Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I complained to my wife about this (including the Tacoma) and she had a good point. It may not be a fancy, high performance powertrain but it’s proven in reliability - so why change it? You know what you are getting and you know it will last you a long time.
Sponsored

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think there is no argument that Ford and GM both care more about cars that make the heart beat faster than the makers of the Corolla, Camry, Avalon, Sienna....shall I go on?

GM always had their Corvette and Ford their Mustang even though they stopped making the Camaro and the Bronco.

That Toyota has no pride or understanding of what is passion for an automobile is best illustrated by their letting BMW pee over the grave of the legendary Supra. Ask yourself, will Porsche ever do that to the 911 or GM to the Corvette? Never.
Yep, GM and Ford sure make your heart beat faster when they leave you stranded on the side of the road. No arguments there!

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yep, GM and Ford sure make your heart beat faster when they leave you stranded on the side of the road. No arguments there!
A Ferrari will leave you stranded far more often than any Ford or GM and yet it makes not only your pulse race but also of those who see it stranded on the side of the road! (y) :cool:

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Toyota's have pretty great resale too. I drove a 2015 4Runner for 6 years, 80,000 miles, and sold it for 75% the original cost. It sold on Craigslist in less than ten minutes. I think I could have sold it for more. This was two weeks ago.

I thought I would miss the 4Runner, but I bought a Galdiator Rubicon and don't miss it at all. It seems so outdated and under capable compared to the Gladiator. Or the Bronco, for that matter.

Treeza61

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2013 FJ
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
How come Toyota is behind when it comes to their powertrains and transmissions for their 4runner?

The platform has not been changed since 2010. On paper, the 4runner may lag behind in both power and fuel economy. Even the base 2.3 EcoBoost on the Bronco has better power outputs and potentially better gas mileage.

Thoughts?
Thoughts are they are number one in their class.

Sponsored

Itchysquatch

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 4runner, 2014 E class
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I currently drive a 99 4runner, and have done since 2002 (I’ve had a 3rd gen 4runner since 97, I’m mildly obsessed). I change the oil ever other year (only gets about 3k mikes a year). Only things that have broken Have basically been From my doing (lifted, boosted, locked, and driven hard) other than a frozen parking brake cable. He’ll, it even has the original alternator. The starter I rebuilt for $11 and some bloody knuckles. It’s bullet proof. Other than the odd Tacoma it’s also the last good looking vehicle Toyota made IMO. I’m going to try the bronco because I’m so frustrated with Toyota’s lack of ingenuity. Atkinson motor, come on! Manual transmission in a 4runner was last seen in 2001! The bronco has me excited to the point where I’m willing to try something other than the boring offerings from Toyota (and that’s coming from a Toyota truck freak).

Beef78

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus and 71 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If the Bronco can STEP UP ITS GAME in reliability to the level of Toyota I will be amped, but I doubt it. Nonetheless, weighing everything I am still sold and excited to get the Bronco.

Last edited:

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah I don't see the point of that list. Toyota's reputation for reliability has made then sales leaders in a lot of segments where their vehicles have tech and modernity comparable to the competition.

Even though the Taco's drivetrain is among the worst in class, it's not THAT far behind, and the interior/tech is at the very least comparable.

The 4Runner is a different story though, it's sales lag far behind the class leader by any reasonable definition, whether that be the mid sized SUVs in general or the Wrangler specifically. Same with the Tundra, it's sales are atrocious compared to the big 3. You could throw the Land Cruiser in that group too, but that may be more about pricing/market positioning than it's ancient interior and inefficient engine.

ceezarin

Black Diamond
First Name
Franco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Toyota FJ Trail Teams
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I feel for you on that. What a letdown. One thing I’ll give the FJ Cruiser. It came out during the bling era and man did it show. However, by the end of its run, there were some really nice versions driving around.

1595387837836.jpeg

1595388023292.jpeg

1595388264053.gif
AEB371B0-B319-42B3-8B52-8EDB93AB9387.jpeg

Sponsored

ceezarin

Black Diamond
First Name
Franco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Toyota FJ Trail Teams
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is my current fj that I’ll be selling for the Bronco, it’s been crazy reliable and fun. I had a 2011 army green trail teams prior to this one.

BuckinT29

First Edition
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa 4C Spyder, Ducati V2, BMW X1
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Great question- they are well overdue for an overhaul. I’m guessing after Bronco sales sky rocket they will second guess their current
/future models.

I was very tempted to pull the plug on a 4Runr TRD PRO a few years back but the interior/ electronics are ancient.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Low volume and total market opportunity. Toyota also counts on its distributors to add value, parts and packages by region, which helps them stretch the models over more years. I don’t think they sell the same model internationally anymore either, so any power train changes really only apply in North America. They sell lots of Tacoma’s based on the market, but not compared to Camrys or Crossovers.