Sponsored

Why is OBX the only model that comes with 18 inch wheels ?

Tdifonzo

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lots of OBX hate but my 2door, 2.7L, Lux, rear locker, 4A, 4.27 gear ratio, leather OBX for $47.5k (invoice - $1000) might be the best value. But yea definitely changing the tires. 😂 There are a couple option for C load range 32.6” ATs that will make it the same diameter as the Badlands tires.
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My own mechanic said it gets better mileage. That makes no sense. Maybe he s kidding.
If you take two wheels that are the same size overall, but one has a smaller wheel and larger tire (aka more sidewall) that tire requires more energy to spin.

Simply put, the actual rim/wheel is easier to spin than the mass of the tire. So less tire + more rim = better mpg.

Dennydizzla

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Although i wish it did have 17's, I get why it doesn't. I tend to see this as more of a beach lifestyle car and I'm guessing Ford does as well. I saw a stat a few years ago stating that 75% of SOBX real estate was owned by people that actually live in Raleigh, NC. So people in the area tend to have one car that they drive 2 hours (on open highway) to the beach every weekend. That means lots of people in the area want a car that can handle handle Eastern NC lifestyle... (hunting, boating, fishing, sand, dogs, kids, etc.) but still cruise four hours a week at 90 MPH to and from the destination. Rock crawling is virtually non-existent east of the mountains. I think Ford hit that demographic pretty well although I'd still like to see washout floors in the OBX.

However, in this demographic, they aren't really competing with Jeep so much as they are creating a new market for people who otherwise drive Land Rovers. Land Cruisers and F-150 King Ranches and wouldn't ever consider buying a dedicated off-roader. F-150 pretty much dominates the market in SOBX until summer rolls around. With very little rock oriented terrain, dedicated off-roaders like Jeep Wranglers with big tires just aren't that common unless you are near the military bases.
Agreed. Went with OBX as an East Coast Massachusetts guy. Beach offroading with the dogs and fam. Capable in our brutal winters. Solid highway vehicle driving all over New England going skiing up in the mountains. Style with off-roading but don’t need rock crawling or top of the line offroading. Wish it had wash out floors. Will report back on the tires and everything else

Panaran

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CX5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
18s give it a street look...they don’t look great on an off road vehicle. They’re not awful, just 16s and 17s with a lot of sidewall look a heck of a lot better and they perform better off road too with more sidewall.

Nobody who drives off road intentionally buys 18s or bigger, and they scream that out. Ford knows that and is catering OBX to the crowd who doesn’t know any better and is used to thinking bigger rims are better on street SUVs and cars.
It's almost as if Ford knows there are a lot of people that are realistic about their vehicle and wanted to offer a product that suits their needs. This will be my daily driver and be on pavement 95% of the time, and an 18 with a smaller sidewall and more narrow width will perform much better for my use, which is mostly highway, than the 35 inch pillows on the squatch. It has nothing to do with wheel ignorance, it's an offering that makes more sense for people that DD on pavement.

Sponsored

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

interestingly, for all the hate the outer banks gets on this forum, it's the second most popular trim level on here when i looked at the stats with 14% of members who reported ordering that level after the badlands which was at 40%
Yeah I don’t know what the deal is with that…its ok to order all other trims in Lux but if you order a Outer Banks that comes with color matched mirrors, door handles, flares, step board, standard mid package with more interior options it’s a mall crawler🤷🏼‍♂️ No difference than ordering a F150 Lariat, but everyone loves a Lariat because of the trim packages.

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Look at Off-Road 285/70 tires in 17" vs 18", the answer will tell you which is better, more popular and the right choice, if you plan to do more than drive to the mall or Starbucks.

285/70R17
(hint: 98 choices)
https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/285-70R17.htm

285/70R18
(hint: 5 choices)
https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/285-70R18.htm
275/70/18 vs 285/70/18 would be a proper comparison and there are probably a hundred 275/70/18’s. 285 is not the most common size.

