Sponsored

Why is everyone hellbent on infotainment specs?

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just want a car that doesn’t blast my Apple Music every time I start my car like my Camrys do lol. Still haven’t found a Real fix

I’m all for touchscreens and technology but keep it simple.
Sponsored

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't care about touchscreens in a vehicle, but I do want excellent hands free interaction. I like to command my virtual assistants to do my bidding while I'm driving. That sync lady in my current truck with original sync never calls the right people when I give her an order. Annoying. I've had to resort to making Google Assistant do my bidding now.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
In 2018, I was shopping for a base trim half ton pickup. The GM twins offered a nice 8" touch screen, and Apple Car Play, while Ford and Ram had a basic button radio, with a screen the size of a Post-It note for you backup camera.

I did not buy the GM only because of the Car Play, but once I used it, I was very happy I did not buy one of the trucks without it. Having Google Maps on the dash, Play Music pumping the tunes, and Siri on standby to read and send text messages while driving has proven to be very enjoyable.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
In 2018, I was shopping for a base trim half ton pickup. The GM twins offered a nice 8" touch screen, and Apple Car Play, while Ford and Ram had a basic button radio, with a screen the size of a Post-It note for you backup camera.

I did not buy the GM only because of the Car Play, but once I used it, I was very happy I did not buy one of the trucks without it. Having Google Maps on the dash, Play Music pumping the tunes, and Siri on standby to read and send text messages while driving has proven to be very enjoyable.
People seem to hate tech until they have it and get used to it and then they need to have it.
I can still remember my Dad back in 1967 when I wanted to buy a color TV. My Dad was furious that my Mom co-signed for me to get one. That changed the first night Bonanza came on and the Cartwrights came riding out. I'll never forget the look on his face.

DaBoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As another one of the younger users here (22), all I'm looking for in infotainment systems is how well it works. Does it take more than 20 seconds to load up when you start the vehicle? Can it process requests faster than a computer from 2010? How long does it take for your phone to pair up to it? Does it drop connection with my phone randomly? Are the climate controls their own, physical, dedicated knobs not at all related to a touch screen?

It's just like any technology, I want it to work well and not give me issues. It will keep getting better the longer we have to fine tune it.

Sponsored

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As another one of the younger users here (22), all I'm looking for in infotainment systems is how well it works. Does it take more than 20 seconds to load up when you start the vehicle? Can it process requests faster than a computer from 2010? How long does it take for your phone to pair up to it? Does it drop connection with my phone randomly? Are the climate controls their own, physical, dedicated knobs not at all related to a touch screen?

It's just like any technology, I want it to work well and not give me issues. It will keep getting better the longer we have to fine tune it.
in my 14 250 plat I am a mile down the road before my phone finally pairs up.

on the aftermarket deck on my 06 250 it is paired before the deck finishes booting up which takes about as long as it takes the truck to crank.

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm on a computer all day, I've built my own computers. I love electronics!

Now that I got that out of the way, I could care less about an infotainment system. Give me Bluetooth to pair my phone to so I can play my music and I'm good. Like others have said, it takes your eyes away from the road while you try to skip a track or change the station, I just don't need it. Hell if the law allowed it, I'd say remove the backup camera too. That's why God invented 2 side mirrors and 1 rear mirror ? damn kids ha ha.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not trying to be rude to those that really care about this, just trying to understand why there is such emphasis on vehicle infotainment recently

I frequently hear things like "Brand X is really dropping that ball since they haven't included Apple Car Play", "The screen on model Y is too small", " I really like Ford's Sync Z", etc. I'm one of the younger guys here and my two vehicles are from 1988 and 1994. Why all the focus on infotainment? Do you really a screen to stare at during every stage of your day?

