Sponsored

Why is the BB so much more than the Base?

OP
OP

Rahkmalla

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 K900
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Because it has leather steering wheel! Another question is why is it around $200 MORE than the Black Diamond once you add the locker, mod bumper and rubber mats to bring it "close" to the same specs?
locker forces automatic. That being said, I jsut tried it and i'm seeing $1000 more, not 200, but once again if you throw the auto on the BD it makes the BD 700 more expensive. I think the washout interior and full bash plates are worth a hell of a lot more than $700.

Someone above said you're paying the BB markup on all models higher than base. I don't believe that to be true. I do think the values are off on BD (8k markup over for maybe 5k worth of equipment), but nothing throws me off as much as the BB pricing. Like you saiid, as soon as you get a little into a BB, you could have just had the significantly better BD for almost even money.
Sponsored

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

... I liked the BB wheels, and grille best, access to colors (exterior and interior), available locker and my preferred gear ratio, the tint and leather bits are nice too. ...
Yep, that's why I ordered a BB. I wanted the color outside that the Base didn't offer, the Sandstone interior and (at the time advertised as better seats, the better carpeting), the bigger 17" wheels (how much does a set of custom 17" wheels and tires to fit them cost you?), and importantly the rear locking differential with the 7 speed manual. The leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, LED fog lamps, and tinted privacy glass are better for me in the hot southwest too.

I got a 4-door, it came in at $38,000. Just what I need, nothing more.

Last edited:

uncledoodoo

Everglades
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 XJ, 56 F100, 11 Volvo XC90, Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

locker forces automatic. That being said, I jsut tried it and i'm seeing $1000 more, not 200, but once again if you throw the auto on the BD it makes the BD 700 more expensive. I think the washout interior and full bash plates are worth a hell of a lot more than $700.

Someone above said you're paying the BB markup on all models higher than base. I don't believe that to be true. I do think the values are off on BD (8k markup over for maybe 5k worth of equipment), but nothing throws me off as much as the BB pricing. Like you saiid, as soon as you get a little into a BB, you could have just had the significantly better BD for almost even money.
I think I added the switches, and a set of rock sliders from the accessories list. But yeah the point is that the BB is a rip-off in my opinion unless you just have to have that grille-whistle. And as a Texan, that's a shame since I LOVE Big Bend National Park and plan to take my Bronco there asap

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So another way to look at it is, on the Base you cannot get:

1. Locking rear diff
  2. Mud/Ruts G.O.A.T Mode
  3. Sandstone interior
  4. 17" alloy wheels
  5. 17" AT tires
  6. LED fog lamps
  7. Leather wrapped wheel and shifter knob
  8. Certain exterior colors
  9. Extra Grab Handle

In order of importance (to me). Did I leave anything out?

Last edited:

uncledoodoo

Everglades
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 XJ, 56 F100, 11 Volvo XC90, Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

1. Locking rear diff
  2. Sandstone interior
  3. 17" alloy wheels
  4. 17" AT tires
  5. LED fog lamps
  6. Extra Grab Handle
  7. One more G.O.A.T Mode
  8. Leather wrapped Wheel and Knob
  9. Certain exterior colors

Did I leave anything out?
Yeah. You left out the fact that you can get the good part of that list (and better) it's called Sasquatch. But if not then why not pay around the same $ for the Black Diamond?

Sponsored

peta8368

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Polaris Slingshot
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am not seeing the same prices you guys are.... a 4 door BB with rear locker and aux switch (to bring it to as close spec as a black diamond, other than MGV, steel bumper, bash plate, and rock rails), and the price is about $2600 in BB's favor (38k for BB vs 40.6k for BD). On a 2 door with similar config, the price difference is slightly closer, at $2000 in BB's favor. I am not 100% satisfied with the armors on a BD, so I am happy saving the $2600 for my 4 door, to go after market. It might cost a bit more aftermarket, but at least it'd be something I am more happy with.

Where are you guys seeing $200 higher on BB?

Also, rear locker does NOT force automatic. If you select the "Rear locking Differential" option with no price listed, that lets you have manual with rear locker (for $495). The $795 rear locker option is for Automatics, so it'll force add automatic if you choose that one.

EDIT: I see one of you added the front steel bumper and front steel bash plate and floor mats, but that's only about $1000, still doesn't get the BB more costly than the BD. BTW, the BB front steel bumper + bash plate is only the front plate, where BD gets full bash plate set

Last edited:
OP
OP

Rahkmalla

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 K900
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

1. Locking rear diff
  2. Sandstone interior
  3. 17" alloy wheels
  4. 17" AT tires
  5. LED fog lamps
  6. Extra Grab Handle
  7. One more G.O.A.T Mode
  8. Leather wrapped Wheel and Knob
  9. Certain exterior colors

Did I leave anything out?
towing and mid, and base you can't get a stick with 4 doors.

as a hopefuly base mansquatch, i'm not worried about base not having a stand alone locking rear or the wheels and tires. as a definite manual no matter what, I can't get a locking rear on a BB anyway (it's an auto only option) . With the mod bumper I want you don't get fogs on any trim. Grab handle I'm sure I can buy aftermarket for a pittance. GOATs dont concern me. Leather wrapped wheel I'm sure I can talk to Katzkin about when I'm doing my seats.

