Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Toyota is just very slow to change. I had a Trail Teams FJ and still have a 2009 Lexus LX570. The FJ was solid, but the engine was underpowered, there were some design flaws... and the roof didn’t come off, a fatal flaw. The LX570 is also solid and the V8 is good...but walk into a dealer today, and the new one is the exact same, and they want $100k. Every other full size SUV on the market blows it away as far as comfort and features. That is true pretty much throughout the Toyota line. Solid good quality, but innovation is zero and product updates are way behind. Their engines in general are underpowered compared to competitors. Before Bronco though, if you wanted something besides a Jeep with a frame and solid rear axle, then it was FJ until cancelled, or 4Runner. Now we have a choice....and very few will buy a 4Runner as a toy anymore when the Bronco is here. It still will sell as a grocery getter.
Sponsored

OP
OP

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Exactly this. We just bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee for my wife. I don't think this model has changed since 2012. The dealer told me "why change it if it still sells and works well?". It was hard to disagree with that point.

The interior has gone through some updates and didn't seem out of date. My wife was thrilled with how it drove. We did look at the 4 runner and was surprised how out of date the interior seemed. I can understand they don't want to re-engineer the vehicle as a whole, but making changes to the interior seem like a simple redesign and change to the manufacturing process. Because of this, we stopped looking at Toyota.
Do you plan to get the 4-door Bronco? Also, the reliability of the current EcoBoosts are good.

FJ 432

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I reserved an FJ Cruiser and took delivery in the first week it was out. Drove it for 6 years and was my best new vehicle purchase. Bullet proof, fun to drive and loved it for all of its' quirks. Far and away the biggest gamble that Toyota has made in a long time. The design was a love it or hate it and the Toyota purists hated it for the IFS. The IFS IMHO was the best part of the design.

I'm new to this forum and I'm equally excited about the return of the Bronco. It's interesting to hear some of the negativity on why some feel that Ford fell short. My biggest concern for the new Bronco is its' reliability.

L1011

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I currently own a 4Runner and I agree with many sentiments here. It is indeed outdated. For 2021 Toyota upgraded a few items (Apple Carplay, finally! and LED lights).

The old 4.0-liter six and 5-spd auto combination is ultra reliable and was a great pairing for the last-generation 4Runners (I owned one of those, too--an '06 Sport model which I'm still kicking myself for selling). The last-gen 4Runners were approximately 800-900lbs lighter than the current 4Runners. The engine now, however, just doesn't have enough oomph. It really needs at a minimum another 50HP, but 80-100 more would be better. Also, the current 4R is a real pig on gas. Very, very rarely do I ever get 18MPG. It's typically 14-17 MPG, which isn't great.

The interior of the 4R is a bit dated, but it's ergonomics are fantastic! I rarely ever have to look at the dash to change a setting because it's just intuitive and easy to use. I don't mind the interior at all.

I also agree that the last FJ was ugly and I hated it. I, too, would LOVE IT if Toyota offered a Wrangler competitor (and now a Bronco competitor).

OP
OP

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I currently own a 4Runner and I agree with many sentiments here. It is indeed outdated. For 2021 Toyota upgraded a few items (Apple Carplay, finally! and LED lights).

The old 4.0-liter six and 5-spd auto combination is ultra reliable and was a great pairing for the last-generation 4Runners (I owned one of those, too--an '06 Sport model which I'm still kicking myself for selling). The last-gen 4Runners were approximately 800-900lbs lighter than the current 4Runners. The engine now, however, just doesn't have enough oomph. It really needs at a minimum another 50HP, but 80-100 more would be better. Also, the current 4R is a real pig on gas. Very, very rarely do I ever get 18MPG. It's typically 14-17 MPG, which isn't great.

The interior of the 4R is a bit dated, but it's ergonomics are fantastic! I rarely ever have to look at the dash to change a setting because it's just intuitive and easy to use. I don't mind the interior at all.

