully, under warranty) and they had to jack the engine to replace it. I don't remember specifics, but it was like 3x the labor that would be expected.

Since then I've talked to a friend of a friend about this. She is an engineer at GM. She told me that they have "clearance" requirements for all fasteners and parts that may need to be changed.

She said the idea is to eliminate situations like that. Though it makes it more difficult to design a compact, space efficient car.

lasttj

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep TJ, '16 Ford F150, '65 VW Beetle
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Want to have some fun in an engine bay (if you can call it an engine)? Change the spark plugs on a Prius. About an hour of removing plastic stuff and the entire windshield wiper mechanism, and 5 minutes to change the plugs. Then another hour to put it all back together.

Spray

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My first car was a 1977 Camaro with the 350 V8. I learned to work on that car in high school auto shop. It was a gutless turd that couldn't spin the tires if its life depended on it, but the engine bay was fairly open and accessible. Of course that 12-foot-long hood helped. 😜

I don't imagine high school auto shop students will be doing much work on twin-turbo V6's in 2021. :(
They still have shop class in Utah! Down here in Florida (aka southern New York) they got rid of that class decades ago. :confused:

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

As a long time turbo car owner. In the 2.7 I see remarkably clean plumbing for a production vehicle with two turbos and a FMIC (front mounted inter cooler)

Are folks just not used to turbo engine bays?
The engine bay on my Raptor is far cleaner looking than the Bronco. There is a lot of plumbing to fit in the tighter space of the Bronco. I feel they could have done a better job of routing hoses and wiring. Likely it came to to cost. Use parts bin pieces from other vehicles or spend more and have special built parts for the Bronco. The routing is bad enough that they couldn't use a plastic engine cover to hide the mess.

Sponsored

Ig_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Smuck

First Edition
First Name
Shon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
32 Ford
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
OH MY GOD.

THANK YOU.

I think for a certain group of people, there is a revisionist history in their mind about how an engine is "supposed" to look.

What they think they remember:

chevelle-1969-960.jpg

Reality:

100_3353.jpg
That Chevy engine looks good but no power steering or AC also not one coolant hose so it wouldn’t run anyways.

nick112288

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
All of the spark plugs are a hell of a lot easier to access on the 2.3 and 2.7 eb than the Jeep 3.6 pentstar.
Did they ever redesign it so you didn't have to take off the intake manifold to get the Pentastar plugs?
Sponsored