1. Is the 285/70/17 and 2. Is the 275/70/18. Other than a 3% difference in height the 18 is about an exact match

61CDE36B-2A6B-43AC-9FB1-827F05E0ACCF.jpeg

51D93AAA-308A-449A-9A42-EF55063260BF.jpeg

Last edited:

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

275/70/18 vs 285/70/18 would be a proper comparison and there are probably a hundred 275/70/18’s. 285 is not the most common size.

1. Is the 285/70/17 and 2. Is the 275/70/18. Other than a 3% difference in height the 18 is about an exact match
Thanks, interesting and surprising that the sidewall height is the same, the key factor I use for ride comfort and better off-road compliance. I also see this makes the 18" tire 1" taller overall, which has the effect of a 1/2" lift.

On my SUV's I still changed both from the factory 18" wheels/tires to 17" wheels/tires for better on-road comfort when a lift was not an option.

BC overlanding

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
interestingly, for all the hate the outer banks gets on this forum, it's the second most popular trim level on here when i looked at the stats with 14% of members who reported ordering that level after the badlands which was at 40%
That is because 90% of all Broncos regardless the model will never go off road. The Badlands will be no different then the Rubicon in this aspect, most buy for the aggressive looks not its capabilities, all the while pouring piss on the less capable models. :unsure:

ocbucks1

Outer Banks
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyta
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That is because 90% of all Broncos regardless the model will never go off road. The Badlands will be no different then the Rubicon in this aspect, most buy for the aggressive looks not its capabilities, all the while pouring piss on the less capable models. :unsure:
Agree. But using 4WD is different. I ski and mountain bike. Go to the mountain and to trail areas. It’s useful to have 4WD even though I’m not a big off roader. OBX w/ Lux is my build. Its arrogant to suggest broncos are only if you off road like the stupid “dress”comment. It’s a great all around vehicle.

Sponsored

BC overlanding

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Agree. But using 4WD is different. I ski and mountain bike. Go to the mountain and to trail areas. It’s useful to have 4WD even though I’m not a big off roader. OBX w/ Lux is my build. Its arrogant to suggest broncos are only if you off road like the stupid “dress”comment. It’s a great all around vehicle.
Yes and besides who cares if someone spends THIER money on a totally pimped out mall crawler its their money.

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks, interesting and surprising that the sidewall height is the same, the key factor I use for ride comfort and better off-road compliance. I also see this makes the 18" tire 1" taller overall, which has the effect of a 1/2" lift.

On my SUV's I still changed both from the factory 18" wheels/tires to 17" wheels/tires for better on-road comfort when a lift was not an option.
Yep. It’s not always what it appears. Pricing on 275/70/18’s is good because of the popularity/volume. Other than being a inch larger due to the rim diameter, they are exactly the same. You can often save money searching for different rim/tire options and get similar performance. In this case there is no difference that would impede the performance of a 18 vs a 17

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
A lot of insecurity exists with people. Buy what you like and enjoy it the way YOU want.

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

I would have liked to have kept the 18" wheels on the OBX but every tire I liked was "E" load range.
Thankfully a member was selling his 17" Badlands take-offs near me.
Ford Bronco Why is OBX the only model that comes with 18 inch wheels ? 2022-02-05 00.35.43

SweetAndPetite

Raptor
First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor, 2015 Convertible Beetle
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I actually had to move from the Badlands to the Outer Bank because I really had my heart set on the leather/vinyl, mocha/onyx seats and interior. I also liked the rims on the OB Sasquatch Package as it looks a little more retro to me. But, all in all, I would have went with the Wildtrak if it weren’t for the graphics on the hood - I found out it could be removed, but why buy a 60k truck to potentially mess up the brand new paint it could ruin by doing so. And now I wait for my OB - just put the order in a few days ago, called Ford to see if it went in OK, and was told that they are making the most recent orders priority to get them out in a more appropriate and normal timeframe. Is this true? Who knows, but I’m in it for the long haul, so it’s all good. 😃
Sponsored