Sponsored

Why no “Bikini” tops yet? All we have is mesh “Bimini” tops.

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands 4dr || '21 Bronco Sport BigBend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would be in for a 2 door version as well. Would be nice if there was someone near you with a 2 door that could use there's for fitting.
find me a 2-door in boise, id
Sponsored

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2 video's as promised, showing 60mph speed and 25mph

Also there is some light flapping in back, that's cuz i need to swap out the back bungee to clips

Highway test:

Install video:

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
These are awesome......much better than anything I've seen!

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Be great if one of these manufacturers that has been doing this stuff forever made a plastic cover for the front that just bolted right into the existing holes to cover that gap like the hard and soft tops do, and provided a solid/straight anchor point for a top like this. Could even add a reel on the inside to make it a retractable roof...

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The current ones out there do not mount to the frame. They are suspended at the front, and set back about 4-5 inches, thus grab the wind.

See this picture below for the gap. And being canvas and not mesh, they have more resistance, thus becomes a sail. It's not good, trust me, I had one and quickly sent it back after my wife and I were on the highway and holding it for dear life as it was about to shred in the wind.

Check out the GAP in below picture

and for the Ford Canvas Bimini top (BestTop made) read the reviews here, they are horrible
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/ford-canvas-bimini-top-installed-quick-look.28379/
And it's $389 !!!!
And has a metal cross-bar...(how are you supposed to fold and store the thing?)

I'm just trying to help everyone out here as i've been there/done that...
Offering up what i had custom designed and built for $200 that works, instead of the Ford $400. :)

Also check out my ceiling hardtop hoist and rail system:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ley-150-for-manual-or-200-for-electric.51708/

Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 6.11.04 AM.png
That's crazy. I literally have a metal bar that attached to the top of the windshield that was used for the bikini top. It all screwed in together. I stupidly assumed they would all be secure like that.

Sponsored

BeachTiger

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F150, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Be great if one of these manufacturers that has been doing this stuff forever made a plastic cover for the front that just bolted right into the existing holes to cover that gap like the hard and soft tops do, and provided a solid/straight anchor point for a top like this. Could even add a reel on the inside to make it a retractable roof...
This ^^^. I've had bikini tops on EBs and a couple of Wranglers and they all fit snugly into a windshield channel and were pulled taut toward the back, where they were anchored to either the floor or around the roll bar. I'm aware -- but haven't seen up close -- that Besttop makes some sort of header for JL or maybe JK Wranglers that's a little more involved than the traditional windshield channel. But yeah, what I've been wanting to see is something like that. Connect a header using the factory hardtop mounting locations and attach the bikini to that. Would be nice if it wrapped around the 'cage' for a cleaner look (if possible. I'm still a few weeks out from taking delivery on my 2-door, so I haven't closely examined the 'cage')

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's crazy. I literally have a metal bar that attached to the top of the windshield that was used for the bikini top. It all screwed in together. I stupidly assumed they would all be secure like that.
Ha, so silly... my motto is keep it simple stupid. It it works stellar!

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This ^^^. I've had bikini tops on EBs and a couple of Wranglers and they all fit snugly into a windshield channel and were pulled taut toward the back, where they were anchored to either the floor or around the roll bar.
The first time I saw one of these mesh tops in a pic I thought it was some sort of trampoline accessory for adventurous children. I've never seen a top that wasn't secured in a channel or otherwise hard mounted on the front, for obvious reasons.

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This ^^^. I've had bikini tops on EBs and a couple of Wranglers and they all fit snugly into a windshield channel and were pulled taut toward the back, where they were anchored to either the floor or around the roll bar. I'm aware -- but haven't seen up close -- that Besttop makes some sort of header for JL or maybe JK Wranglers that's a little more involved than the traditional windshield channel. But yeah, what I've been wanting to see is something like that. Connect a header using the factory hardtop mounting locations and attach the bikini to that. Would be nice if it wrapped around the 'cage' for a cleaner look (if possible. I'm still a few weeks out from taking delivery on my 2-door, so I haven't closely examined the 'cage')
Yes...but someone hasnt done that. The bestTop (Ford OEM) is close but it's all just loose fabric with a metal bar at the midpoint for support. It just looks dumb, cannot be stored easily and again is $400, yikes !

First BaseMan

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Let's see if we can get a few more folks interested, as the shop guy who made mine, took about 5 weeks to make mine, as it was way way low priority. But in talking with him if we have a bulk order it will get done right away.

I'll also take super close up pictures and a video if i can the next day or two
PM'd
Thank you very much
Edit: Just realized this was 4 door only. Wish I was closer or I'd happily offer mine for test fitting, but if ends up offering a 2 door version please let me know.

Sponsored

First BaseMan

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yeah, that is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Is this just a numbers issue at the moment? Designing stuff for the wrangler is higher priority because there are a lot more of them out there? I get the business case for focusing on wranglers and designing something (relatively) simple for the Bronco as a placeholder, but I am just wondering if there is something specific about the Bronco that makes something like this difficult/impossible:
Ford Bronco Why no “Bikini” tops yet?  All we have is mesh “Bimini” tops. 1665592116315

Or is this just a matter of waiting for there being enough Broncos on the road for aftermarket companies to tackle something like that?

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, that is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Is this just a numbers issue at the moment? Designing stuff for the wrangler is higher priority because there are a lot more of them out there? I get the business case for focusing on wranglers and designing something (relatively) simple for the Bronco as a placeholder, but I am just wondering if there is something specific about the Bronco that makes something like this difficult/impossible:
Ford Bronco Why no “Bikini” tops yet?  All we have is mesh “Bimini” tops. 1665592116315

Or is this just a matter of waiting for there being enough Broncos on the road for aftermarket companies to tackle something like that?
i think the mounting system at front is different than on bronco.
On jeeps you have a gap between top edge and windsheild where you can pull a bikini top all the way forward, bronco's do not have that. See picture, where I drew the arrow, you can slide a strap to go around the front roll

See :29 second mark in this video to see it. Here is video at the :29sec mark

Ford Bronco Why no “Bikini” tops yet?  All we have is mesh “Bimini” tops. 1665598051143

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First BaseMan

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

i think the mounting system at front is different than on bronco.
On jeeps you have a gap between top edge and windsheild where you can pull a bikini top all the way forward, bronco's do not have that. See picture, where I drew the arrow, you can slide a strap to go around the front roll

See :29 second mark in this video to see it. Here is video at the :29sec mark

Ford Bronco Why no “Bikini” tops yet?  All we have is mesh “Bimini” tops. 1665598051143
Intersting, thank you.
So are you thinking it's impossible, or is it a deal where it's not a simple port over from the wrangler so R&Ding a new solution just isn't a huge priority until demand/Bronco volume makes it a priority?

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Intersting, thank you.
So are you thinking it's impossible, or is it a deal where it's not a simple port over from the wrangler so R&Ding a new solution just isn't a huge priority until demand/Bronco volume makes it a priority?

I'm sure it's possible but someone will have to manufacture some sort of front bracket to make it work. And i'm sure that will make the price ~ $500

If you dont have a Bronco yet, here is a picture of mine. Not much to work with up here...

And things are at different heights, like that part in the middle, above the mirror is at the roofline, where the side parts are dropped about an 1" or more below.

Ford Bronco Why no “Bikini” tops yet?  All we have is mesh “Bimini” tops. IMG_5266.JPG

Ford Bronco Why no “Bikini” tops yet?  All we have is mesh “Bimini” tops. IMG_5265.JPG
Sponsored