Sponsored

Why is the new Bronco Raptor so heavy and fat??

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I get it, Ford added 37's, beefed up the frame and suspension, threw on some larger fenders, and put in a slightly larger V6 which will all add weight. But how on earth does that add on an extra 1000lbs over a regular 4 door Bronco?? My loaded 2020 F150 Raptor Supercrew weights 5,500lbs which is 200lbs lighter than a Bronco Raptor! I get that these things aren't build for lightness in mind, but an extra 1000lbs over a regular 4 door Bronco is HEAVY! That 1000lbs will be quite noticeable in just about every aspect of driving both on and offroad. What do you guys think also added major weight onto this thing to make it so dang heavy over a regular Bronco?

As long as it has the power to handle it, a little extra weight isn't a bad thing for going fast in the desert. And, if most of the weight is in stronger parts, that's just what it's going to take to make it do what it's meant to do reliably and do it well.

I also wonder why my Bronco is 1500+ pounds heavier than my XJ. :oops:
Sponsored

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You have to remember that a base bronco doesn't come standard with armor. When you factor the weight of the skid plates, bigger tires, rock rails, steel bumpers...

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Haha
Reactions: Jdc

Mango&Moose

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion xB / Toyota Sienna. RIP my 96 Ranger Splash
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Same thing could be questioned about most of the American populace.

Sponsored

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The list is seemingly endless…
37s x 5
Rear Gate reinforcement for 37 spare
F150 axles, brakes and suspension
Frame strengthening
B bar and C reinforcement’
Additional Skid protection
Additional cooling
All 4 quarter panels are larger, but not sure if they’re heavier or not
Probably heavier hood
Hood hinge pistons
Flares and liners
Additional cooling
Probably seats are heavier
Paddle shifters migh be lighter
I believe floor mats are standard on all Raptors which could be contributing more weight vs. “standard” bronco
It appears modular bumper ends are longer
Raptor lighting in bumper
Additional engine components and ducting
“True” Dual exhaust is likely heavier
Tail lights ‘ proximity sensor appear larger
Air dam bits in front of front wheels
Probably numerous reinforcements and heavier hardware
Probably more….

Not surprising it’s added 1000 pounds. Not super excited about extra weight, but what you get in return (except straight line speed and low MPG) seems totally worth it.

That said my old Lotus Elise weighed a third of Bronco Raptor. I do appreciate lightness!
Don't forget about that extra quart of oil that the Raptor takes!!

Sunday Money

First Edition
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I get it, Ford added 37's, beefed up the frame and suspension, threw on some larger fenders, and put in a slightly larger V6 which will all add weight. But how on earth does that add on an extra 1000lbs over a regular 4 door Bronco?? My loaded 2020 F150 Raptor Supercrew weights 5,500lbs which is 200lbs lighter than a Bronco Raptor! I get that these things aren't build for lightness in mind, but an extra 1000lbs over a regular 4 door Bronco is HEAVY! That 1000lbs will be quite noticeable in just about every aspect of driving both on and offroad. What do you guys think also added major weight onto this thing to make it so dang heavy over a regular Bronco?
Well Ford and the dealerships finally did it, and it's not looking good. Ford raised the MSRP on Bronco Raptors over $20k in just two years, and stealerships got unbelievably greedy with ADM. Throw in high interest rates on top of that, and people finally wised up and stopped buying (or just flat out can't afford them anymore). Now there are over 1,400 brand new, not including used, Bronco Raptors listed on auto trader sitting on dealer lots. And those are just 2023 models! Now the 2024 models are starting to hit the lots.

Some dealers are asking $4k, $5k, $6k under MSRP for them now, and they are still not selling whatsoever and collecting dust at those prices. This has turned into a classic example of pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. Ford and most dealers are in big trouble, and this is just for Bronco Raptors! Look at all the other models just sitting and not selling. I will say this is not specifically a Ford issue, all brands across the board are not selling. But specifically, if you want a Bronco Raptor, you will be able to get a DEAL in the next few week and months. I don't see a way out of this for Ford unless they revise the MSRP's like they had to do with the F150 Lightning's last week and send out new and updated MSRP's that are 4-8k cheaper than they are now. And that won't include the 5-10k off MSRP dealers are going to have to knock off the prices on top of that.

The chickens have come home to roost finally for these extremely greedy dealers and Ford. Not all the dealers have been greedy the last few years, and I do feel bad for them. Me personally, I will be waiting about 2-3 months and pull the trigger on a 2023. I suspect by that time, with the combination of lowered MSRP's by Ford and massive discounts from dealers, prices will be easily 10-15k lower than they are now. How else are they going to move 1,400 Bronco Raptors especially with the 2024 models showing up as well speak? They won't unless they give HUGE price discounts. It will be a nice addition to my F150 Raptor R and Gen 2 Raptor.

IMG_0470.png
Cool!

Last edited:

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
80s flashback.
Yo Bronco so fat

She has her own gravitational field

65CarryAll

Heritage
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The last 2 door Blazer (ZR2)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
My loaded 2020 F150 Raptor Supercrew weights 5,500lbs which is 200lbs lighter than a Bronco Raptor!
Thanks to the aluminum body.

