Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My wife just took delivery of her Off Road Pro on Monday.

It's light years ahead of anything we own. Ha.

She didn't want all the fanciest tech and bells and whistles anyway. Just wanted a new, solid, reliable truck that looks. 4Runner fit the bill.

BroncoTRDPro

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner TRD Pro, Grand Cherokee, H3, DMC-12
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
i’ve read online somewhere that toyota is considering reviving the fj
The new 4Runner is due in 2023. They could use the platform to make a modern, retro FJ this time with removable roof and doors. However, where would that leave the 4Runner? I know they sold both during the last FJ's production since they shared a platform, but apparently Toyota brass back then felt there was no need for 2 mid size body on frame SUVs in their line-up. Maybe they could make the 4Runner have a removable roof like the first ones from 80s and kill two birds with one stone.

Raz4back

Badlands
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How come Toyota is behind when it comes to their powertrains and transmissions for their 4runner?

The platform has not been changed since 2010. On paper, the 4runner may lag behind in both power and fuel economy. Even the base 2.3 EcoBoost on the Bronco has better power outputs and potentially better gas mileage.

Thoughts?
They favor reliability and the drivetrain is bulletproof. I have a 2012 Tacoma with 230k on the odometer and have had zero issues outside of wheel bearings (which is a known effect of running wheels with enough offset to allow 33s). My wife has an 08 4Runner with 260k on the odometer and the only Thing that has needed repair was the alternator.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Ram Sport 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I didn't read all six pages of this thread so forgive me if there was more information, but what was "wrong" about the FJ? I liked them and mostly liked driving one we had in stock used. The FJ, to me, seems dimensionally and functionally the same as the Bronco. It was the first car I thought of when I saw it, actually, and part of why I plan to get one as I never owned a Bronco nor liked the late year models.
I think it over-promised and under-delivered. The roof looked like it should come off, but didn't. The exterior looked like the interior should be spacious, but it was cramped. I tried to look past all of that when I could have bought a new one for pretty cheap back in 2013, but the final nail in the coffin was abysmal visibility. The thing has massive pillars and wasn't very fun to drive.

What's most disappointing to me is that the FJ was a swing and a miss at something that could have been great, and it really sucked (especially at the time) to know it would be a while before you'd get a do-over. Kinda like going to see a reboot or sequel of your favorite film, hating it, and then realizing you've got to wait forever for someone to try to make it right again. That's the same feeling I get looking at the new Defender. What a waste of effort.

Sponsored

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think it over-promised and under-delivered. The roof looked like it should come off, but didn't. The exterior looked like the interior should be spacious, but it was cramped. I tried to look past all of that when I could have bought a new one for pretty cheap back in 2013, but the final nail in the coffin was abysmal visibility. The thing has massive pillars and wasn't very fun to drive.
True, it wasn't as large inside as one would think and the visibility was plain bad. It felt vaguely Humvee though that's the only vehicle that was boxy and had bad visibility so that might not be a good comparison. The top, now that you mention it, did look like it was supposed to come off or at least partially come off.

I did like that the rear cargo area was hard plastic meant for real use and there was a power inverter.

THEMANatwar

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 F150 Flareside, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I find it funny that a 50k vehicle doesn't even have auto headlights or an auto dimmer

Brokennose

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scout
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How come Toyota is behind when it comes to their powertrains and transmissions for their 4runner?

The platform has not been changed since 2010. On paper, the 4runner may lag behind in both power and fuel economy. Even the base 2.3 EcoBoost on the Bronco has better power outputs and potentially better gas mileage.

Thoughts?
Lack of competition.

I've mentioned in another thread Ford missed an opportunity. Knowing the Bronco was in the pipeline, they should have angled the Ranger to attack the Tacoma, establishing a foothold in the off road segment. Noone gives a F about how a Ranger handles on the street.

BroncoTRDPro

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner TRD Pro, Grand Cherokee, H3, DMC-12
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The new Blazer is just terrible as is the Trax. Chevrolet styling in general is about as appealing as a Lexus front end.

Sponsored

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Ram Sport 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
... (the FJ) felt vaguely Humvee though that's the only vehicle that was boxy and had bad visibility so that might not be a good comparison.
Yeah I completely agree and had the same thought the first time I sat in one. Felt like an H2 or something.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
You can say the 4 runner is behind and it maybe, but it sells well and it is for me the main other vehical I would consider getting to the bronco. I could see getting both.

KJR50

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not telling U.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Why put money in a product that sells year after year, when gas price was going through the roof. Besides, Toyota was investing a ton of cash to jump-start a little side project we all see as the Prius jamming up the left lane as a reminder. At the same time, a crapload more into electricfing their whole lineup on their way to becoming the #1 car manufacturer in the world. Winning...

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Why spend the money on R&D when people buy them anyways.
Exactly Dan. That's one of the big reasons I didn't even consider the Tacoma in picking my new mid size truck.
Sponsored