Sponsored

Why is OBX the only model that comes with 18 inch wheels ?

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I would have liked to have kept the 18" wheels on the OBX but every tire I liked was "E" load range.
Thankfully a member was selling his 17" Badlands take-offs near me.
2022-02-05 00.35.43.jpg
Those are the exact rims I would like. Being my OBX is carbonized grey I think the grey rings would look very nice. Those tires make a world of difference to the looks 👍
Sponsored

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Factory built mallcrawler? I dunno it’s like the Tacoma limited. It’s a thing but rarely bought trim? I suspect this will be similar
If the Bronco had come in a platinum edition- I would have bought it. Call me whatever you want- I’ve got leather skin lol

Last edited:

Panaran

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CX5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Lol, I love the irony of comments in this thread ripping the OBX for being a mall crawler with shitty wheels/tires by people that immediately went out and spent thousands of dollars on a lift, wheels and tires for their non-obx bronco. As if the OBX isn't the same friggin thing at that point. I bought the OBX because I liked the roast leather and wanted the Lux package, painted fenders, and I'm realistic about driving on pavement 99% of the time. If I ever decide to do more off road, I'll swap out the wheels/tires and be on that level.

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The OBX hate is just contrived faux masculinity. I had Cooper AT3's installed on factory OBX rims and it looks significantly better and rides great. I live in a northern environment and have a property I access via dirt roads year round and the OBX is perfect for my use. I don't rock crawl or drive up cliffs etc, or have an interest in doing so, but if that's your thing go with another trim level and shut up about it. It's like people can't comprehend that others value different things than them. It's like being in high school with this bandwagon crap.

760 bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The OBX hate is just contrived faux masculinity. I had Cooper AT3's installed on factory OBX rims and it looks significantly better and rides great. I live in a northern environment and have a property I access via dirt roads year round and the OBX is perfect for my use. I don't rock crawl or drive up cliffs etc, or have an interest in doing so, but if that's your thing go with another trim level and shut up about it. It's like people can't comprehend that others value different things than them. It's like being in high school with this bandwagon crap.
I wouldn’t take it that serious, it’s a running joke around here. Kind of the same way every body here hates the bronco sport but it gets a ton of love in all the reviews.
80% of broncos are going to be daily drivers and having adaptive cruise control, lane centering, etc is going to be a lot more useful than a sway bar disconnect for the majority of people.

Sponsored

mjrcu

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you don't mind me asking, how do you like those Coopers? I have a stock non-sas OBX that I love, but live in an area during the winter off dirt roads with lots of snow and slush. I actually didn't mind the stock OBX Bridgestones (don't care much about the looks of a tire) until the snow started falling. I felt like they were the worst tires I've ever had on snow, even in 4A or 4H. I was looking at putting on the Coopers as on of the options on the stock rims. Was looking at like 265/70/18, something like that. Seems like you have similar use and trim so curious to get your thoughts.

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you don't mind me asking, how do you like those Coopers? I have a stock non-sas OBX that I love, but live in an area during the winter off dirt roads with lots of snow and slush. I actually didn't mind the stock OBX Bridgestones (don't care much about the looks of a tire) until the snow started falling. I felt like they were the worst tires I've ever had on snow, even in 4A or 4H. I was looking at putting on the Coopers as on of the options on the stock rims. Was looking at like 265/70/18, something like that. Seems like you have similar use and trim so curious to get your thoughts.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/tire-help-for-obx-stock-rims.37215/post-1239071

I went with 275/70/18. I think they're great and drive fine in the snow which we've had a ton of recently. I hope this helps.

mattymik

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Odyssey, 2023 WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Murraydog11

Outer Banks
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2Dr Outer Banks, Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hate all you want. I love mine. And I think it looks bad ass...
Ford Bronco Why is OBX the only model that comes with 18 inch wheels ? 20220209_091803

Sponsored

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The hard truth is that if Ford believed that only true of roaders were the market for the Bronco, they never would have built it.

If you bought a Bronco to go off road you can thank the so called mall crawlers for getting that Bronco to market.

It's the same for GT350/500's, Raptors, etc... Without the buyer that wants just the look, status, etc these vehicles would never make it to production.

mattymik

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Odyssey, 2023 WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The hard truth is that if Ford believed that only true of roaders were the market for the Bronco, they never would have built it.

If you bought a Bronco to go off road you can thank the so called mall crawlers for getting that Bronco to market.

It's the same for GT350/500's, Raptors, etc... Without the buyer that wants just the look, status, etc these vehicles would never make it to production.
Yea the purity test thing is ridiculous. People let things like a truck get way too entangled with their sense of identity.

M4Madness

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Heck, I have a Bronco base model ordered, and I bought a set of OBX take-off wheels and tires to go from 30" to 32". It was either the OBX's 32.25" tires on 18" wheels or the Badland's 32.75" tires on 17" wheels, so I went with the 18's to get a lighter weight tire.

My FX4 came from the factory with 18" wheels, and it now has 35's on a wider set of 18's. All that unsprung weight gives me a slower take-off and a lot more brake pad wear, that's for sure. I didn't want a repeat performance on the Bronco, hence choosing 18's over 17's. I definitely didn't want 32's on 16's. Lol!

I do like the look of tall sidewalls. I won't deny that. I don't plan to wheel my Bronco, as I have a dependable Jeep XJ to thrash offroad if it comes down to it (32's on 15's). My Bronco will see mostly highway driving, with snow as a worst case scenario.
Sponsored