Please enlighten me.
Some people are really, really, REALLY into the accouterments/gadgets. It's one of the primary reasons they buy a new car. A buddy of mine is like that. Every car he buys loaded. All the extras are like sugar. He told me if you buy new, you "have to buy loaded". I told him I honestly was not into the gadgets. He stared at me blank faced blinking like a cartoon character, lol. I've since learned the difficulty bridging the divide, between those who are into the accouterments, and those who are not. Hopefully Ford offers options to meet the needs of varied buyers.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Some people are really, really, REALLY into the accouterments/gadgets. It's one of the primary reasons they buy a new car. A buddy of mine is like that. Every car he buys loaded. All the extras are like sugar. He told me if you buy new, you "have to buy loaded". I told him I honestly was not into the gadgets. He stared at me blank faced blinking like a cartoon character, lol. I've since learned the difficulty bridging the divide, between those who are into the accouterments, and those who are not. Hopefully Ford offers options to meet the needs of varied buyers.
To those we know their car payments are like +$$$$$ and their savings are like -$----

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
different strokes for different folks. I mean, for me, a car or truck is about the power to the ground, where I can take it, and how fast I can get there.

For others a car is simply a way to get A to B, for some that's it, and they'll get the cheapest thing that does the job, and spend money on their new patio, or vacation, or what have you. For others they want those 2 hours stuck in traffic to be cushy. I can't blame 'em.

Others love road trips, it's not about the power though, but the ease of driving, traveling with friends and the comfort they can have in it (and also sleep in it too, I used to do this a lot, and would much rather have had one of the vehicles out now for that than what I had 20 years ago...especially that fold flat seat in the 2021 F-150.)

Others it is just way to get their boat to the launch so they can go fishing, they don't care that their truck is a rust bucket from 1982 and only has brakes on 3 of the wheels and none of the tires match, as long as it can get the boat in and out of the water.

Sponsored

Slickrock

Wildtrak
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 06
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
yeah, my problem with screens vs tactile buttons is that you have to look to make sure you hit the right thing, vs buttons can be done by feel.
Oh I get that.. My example is with cameras. Back in my photojournalism days, I had two Nikon F4s's. I could do everything on those cameras with never looking at a dial. Then I got newer Nikons when those wore out, and I had to look at the screens. I finally got one of the newer Fuji cameras and one really has that feel, one still has a damn screen I need to look at. My next upgrade will be for one I can run buy feel as much as possible.

Car is a bit different, as you really don't have a viewfinder giving you as much feedback otherwise.

Best would be infotainment with haptic responses like an iPhone, so there's a tactile response, even on a screen.

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't care about touchscreens in a vehicle, but I do want excellent hands free interaction. I like to command my virtual assistants to do my bidding while I'm driving. That sync lady in my current truck with original sync never calls the right people when I give her an order. Annoying. I've had to resort to making Google Assistant do my bidding now.
Have you tried training it to recognize your voice and pronunciation?

I did that in my mustang and the accuracy shoots up through the roof

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I dont want any of the touch screens or Ford Sync system. I actually enjoy driving, I dont need all the other stuff to get in the way. I drove my wife's 2018 Explorer on a 350mi road trip last weekend and remembered how much I despise adaptive cruise control and the Ford touch screen. I will admit the Hyundai touch screen with Android Auto is way easier to navigate and more user friendly. Just give me knobs and buttons.

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you tried training it to recognize your voice and pronunciation?

I did that in my mustang and the accuracy shoots up through the roof
It's the original sync. I've had it for 7.5 years. If it doesn't know me by now...:LOL: Yes, I've done all the stuff. It's just annoying.

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I dont want any of the touch screens or Ford Sync system. I actually enjoy driving, I dont need all the other stuff to get in the way. I drove my wife's 2018 Explorer on a 350mi road trip last weekend and remembered how much I despise adaptive cruise control and the Ford touch screen. I will admit the Hyundai touch screen with Android Auto is way easier to navigate and more user friendly. Just give me knobs and buttons.
Adaptive cruise control is the best thing since...well...cruise control.
Sponsored