First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Really? Because the F-150 manages to make all of them fit with the same transmissions and transfer cases if I remember correctly. The 5.0, 3.5, and 2.7 are all able to easily fit in the F150. This thing is 8+ inches wider, you can fit whatever you want under the damn hood.

The Coyote has a great power-band for Baja type racing, and although it doesn't fit the bill for an optimal slow speed power-band, honestly, rock crawlers don't need a ton of power. The 3.5 makes more sense than the 3.0, but Ford isn't going to dethrone the F-150 Raptor.
The engine bay and hood are the same size, it's only the axles and fenders that are wider.
Sponsored

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

According to Ford (via Muscle Cars & Trucks), this is the primary reason why the Bronco Raptor isn't powered by a V8:

“The truck has to go through the same assembly line (as Ranger and base Bronco) and we want to follow the same processes… the 2.7L is part of the ‘Nano’ family and the 3.0L is the upgrade to it,” Ford Performance Vehicle Engineering Manager Derek Bier told MC&T.​
“The 3.5L EcoBoost is a different technology, a different power pack. (3.0L) was the most capable of the Nano, also with upgrades unique to the Bronco Raptor, allowing us to follow that same bill of process, that same platform, that same control strategy, and just be efficient.”​
Does the 5.0L go through a much different process than the 3.5 and 2.7? Curious

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Dude...what? Nothing about what fits in an F150 has anything to do with what may or may not fit in a Bronco. They are completely different platforms in completely different classes. The Bronco isn't much, if at all, wider between the fenders than the Ranger it's based on. Just because it has big honkin flares and a wide stance that does not correlate to space in the engine bay 🙄🙄🙄. It's nowhere near as wide there as an F150. That "it's 8" wider" quote you've thrown out a few times doesn't support your argument the way you think it does. It's not wider where it matters.

Bro, do you even tape measure? ;)

So I walked out to my Bronco and my F-150 with a tape. Measure, both engines are 60 degree V6's with only small bore and cylinder differences. Turbo to Turbo, both are under 30" wide. As a matter of fact, from farthest points cylinder head to cylinder head, the 3.5 ecoboost is reported to be only 22" wide and 28.5" turbo to turbo. The F-150's hood is barely 4" wider, but under the hood, the Bronco appears to have more room between the suspension and ancillary components.

Did you actually go out and measure, or did you just make this up in your head? And, yes, the 3.5 ecoboost has been swapped into a Ranger.

MrOzMan

Wildtrak
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Soooo, this was a simple bottom line type of thing. Not a let the market demand lead us kind of thing.
You mean they build cars to make a profit? Well I’ll be darned!

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hennessey is using it. Raptor is using it. I think both teams know a little more about it’s tolerances than keyboard warriors online. This is a non-issue that keeps being dredged up by the same few members.
Keep that crook Hennessy's name behind your teeth!

Sponsored

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
wow, 400HP and 600torque! what's he gonna get out of the bronco raptor 3L? 450+ HP? and a warranty!
I wouldn't trust Hennessy to honor any warranty

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford Bronco Why no V8 for Bronco Raptor - reason from Ford 14EB6999-7AE3-4412-80C7-3375BBE870EF

Bronco 2.7 vs
F150 5.0 V8 vs
Vs Estimated Bronco 3.0

Last edited:

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base

Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Recap full list of reasons why no 5.0 in the Bronco.
1 wont fit easily. It might JUST fit but not with out re working everything under the hood. (Look how much jeep had to do for the 392) now they could have engineered it from the beginning to fit but that would cost a lot more money. Tens of millions likely.

2 they already have an engine that bolts right in. No reason to spend tens of millions on RND to make a square peg fit in a round hole when you have a perfectly good round peg. 3.0 is exactly the same as the 2.7. Just longer bore and bigger stroke.

3 EPA. Ford had to lower the HP of the 5.0 last year because of newer CAFE EPA standards. First time ford had to do that since 1971. Sure they could have just kept the power up and paid a tax like Stelantis BUT, why eat into your profit margin. And the standards arnt going down any time soon. They will probably get harder in the next year or 2 again. (At which point we might say good buy to the N/A 5.0 Mustang and F150)

4 Image. Since 2014 or so Ford has been replacing every N/A motor in its lineup with an ecoboost motor. They were one of the first auto makers to do that. And now everyone is. They arnt going turn back on that now.

those are the BIGGEST reasons i can think of

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can see your position on it and it is logical. I would like to see a v8 Raptor version priced competitively with the 392, but I can live without a V8 as well. We were all shocked that the Wrangler got a V8 after many people including Jeep engineers said it wasn't ever going to happen. The 2.7 and the 3.0 are sufficient for me especially with a tune down the road. The BRaptor's suspension though is fire!!! Having a V8 sound to that would be badass... The 392 Wrangler is just not the right fit for a vehicle that doesn't soak up the terrain as the Bronco does...
At this point it should be obvious that Jeep always had the 392 in their pocket and didn't offer it to their customers, not because they didn't deserve it, but because they were the only game in town, AEV was already serving that niche at a much higher profit margin, and I'd suspect were even giving the entity now known as Stellantis kickbacks to NOT produce a factory V8 as they have in the distant past under AMC... It was a cynical play they had pre-loaded just in case Ford or anyone dare challenge their market dominance... Pretty lame, but it worked, they'll sell every limited edition, and you best believe there is a cap to how many they produce.

Last edited:

Jsullivan

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Explorer, 2016 F350 Diesel, 2013 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
No 5.0 but my son visited the Shelby facility in Las Vegas and they were just completing a 4 door Wildtrak with a 5.2 and Super Charger putting out 985 hp. It had a 10 speed auto. He didn’t know which tranny.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
No 5.0 but my son visited the Shelby facility in Las Vegas and they were just completing a 4 door Wildtrak with a 5.2 and Super Charger putting out 985 hp. It had a 10 speed auto. He didn’t know which tranny.
Probably the 10R140 from the super duty.
but i would LOVE to see that. Wonder what show they are going to show that off at