Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Does anyone know definitively why Ford can release a 4 door soft top but not a factory 2 door soft top? It really feels like punishment to see all these 4 doors getting delivered because they settled for a soft top while us 2 door diehards don’t have that option.

A8351B73-1816-48FF-923A-0D77107897A7.jpeg
Sponsored

SouthEnd

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 SuperCrew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don't think the soft tops look good on the bronco either way. I am just hoping that a lot of the folks swapping to softs will expedite our wait on the 2 door trucks.

RHW

Badlands
First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

There may be some valid reasons (not passing safety regulations is NOT one of them...), but personally I just don't think that Ford initially saw the business case to design and engineer a factory soft top for the 2-door. Obviously, that decision would have been made LONG before the situation we found ourselves in.

BE5OME1

Base
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 SXT 4x4, 1967 Mustang, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't understand why they didn't offer sending without a top as a solution. I only intend to run a bimini on mine.

Sponsored

atx_chance

Badlands
First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 1993 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interested in the real reason for this…

MyBroncoNotYours

Badlands
First Name
Good Try FBI
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't understand why they didn't offer sending without a top as a solution. I only intend to run a bimini on mine.
I’d take mine without a top as well and would prefer the soft top because I expect the top to be down all the time.

Personally I believe they did it to increase profit margins/justify pricing. Sounds crazy but wait for it.

The difference in price between the soft top 4dr and hard top 2dr is $2,500 (or $4,700 on the base). My thought is that $2,500 is such a small difference that they had to give people a hard top on the 2dr to justify what you lose out on in space and make sure people still ordered it at all. Otherwise they would have to keep it at a $4,700 price difference across the board and made them all soft tops. But to do that they would either have to lower the price of the 2dr (cutting into profits) or raise the price of the 4dr (pricing out some of the market and not being as competitive with Jeep).

All personal opinion but that’s the only justification I can think of. Plus the possibility that they didn’t expect a lot of 2dr volume so one way to reduce complexity/variability and stream line that production was to standardize the top.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

OEM 2 door soft top has already been engineered, designed, and ready to go. Long ago. I don’t think they have sold enough 2 doors (that mystery regulation/legal issue) to make it available for 2022 yet, will likely be a job 2 add.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

(that mystery regulation/legal issue)
My take on that was ... it was a VIN thing, or someother Gov't model labeling issue.
I agree the safety issue is a non-issue , look at Jeep 2drs for proof.

It is "officially" labeled and sold as a hard top, therefore they cannot sell it as a soft top to cure the MIC issues.

Again, just conjecture, but that was my interpretation of a well written, seemingly knowledgeable comment ... long ago.

Blitzjb

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The NTSB would never allow it.
Sponsored