I also agree that the last FJ was ugly and I hated it. I, too, would LOVE IT if Toyota offered a Wrangler competitor (and now a Bronco competitor).
Do you plan to trade the 4runner for the Bronco?

Sponsored

L1011

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you plan to trade the 4runner for the Bronco?
Hard to say at this point. I really want a 2-dr Bronco and to keep the 4R as a family vehicle. But my 4R is rapidly getting up there in mileage so I'm not sure.

just972

Wildtrak
First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4runner, Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I truly love my 4Runner. This is the 2nd one I have owned and I purchased them both brand new. They are very reliable and dependable on and off road as well as deep snow and winters. If the 4runner had a removable top and doors.... I would probably not be here.

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
As of about 2015, Toyota was planning on killing the 4Runner after the 2018 model year. Even when they were designing the 5th gen, the US contingent had to pound the table to keep it from being turned into a unibody crossover.

Then in the next couple of years sales started to go up and they un-cancelled it, but presumably had no plans for how or when they were going to do a full redesign. Thus you have an ancient design that's still got a few yours left. Now Toyota is in the middle of revamping their entire global platform lineup and they have until about 2023 before the platform the 4Runner uses is no longer manufactured. So that's when they'll do a redesign or kill it altogether.

I haven't been following all the Toyota news that closely lately so this might not be 100% accurate, but I believe they are streamlining the entire global body-on-frame lineup to a single platform, so Land Cruiser (300?), Hilux, Tacoma, Tundra, 4Runner and whatever else they're still building will all share a platform, which also probably means the 4Runner would now be built in North American plants with the Tacoma and Tundra instead of Japan, which does take some of the luster off of the 4Runner for some of it's fans. Again, this may not be 100% accurate, but that is my understanding.

Treeza61

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2013 FJ
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
How come Toyota is behind when it comes to their powertrains and transmissions for their 4runner?

The platform has not been changed since 2010. On paper, the 4runner may lag behind in both power and fuel economy. Even the base 2.3 EcoBoost on the Bronco has better power outputs and potentially better gas mileage.

Thoughts?
Number in it’s class.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Had a Limited before my JL. I don't think I ever once turned around as I was walking away to check it out. Capable. Dependable. And so, so, so, sooooooo boring. It's easily 5 years past a major upgrade or discontinuation.

Nate
Same. granted, we have had ZERO issues with our 4runner in the 3.5 years we've had it. And my wife is horrible in doing scheduled maintnance...it is 17k miles OVERDUE on an oil change. You couldn't tell, it runs just as well now as it ever has. But it has always been a boring lackluster vehicle to drive. completely and utterly uninspiring.

Sponsored

Todkavonic

First Edition
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW, Ducati, Guzzi, and the Jeep.
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Same. granted, we have had ZERO issues with our 4runner in the 3.5 years we've had it. And my wife is horrible in doing scheduled maintnance...it is 17k miles OVERDUE on an oil change. You couldn't tell, it runs just as well now as it ever has. But it has always been a boring lackluster vehicle to drive. completely and utterly uninspiring.
17k! Wow. They are solid. Here’s a video of the Top Gear guys trying to destroy a Toyota Hilux

Nate

dnvrBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander, Outback, 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Antiquated drivetrain that goes on forever wrapped around a featureless body and suspension that’s surprisingly upgradable. All this with world class build quality and unbelievable resale value. The only thing Toyota screwed up was dropping the V8.

NoName57

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach1, Subaru Outback, Victory Octane
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How come Toyota is behind when it comes to their powertrains and transmissions for their 4runner?

The platform has not been changed since 2010. On paper, the 4runner may lag behind in both power and fuel economy. Even the base 2.3 EcoBoost on the Bronco has better power outputs and potentially better gas mileage.

Thoughts?
Last I read around May is that they are doing a redesign for 2022. Even though the 4runner is old in it’s design, many many people love them including me lol.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

i think one of the reasons that toyota is super reliable is because they are always late to update their vehicles to be able to compete with their competition.