Sponsored

Why is OBX the only model that comes with 18 inch wheels ?

bruce 1

Outer Banks
First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ford transit
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

can anyone tell me why OBX is the only model that comes with 18 inch wheels and is this a good or a bad thing.
Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
can anyone tell me why OBX is the only model that comes with 18 inch wheels and is this a good or a bad thing.
Because it’s a Bronco in a dress (non Sasquatch). Wrangler Sahara is the competing model with this. Wheels are just part of the look.

DETT

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Because it’s a Bronco in a dress (non Sasquatch). Wrangler Sahara is the competing model with this. Wheels are just part of the look.
And the wheels are fugly to boot

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Factory built mallcrawler? I dunno it’s like the Tacoma limited. It’s a thing but rarely bought trim? I suspect this will be similar

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What he said.

...also it’s incredibly annoying for the aftermarket world because the entire tire industry has E Load rated tires if you want 33 and up on an 18” rim. Why? Because they are mostly pick up trucks that have 18” rims and there’s a demand for heavier loads. Most off roader rigs have 17” rims and the tire options are endless in that size.

Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My own mechanic said it gets better mileage. That makes no sense. Maybe he s kidding.

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

👆Right. I got the Sahara for the bigger wheels and didn't need the off-road gadgetry (and price) of the Rubicon. I bought my Jeep mainly for the styling, not the off-roading. Now with the Bronco, it seems you need to decide which seats you want, and go with that model (hope that changes in successive years). Unless wheel/tire setup is a main concern for you. Seems more folks are hung up on seats than wheels/tires on the Bronc. Sasquatch it and forget it.

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

👆Right. I got the Sahara for the bigger wheels and didn't need the off-road gadgetry (and price) of the Rubicon. I bought my Jeep mainly for the styling, not the off-roading. Now with the Bronco, it seems you need to decide which seats you want, and go with that model (hope that changes in successive years). Unless wheel/tire setup is a main concern for you. Seems more folks are hung up on seats than wheels/tires on the Bronc. Sasquatch it and forget it.
That is so weird, but correct. There are only three-ish questions. First one is do you need the sway disconnect? The second qestion is what level you want Mid, High, Lux.....quickly followed by which interior is your favorite? Add Sas, done.

CobraKaiSG

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TTS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What he said.

...also it’s incredibly annoying for the aftermarket world because the entire tire industry has E Load rated tires if you want 33 and up on an 18” rim. Why? Because they are mostly pick up trucks that have 18” rims and there’s a demand for heavier loads. Most off roader rigs have 17” rims and the tire options are endless in that size.
this has been incredibly frustrating when looking for tire options- i think i found one model that would work that wasn't heavy duty

Sponsored

CobraKaiSG

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TTS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
interestingly, for all the hate the outer banks gets on this forum, it's the second most popular trim level on here when i looked at the stats with 14% of members who reported ordering that level after the badlands which was at 40%

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought it was the “city slicker” version, with the painted flares and all. Granted, I haven’t actually looked at the details for it.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

interestingly, for all the hate the outer banks gets on this forum, it's the second most popular trim level on here when i looked at the stats with 14% of members who reported ordering that level after the badlands which was at 40%
That's cuz most of those customers have admitted to themselves they will be more onroad than off .... offroading will not involve extreme rock crawling or high speed desert runs ... but the capability will be there cuz bottom line all the Bronco trims are decent offroaders

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
18s give it a street look...they don’t look great on an off road vehicle. They’re not awful, just 16s and 17s with a lot of sidewall look a heck of a lot better and they perform better off road too with more sidewall.

Nobody who drives off road intentionally buys 18s or bigger, and they scream that out. Ford knows that and is catering OBX to the crowd who doesn’t know any better and is used to thinking bigger rims are better on street SUVs and cars.
Sponsored