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yes ford made the bronco too big and heavy and added to that with the raptor…it is one of the advantages Jeep has over the bronco…I bought one anyway because it still rides and handles way better then a jeep but curse the size and weight often offroad…

Sponsored

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm with the Op on this. Weight even with high HP takes away the fun to drive and handling factor. I had a 2010 Camaro SS with 6.2 V8. Heavy as heck. Fast in a straight line yes, that is all. Sluggish everywhere else and gas guzzler. I had a 2016 latest Gen Camaro with a V6 manual- lot lighter, way more fun to drive and decent on gas. My daily driver is a 2021 Miata track car with Bilstein suspension and Brembo brakes. "Only" 181 HP. The car flies, I leave almost everyone in the dust without even trying. So fun to drive- and I get nearly 40 MPG. I have had Mustang GT's, Subaru WRX's, Camaro SS's and if I drive them like the Miata to get the same acceleration I would get 11 MPG. Another example is my Base Bronco Sasquatch 2 door. When I reserved it almost 3 years ago, I wanted the lightest or close to the lightest weight one with the biggest engine. But I wanted Sas. Fortunately it has the proper gearing. I find it pretty quick and very fun to drive and it handles well on and off road. it doesn't work that hard either loafing along using all that torque and I average nearly 24 MPG. And my wife's 2013 Silverado regular cab short bed 2wd with 4.8 V8- weighs only 4700 LBS. Few mods on the engine, dual exhaust - it's a sleeper- and sounds so good with the V8 in it. Everyone who sees and hears it wants to buy it. I would take it over a BRaptor any day. It's all about power to weight. And the lighter the better.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm with the Op on this. Weight even with high HP takes away the fun to drive and handling factor. I had a 2010 Camaro SS with 6.2 V8. Heavy as heck. Fast in a straight line yes, that is all. Sluggish everywhere else and gas guzzler. I had a 2016 latest Gen Camaro with a V6 manual- lot lighter, way more fun to drive and decent on gas. My daily driver is a 2021 Miata track car with Bilstein suspension and Brembo brakes. "Only" 181 HP. The car flies, I leave almost everyone in the dust without even trying. So fun to drive- and I get nearly 40 MPG. I have had Mustang GT's, Subaru WRX's, Camaro SS's and if I drive them like the Miata to get the same acceleration I would get 11 MPG. Another example is my Base Bronco Sasquatch 2 door. When I reserved it almost 3 years ago, I wanted the lightest or close to the lightest weight one with the biggest engine. But I wanted Sas. Fortunately it has the proper gearing. I find it pretty quick and very fun to drive and it handles well on and off road. it doesn't work that hard either loafing along using all that torque and I average nearly 24 MPG. And my wife's 2013 Silverado regular cab short bed 2wd with 4.8 V8- weighs only 4700 LBS. Few mods on the engine, dual exhaust - it's a sleeper- and sounds so good with the V8 in it. Everyone who sees and hears it wants to buy it. I would take it over a BRaptor any day. It's all about power to weight. And the lighter the better.
Very interesting - I traded my '07 JKUX with 4" lift and 37s in for a 1SS 6spd in 2011 to save on gas. I lived getting in the 20s on the highway! And many times, I sustained over 30mpgs on US 301 in the long 55mph zones by doing the speed limit. Same with my '13 mustang GT, and my '98 T/A.

Funny, I have the same list of vehicles, and had a '17 Miata RF for awhile. On long 55mph backroads I'd get over 50mpgs in that!

raptorusmaximus

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

For being tall and heavy the extra width and bracing allows it to handle VERY well. The steering is also very precise.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Very interesting - I traded my '07 JKUX with 4" lift and 37s in for a 1SS 6spd in 2011 to save on gas. I lived getting in the 20s on the highway! And many times, I sustained over 30mpgs on US 301 in the long 55mph zones by doing the speed limit. Same with my '13 mustang GT, and my '98 T/A.

Funny, I have the same list of vehicles, and had a '17 Miata RF for awhile. On long 55mph backroads I'd get over 50mpgs in that!
Interesting. Among my cars I had a 2011 WRX hatch, 5 speed. Gas guzzler with the 2.5 engine got 16.0 going steady 65. Anything faster and it dropped badly. One of the worst cars I ever had. I then got a 2016 WRX with the new 2.0 engine. I averaged 32 MPG and on one trip going a steady 70 I got a real 40 MPG. Anyway some great choices of vehicles you have had! And I see you have a Badsquatch too!

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting. Among my cars I had a 2011 WRX hatch, 5 speed. Gas guzzler with the 2.5 engine got 16.0 going steady 65. Anything faster and it dropped badly. One of the worst cars I ever had. I then got a 2016 WRX with the new 2.0 engine. I averaged 32 MPG and on one trip going a steady 70 I got a real 40 MPG. Anyway some great choices of vehicles you have had! And I see you have a Badsquatch too!
My STi was a '17, ticked me off that it still had the 2.5 and wasn't making that much more power than the 2.0. Don't know why they didn't take the 2.0 and give it more displacement. I got low 20 mpgs driving from Tampa to Naples and back, and I swear that putting the torque as much on the rear as possible helped MPGs, but I have no proof of that.

Depending on how old you are, if you were in FL in the late 90s I drove a '94 Camaro with a 3" lift and 30" BFGs. Was surfing on the east coast one day and someone was like "You're from Pinellas, LOL I see your car all the time!"
Sponsored