First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
...someone has asked the question recently. Why on earth are there so many mesh Bimini tops and zero true bikini tops (the ford one isnt a true bikini top to me). Like another poster, when I had my old CJ, I basically has the bikini top or open all the time. If it rained, no problem, the bikini top kept the majority of the interior dry with just a few exceptions. It boggles my mind that something hasn't been made yet. There have been numerous teases from some of the big guys, but then they ghost us. Is it a material issue, because I can't believe it is a design issue. Please tell me I am wrong.
Sponsored

RYD003

Outer Banks
First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY23 Bronco OB
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
what is the difference from a bimini top to a bikini top?

Sponsored

JTopsUSA

Badlands
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.broncosunshades.com
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 diesel,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bernoulli's principle
This is Mike from jTops here is what we find with solid vinyl or canvas tops.

Unfortunately itā€™s tougher to do than you may think. Sure we could just substitute vinyl for the mesh but the performance is horrible. We know we tried multiple configurations.

The issue is the Bernoulli effect. Thatā€™s what happens when the wind rushes over the surface and creates a low pressure area. When that happens the top bubbles up and flaps radically. Because itā€™s not mesh it canā€™t release the energy of the upward force, It may be fine at 40 to 50 mph but above that speed the flapping starts. Using mesh allows it to breath and stay stable.

We saw a post of someone on the forum making one but the speed test never goes over 60. Itā€™s also flapping pretty bad at 60 and the bungees are stretching out.

To do it right would require a metal cage of some sort to mount the canvas to. Well that starts to sound like a soft top. So for now JTops has no plans because it would not meet our performance criteria. That could change but itā€™s not in the cards yet.

These are just our findings. We have had this debate for the 10 years we have been making tops.

Mike

The Compensator

Outer Banks
First Name
Cleigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 bronco, 2015 yukon denali xl, minivan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Unfortunately itā€™s tougher to do than you may think. Sure we could just substitute vinyl for the mesh but the performance is horrible. We know we tried multiple configurations.

The issue is the Bernoulli effect. Thatā€™s what happens when the wind rushes over the surface and creates a low pressure area. When that happens the top bubbles up and flaps radically. Because itā€™s not mesh it canā€™t release the energy of the upward force, It may be fine at 40 to 50 mph but above that speed the flapping starts. Using mesh allows it to breath and stay stable.

We saw a post of someone on the forum making one but the speed test never goes over 60. Itā€™s also flapping pretty bad at 60 and the bungees are stretching out.

To do it right would require a metal cage of some sort to mount the canvas to. Well that starts to sound like a soft top. So for now JTops has no plans because it would not meet our performance criteria. That could change but itā€™s not in the cards yet.

These are just our findings. We have had this debate for the 10 years we have been making tops.

Mike
Here's the link to the video the jtops (mesh bimini top company) is referring to:

From what I could see in the video he was going 68, not 60. He also said in the video that the top wasn't even fully installed...

On the website, there's a newer, more full coverage version with different bungies being made now.

I think jtops makes a super nice mesh top as well from what I've heard and researched, I just don't get their hate for this canvas one.

It's pretty obvious from the video that the canvas top serves it's purpose well, relatively quietly, and with mild flapping at highway speed. Is it as tight as the jtops one? Absolutely not, but I don't need it to be.

I'm just looking for a backup top that's relatively waterproof and provides shade for when me and the family get caught out in the elements.

JTopsUSA

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.broncosunshades.com
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 diesel,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here's the link to the video the jtops (mesh bimini top company) is referring to:

From what I could see in the video he was going 68, not 60. He also said in the video that the top wasn't even fully installed...

On the website, there's a newer, more full coverage version with different bungies being made now.

I think jtops makes a super nice mesh top as well from what I've heard and researched, I just don't get their hate for this canvas one.

It's pretty obvious from the video that the canvas top serves it's purpose well, relatively quietly, and with mild flapping at highway speed. Is it as tight as the jtops one? Absolutely not, but I don't need it to be.

I'm just looking for a backup top that's relatively waterproof and provides shade for when me and the family get caught out in the elements.
Then this is a great solution for you. We also know that our products may not meet everyones needs or specific requirements.
I commend the efforts to create this solid vinyl solution. Everyone told me 10 years ago we would never succeed.
My adviceā€¦Never give up, keep trying, there is obviously a market for this!
Mike/owner/JTops

The Compensator

Outer Banks
First Name
Cleigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Then this is a great solution for you. We also know that our products may not meet everyones needs or specific requirements.
I commend the efforts to create this solid vinyl solution. Everyone told me 10 years ago we would never succeed.
My adviceā€¦Never give up, keep trying, there is obviously a market for this!
Mike/owner/JTops
I think I want both. Canvas for the kids so they have shade when needed, or if I get surprised by rain. And the jtop for when I want no top, but not full sun.

Best of both worlds!

Sponsored

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Factory soft top with the rear windows pulled out. šŸ’šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

When it's closed, it's virtually waterproof if you roll the windows up.

Then you can open it halfway, or open it all the way for complete open-air. And with the addition of a mesh Bimini top, it'll keep the direct sun off of you.

If you have a 2-door, you can get the same effect with a BestTop, keeping the rear windows out as well. You just can't fold it all the way down like the factory 4-door topā€¦

The Compensator

Outer Banks
First Name
Cleigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Then you can open it halfway, or open it all the way for complete open-air. And with the addition of a mesh Bimini top, it'll keep the direct sun off of you.

If you have a 2-door, you can get the same effect with a BestTop, keeping the rear windows out as well. You just can't fold it all the way down like the factory 4-door topā€¦
That would work, but I have a hard top.

I may spring for a soft top at some point but planning on waiting to see what other aftermarket options drop in the future.

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Badlands 2D SAS, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mike
Yeah, so the JKU Bikini was pretty bad about this, they (Bestop) seemed to fix it with a different attachment on the JLU. With all of that said, the Bronco doesn't have the center roll bar, so......nothing to connect to to break up the bubble.

I'm still hopeful something will work.......I don't need it for over 60 mph, I need it to keep me dry and most of my driving is under 50 MPH.

JTopsUSA

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.broncosunshades.com
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 diesel,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

See thatā€™s a great solution and the reason behind a soft top. A lot of users switch from hard top in the winter to soft tops in the summer. Perfect solution!
Mike

SVTGoat

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Maybe next time but this time.....

Ford Bronco Why no true bikini top options so far? not-in-the-cards-tron-legacy
Sponsored