Sponsored

Why is ford recommending that we over inflate our tires.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Whenever I am traveling light, I inflate to just above the TPMS to keep the light off. This makes a much more comfortable ride. Rarely will I ever go much more than that. Same with My F-250.
I don't always run max load so why use max load pressure settings. I air up to haul the camper and gear for the adventurous days.
The TPMS setting is whatever you set it at. 35, 39, 45, even as low as 15. or the maximum pressure allowed for seating the bead.
Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I ran them at 38-39 the first month. Lowered to 35 the next. Like it much better at 35. Thinking about going down to 32.
Lower pressure equals more sidewall flex and less steering response not to mention a small but measurable decrease in mph due to minimally smaller rolling circumference. And increased sidewall flex at speed builds up more heat.

If you air to 39 cold and then drive 100 miles at even 55 your tires should be then be at about 42. If you stop for gas and measure 39 it indicates you probably were initially at about 36. Hotter air equals higher pressure.

Factory built and shipped the tires are at 50 psi. It is up to dealer pre delivery to lower them. Mine were 42 as delivered and ran flawlessly on first 2500 mile road trips. I have dropped to 39 for around town for the slightly softer ride

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Measuring them cold then looking at your dash will not reflect an accurate reading. Your dash is registering the tire pressure from the last time your tires were rotating, which was when they were hot. Go drive your car a few miles, then measure your tires and compare against your dash readings. Willing to bet that they will be the same.
Not true. I deflate and when I inflate I watch the dash to get the psi I want. It seems to be real time or at least every 30 seconds it re registers!

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm happy with 35 psi on my stock Sasquatch tires.

My e rated Nokian Hakkapeliitta winter tires I run at 30 psi but hate the low pressure light with a passion.
If you would simply reset the TPMS after installing the winter treads (assuming they have sensors mounted) then you would get no warnings. Tell the vehicle that 30 is correct. Or 39 or 45. Your vehicle does not know what the attached sticker says, it only knows what it was last set at.

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not true. I deflate and when I inflate I watch the dash to get the psi I want. It seems to be real time or at least every 30 seconds it re registers!
I believe you’re correct, I was thinking of swapping out the spare. Takes a couple miles for the TPMS to register with the vehicle.

Sponsored

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
They do that to meet mpg requirements for epa. You really need to do the chalk test and adjust your pressures for even wear. YouTube videos out there.. 4x4 101

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Read the tire sidewall. It says up to 10 psi additional inflation pressure permitted.

I only run 39 for road trips strictly for better fuel economy. Usually keep them at 33-35 psi.
That's what I came here to say.

Ford Bronco Why is ford recommending that we over inflate our tires. SAS 1 ZOOM

Bronc_Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m a bit of a fuel economist nut. I try to do long range testing (5-10 k miles). Many factors to consider when doing this. I will say running my tires at 39psi has given me my best fuel economy. I really don’t feel a huge ride difference.
Btw we are talking 1mpg.
As a topper, many will disagree…….eco mode does work…..Again we are talking 1 mpg.
For testing eco mode, have you tried just driving with a light foot in normal mode for 5-10k?

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
They do that to meet mpg requirements for epa. You really need to do the chalk test and adjust your pressures for even wear. YouTube videos out there.. 4x4 101
Best way to go especially if going from a radial to a bias ply

Sponsored

Tunagates

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

But the tire is rated for a "maximum" load at 35 PSI putting 39 PSI in it won't increase the maximum load of the tire. All that adding the extra PSI is doing is making the tire less compliant and probably worse handling.
huh??? Theyre saying for max load, only use 35 PSI. Heavier weight (max load) adds additional pressure on the tires. When you're not at max load, PSI can be added.

Why is this not making sense to people?

• Haha
Reactions: abe

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
The sidewall pressure has nothing to do with the recommended pressure for any specific vehicle. There is a lot of testing that goes into the recommend pressure. If you don't like it, you can run whatever you want. As others have said running low causes far more tire damage and safety issues than running high, within reason of course. We are talking 4lbs here.

OP
OP
Moabbob

Moabbob

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Didnt notice the over inflated allowed on the sidewall. I was reading it while airing up in Moab after off roading. May have been a bit of mud on the sidewall I will look at it when clean. thanks for the info.

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The sidewall pressure has nothing to do with the recommended pressure for any specific vehicle. There is a lot of testing that goes into the recommend pressure. If you don't like it, you can run whatever you want. As others have said running low causes far more tire damage and safety issues than running high, within reason of course. We are talking 4lbs here.
That’s not entirely true, only in LT tires which are designed with thicker side walls, also those are rated for high pressure high loads which the bronco will never need LT tires. When you’re wheeling it’s always recommended to run lower pressures to reduce punctures and increase tire displacement. 30-34 psi should be average tire pressure for larger mud and all terrain tires on the street. To much pressure and you’ll wear through a set of tires in about 20k miles. If you’re running to low in the 20’s you increase the risk of the tire falling off the bead if your race car driving it. I run 32 psi drive 80mph down the high way no problems. Over inflation also causes a harsher ride over every little bump and bucks you on holes, think of it as an over inflated basketball bouncing down the road.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's what I came here to say.

Ford Bronco Why is ford recommending that we over inflate our tires. SAS 1 ZOOM
do the tires on other bronco trims like the base or black diamond also have the markings allowing for higher allowable inflation?
Sponsored