Sponsored

Why is the new Bronco Raptor so heavy and fat??

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Couldn't resist....

And why is it so capable, composed and fast on all types of off and on road terrain?

More lighter is always better, but these things need to be strong.
Sponsored

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm with the Op on this. Weight even with high HP takes away the fun to drive and handling factor. I had a 2010 Camaro SS with 6.2 V8. Heavy as heck. Fast in a straight line yes, that is all. Sluggish everywhere else and gas guzzler. I had a 2016 latest Gen Camaro with a V6 manual- lot lighter, way more fun to drive and decent on gas. My daily driver is a 2021 Miata track car with Bilstein suspension and Brembo brakes. "Only" 181 HP. The car flies, I leave almost everyone in the dust without even trying. So fun to drive- and I get nearly 40 MPG. I have had Mustang GT's, Subaru WRX's, Camaro SS's and if I drive them like the Miata to get the same acceleration I would get 11 MPG. Another example is my Base Bronco Sasquatch 2 door. When I reserved it almost 3 years ago, I wanted the lightest or close to the lightest weight one with the biggest engine. But I wanted Sas. Fortunately it has the proper gearing. I find it pretty quick and very fun to drive and it handles well on and off road. it doesn't work that hard either loafing along using all that torque and I average nearly 24 MPG. And my wife's 2013 Silverado regular cab short bed 2wd with 4.8 V8- weighs only 4700 LBS. Few mods on the engine, dual exhaust - it's a sleeper- and sounds so good with the V8 in it. Everyone who sees and hears it wants to buy it. I would take it over a BRaptor any day. It's all about power to weight. And the lighter the better.
Just don’t take it over the Braptor any day if you want to do what the Braptor was purpose-built for-high speed open desert running. The Silverado wouldn’t fare quite so well. 😀