Sponsored

Why is OBX the only model that comes with 18 inch wheels ?

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
can anyone tell me why OBX is the only model that comes with 18 inch wheels and is this a good or a bad thing.
It's the only sedan in the lineup. More on-road vs off-road oriented, so taller tires not necessary.
Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
...and the 4.27 and the 4wd. Which once were 795 combined but changed to 795 each during a B&P update. That additional 795 (on top of wheels and tires) is what made me change from an ā€œOBX on 33sā€ to OBX sas. I flirted with the Badlands in between but disliked the stark interior and that MGV has manual seats....amongst other things....to me the OBX Roast Sasquatch is the holy grail (trailing behind the FE black interior - but comes with delays and obviously youā€™re locked out if you didnā€™t order an FE from the get go). But of course Iā€™m partial.
I didn't realize the electronic 4WD went from $800 to,double. I had already moved on, but that would have probably done it anyway, as the price between my two builds would have been even closer.

It's funny how each person can have different priorities but still end up in the same place. I'm getting a 2-door, so power seats were already unavailable to me :(, but that also meant that the leather upgrade wasn't such a good deal. But we don't want cloth, so would need leather for OB but not BL.

cecrc881

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Outer Banks, Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It takes courage around here to know what you need and a stick with it. Everyone's going to tell you what they think you need. Stick to your guns.
Thatā€™s the beauty of the Bronco, it allows everyone to pick a model with available options to customize their vehicle to meet the needs, desires, and budget. For me, living in Florida, my Bronco will spend most of its off-road time on the beach.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thatā€™s the beauty of the Bronco, it allows everyone to pick a model with available options to customize their vehicle to meet the needs, desires, and budget. For me, living in Florida, my Bronco will spend most of its off-road time on the beach.
Well, there are folks here that would tell you to squatch it anyway! And to get BL!

Murf

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'94 F150. '15 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Base
18s give it a street look...they donā€™t look great on an off road vehicle. Theyā€™re not awful, just 16s and 17s with a lot of sidewall look a heck of a lot better and they perform better off road too with more sidewall.

Nobody who drives off road intentionally buys 18s or bigger, and they scream that out. Ford knows that and is catering OBX to the crowd who doesnā€™t know any better and is used to thinking bigger rims are better on street SUVs and cars.
Or.... We do know there is a compromise and we made our decision based on that knowledge. Maybe that is why Ford offered an 18" wheel. Bottom line, unless you're doing hard core rock crawling or running flat out Baja's, a good tire on an 18" wheel should take us just about anywhere we want, or need to go.

Sponsored

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
One thing many are forgetting is that each of these top 3 trims (OBX, BD, Wldtrck) are meant for different purposes. The BD is set up for rock crawling, the Wldtrck is set up for desert running, and the OBX is set up for the family with the beach house or mountain cabin near the ski slopes where they need a vehicle to deal with snow covered roads to go skiing/snowboarding or sandy beaches, such as what exists in Calif, Texas, Florida, & other states. I canā€™t speak for why an 18in wheel/tire combo was used, but the 70 series provides a substantial sidewall for a more comfortable ride with the ability to air down to expand the footprint if needed. Different tools for different tasks is what these trims are all about.

OP
OP
bruce 1

bruce 1

Outer Banks
First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ford transit
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Because itā€™s a Bronco in a dress (non Sasquatch). Wrangler Sahara is the competing model with this. Wheels are just part of the look.
to those people that knock the OBX and call it a bronco in a dress or a subaru you get the sasquatch package because its aggressive looking but the only rock crawling you will actually. be doing is parking in your neighbors unpaved driveway

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
OBX should be renamed to something it can handle, the New Yorker trim per example. The trim stock would struggle and likely get stuck driving the Northern OBX even aired down.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
to those people that knock the OBX and call it a bronco in a dress or a subaru you get the sasquatch package because its aggressive looking but the only rock crawling you will actually. be doing is parking in your neighbors unpaved driveway
A whole lot of compensation going on with the perceived masculinity of their ride and tire size. I'm pretty secure with both, so bring on my "off-roading in style".

Sponsored

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

BREAKING NEWS:
Some people actually buy Sasquatch for aesthetics, and will never shift out of 2-wheel-drive. It's okay. It's allowed.

brocotect

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Your Bronco Model
Base
I haven't read every post in this thread but most seem not very helpful.

It's a general rule of thumb for off roading you want a tire that is double your wheel size for airing down with less risk of losing the bead or damaging the wheel.

This could be a chicken and egg issue as 35s are the popular tire size and have the most options limiting the wheel size to 17 for serious off-road applications.

18s on the other hand have become extremely popular for factory car and SUVs and offer more options for comfort and performance on road where a lower profile tire is desirable.

The irony of this is taller profile tires are actually a bit more comfortable but people have come to expect sportier looking setups so some level of comfort is sacrificed for looks.

The obx I'm sure is a perfectly capable truck but it's not intended be used the same way a badlands is. And that's okay. That's why they have options.

The obx is a more road oriented bronco so it comes with a more road oriented wheel and tire setup.

Hope this is helpful.

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

No doubt. Meanwhile, I'll be all over Telluride, Ouray, Durango, Blanca, the Flat Tops, Westcliffe, Lake City, and Moab in my mallcrawlin' OBX.

Sometimes it's less about the tires and more about who's behind the wheel.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
šŸ˜‚ If it makes you feel better, call it a Bronco in a tuxedo. Thereā€™s no denying that itā€™s the most dressed up Bronco package available. Thatā€™s not an insult. Thatā€™s what makes the package unique.

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The engineers at Ford almost got the tire/wheel package right on the Outer Banks.
What I learned in 40 years of beach driving, wider rims and tires (extra tire height helps also) with plenty of sidewall for a better contact patch when airing down (smaller diameter rims) with a non-aggressive tread pattern (street).
So ford got the tread pattern correct just not the wheel/tire size.
My first beach permit that I had on my 1980 Chevy LUV truck.
Ford Bronco Why is OBX the only model that comes with 18 inch wheels ? 2021-03-15 22.13.27
Sponsored