Wanna really bake your noodle about the price difference? compare a basesquatch modular vs a bendsquatch modular. Same suspension, engine, transmission, lockers, wheels, tires, hero buttons, interior upholstery quality, bumper and lack of foglights. What does the BB get different? one grab handle, leather steering wheel, and one extra GOAT. Base $38,205 BB $43,090. It's the SAME EXACT CAR for almost 5 grand more!

Heart2

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I understand your point. My initial reservation/order was for a BL because I like the factory 33s and standard wheels, not because I am an off-roader. However, after spending hours and hours on Ford's website, I decided that the BB with the Mid package would be a better choice for my needs and budget. However, I really want the rear locker and signature lighting; the BB is the first trim with those choices. I am not one to swap parts and install after-market items as I want my Bronco to be stock and ready to be enjoyed without any further expense. The BB wheels are somewhat underwhelming, but they do match the grille and roof and I'm OK with the 32s. The Base is more like the original Gen 1 Bronco and that's a good thing. I think that the BB trim retains a lot of that Gen 1 vibe, too.

Dvanderm

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler Aspen
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Diddo here.
I am going after market rims and tires anyway. Didn't like any of the rims offered.
I seriously thought about the BB because of the 2-tone seats.
Than I saw an actual picture of a Base interior with the dark and light Gray and I liked it better.
I do want the capable bumper though. I'm a 2-door MIC 2.7 so I have some time to change my order. If I can't get the bumper I might still change to a BB.
Tow is $150.000 from Curt with hitch and wiring.
I don't like the OEM RB's.
I would like the tinted rear glass but I'm not paying $5000.00 for it.
$2500.00 gets me Tow, Rims, Tires and RB's. All my choice.
What size tires and rims are you looking at to add to the Base, and can you get credit for the stock ones or sell them for a decent price? I have been also considering the wheel/tire gap between Base and BB as well, and have been leaning towards the BB just because the 32" inch tires look so much better than the Base's 30". And the BB wheels can accommodate 33" tires.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

All this hoo-ha about the Sasquatch package is a red herring. If I WANTED a set of giant "mud bog" looking tires and a jacked up monster truck...I'd get one. But I'm not, so I'm getting all the options I need, for cheaper.

Trim/option packages are as old as the Fairlane, and I mean the 1950s one. You have to look carefully at what you want. Some people will squeak in for a lot less than others do, because they don't want some features. Been that way for generations buying a new car in America. 20 years ago I bought an F-150 ordered from the factory. I got the XL trim....it's all I needed.

Sponsored

FATHORSE

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I had to get them Signature LED Head and Tail lamps. It is ridiculous and it is ridiculously priced, as in any vehicle. That option is listed for 2 to 5 grand over the base on most vehicles. Aftermarket is even worse.

Yes ford is the Disney package.

Dvanderm

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler Aspen
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

1. Locking rear diff
  2. Mud/Ruts G.O.A.T Mode
  3. Sandstone interior
  4. 17" alloy wheels
  5. 17" AT tires
  6. LED fog lamps
  7. Leather wrapped wheel and shifter knob
  8. Certain exterior colors
  9. Extra Grab Handle

In order of importance (to me). Did I leave anything out?
Base also does not offer Cactus Grey...not sure why Ford has to play games to that extent. Wouldn't be a big deal except this is for my wife and that is the color she likes.

OP
OP

Rahkmalla

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 K900
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Base also does not offer Cactus Grey...not sure why Ford has to play games to that extent. Wouldn't be a big deal except this is for my wife and that is the color she likes.
The only color my wife cares about is green, and we're not talking the Eruption variety. If i told her I wanted to spend an extra 5k on this car to get 5k value worth of options to make it perfect, she'd back me 100%. If i told her I wanted to spend 5k more for a leather steering wheel and a different paint color she'd tell me to wake up cause I must be dreaming.

Jsullivan

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Explorer, 2016 F350 Diesel, 2013 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
What size tires and rims are you looking at to add to the Base, and can you get credit for the stock ones or sell them for a decent price? I have been also considering the wheel/tire gap between Base and BB as well, and have been leaning towards the BB just because the 32" inch tires look so much better than the Base's 30". And the BB wheels can accommodate 33" tires.
I've got Ultra Mongoose 17" x 9" rims +25 offset, Cooper AT3 XLT 285/70R17 tires 32.8"
106.1 x 93.1 hub centric adapters.
I am also pretty sure I can use the Base Steel Center Hub covers.
If push comes to shove I can drill them to match the Ultra hub cover mount bolt pattern.

peta8368

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Polaris Slingshot
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

as a definite manual no matter what, I can't get a locking rear on a BB anyway (it's an auto only option)
red circled is the rear locking diff for manual, $495 (price not shown, B&P bug). Blue circled is the rear locking diff for auto, $795 + $1595 upgrade cost for the auto.

Ford Bronco Why is the BB so much more than the Base? 1631216408681

So you don't necessarily have to go BD or higher or sasquatch for locking rear. I hope this opens up more options for you.

But yes, the price difference between base and BB is unreasonable to me as well.... it's most likely to artificially lower the cost of the entry level to be able to claim "starts under xxx"

if I do end up getting pushed to MY22, then maybe I'll go base sasquatch with Cyber Orange. At least there will be some fun colors on base starting MY22.
Sponsored