Sponsored

Why is the 2.7 tuned down HP wise in the Bronco compared to other Ford/Lincoln models?

pony2bronco

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Is it an MPG thing or do you lose torque by going up or something?
Sponsored

KH_59

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Interesting. Bronco is 310hp@5500 / 400lb-ft@3000, compared to.......

Ford Bronco Why is the 2.7 tuned down HP wise in the Bronco compared to other Ford/Lincoln models? F4E1ADF5-E0F8-4682-843B-5F2A97EFC3E0

Last edited:

combatninja

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ND Miata, Land Rover Defender 110, Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Marketing. They have a long term strategy of Broncos running the gamut from $29,995 poverty spec that can be advertised at $299/mo leases all the way up to some Ford Performance Super Warthog with ridiculous power, suspension and tires. Oh, and ridiculous price to go with it. There will be a Bronco for every budget. Therefore, they have to carefully parse out power numbers to go with each one of those rungs on the ladder. There will doubtless be at least two steps between the Joe Average 2.7 and whatever the top of the range is. Probably a hybridized 2.7 and perhaps the 3.5 EcoBoost. What the powertrains are is TBD at this point, probably largely dependent on the buying public's rate of acceptance of electrification in the pickup/off-road segment. But the strategy is locked in: they want Broncos at every price level from $30K all the way up to probably getting near six figures.

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
The only 2.7L engine the Bronco is tuned down to is the +2018 F150.

But that's just peak HP and torque #s.
Without comparing the entire power curve, you really can't tell.

Remember, having top HP in a car is great.
Gutless torque in a truck, makes it useless.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Could be any and all of the programming of the cam timing, different cams, more restrictive exhaust/different exhaust manifold (speeds up flow which increases scavenging and torque before increasing back-pressure steals it back up top, not likely as the turbo is probably the biggest restriction.) My guess would be advancing the cams slightly in comparison to the others listed to favor torque over horsepower. It is a combination of cam timing, exhaust sizing, and intake runner design. Easiest to nudge the cams differently than changing intakes & exhaust manifolds and the exhaust might be tight under there, odd restrictive bends and the like.

Sponsored

bokirby

Big Bend
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 435i Xdrive
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Because they’re going to up the horsepower in years two and three. Very similar to how the Supra rolled out, hopefully this has better luck, with that philosophy

rtsherry73

Outer Banks
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Because they’re going to up the horsepower in years two and three. Very similar to how the Supra rolled out, hopefully this has better luck, with that philosophy
Agree totally. It's a product life cycle extender tactic. Start at 310 hp...down the road 2 model years...KAPOWY! The new 2024 Bronco! Now 325 hp! (Rebate now $3,000, 0% financing, etc etc)

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think I read somewhere that the packaging changed the intake layout a bit and it affected the top HP number? It seems like they lowball the numbers on the 2.7 anyway. The 3.0 and 3.0 Hybrid will be the big HP power plants in 2022 and after from what I am seeing.

sootie007

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC , Scion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think they always roll out new model vehicles with a slightly detuned powertrain so as to get a good reputation going for the powertrain reliability and to keep adding 5-10 hp during the subsequent yrs to lure people to buy the "improved" model year to year. I remember back around 2000 when the Tundras first came out Toyota rolled the 4.7 out with only 245 HP and 315 TQ .....Toyota had 500 hp plus normally aspirated versions of the 4.7 in its racing programs - so they could have easily released it with more hp and tq on tap. IMO.

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The only 2.7L engine the Bronco is tuned down to is the +2018 F150.

But that's just peak HP and torque #s.
Without comparing the entire power curve, you really can't tell.

Remember, having top HP in a car is great.
Gutless torque in a truck, makes it useless.
HP - how fast you hit the wall,
LB-FT - how far you push that wall

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think I read somewhere that the packaging changed the intake layout a bit and it affected the top HP number? It seems like they lowball the numbers on the 2.7 anyway. The 3.0 and 3.0 Hybrid will be the big HP power plants in 2022 and after from what I am seeing.
3.0 and hybrid???

PartyMarty

Black Diamond
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Black Bear, 2009 VW Rabbit
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just remember these engine power specs are based on running premium fuel. The engine will run on regular just fine (without towing), but you won’t be able to unlock the full performance unless you pony up the extra 60c/gallon. I remember seeing an article about testing a 2.7 f150 with regular vs premium and the truck was half a second faster to 60 and had another 1.5 lbs of turbo boost with premium. Fuel economy should also improve 5% (but premium gas is waaay more than 5% more expensive than regular).

On another note, does anybody know if it’s be better for the life of the engine to run mostly non-top tier premium (Sam’s club) or top-tier regular (Exxon/shell etc.)?
Sponsored