Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why do I seem to see either 17 inch wheels or 20 inch wheels? It seems like for those of us who won’t be doing a lot of rock crawling but will be doing a lot of gravel roads and unimproved roads and pavement to get to the forest roads 18s makes a lot more sense.

The last time I had a truck 15 and 16’s were a hot ticket since then I’ve been driving rally style cars like modified WRXs so I’m a little out of touch.
Sponsored

JT1

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why do I seem to see either 17 inch wheels or 20 inch wheels? It seems like for those of us who won’t be doing a lot of rock crawling but will be doing a lot of gravel roads and unimproved roads and pavement to get to the forest roads 18s makes a lot more sense.

The last time I had a truck 15 and 16’s were a hot ticket since then I’ve been driving rally style cars like modified WRXs so I’m a little out of touch.
17s offer more sidewall for a fixed tire height and are available in more sizes (and for less money)
20s are because the full size truck likes them, and when there are 3.5-4million of them sold a year, tire manufacturers take notice.

18s ONLY advantage is if you want tall and narrow, there is a 285/75 r18 size available.. 35x11.50

OP
OP
ATLBronco75

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting. I was actually looking at 34x12.5x18 because it seems like a nice size to squeeze under a stock Badlands and give it a filled out look without lifting.

Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
One look at the OBX was reason enough for me to not want 18s. ?

parropski

Big Bend
First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Interesting. I was actually looking at 34x12.5x18 because it seems like a nice size to squeeze under a stock Badlands and give it a filled out look without lifting.
Not a wheel/tire expert. How wide can you go with those 18s wheels? Stock tire is 10 width.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

The spread is beacuse for street cars/SUVs, big wheels look and perform well....for an off road SUV like a Jeep/Bronco, smaller diameter rims look and perform better with more sidewall on the tire. 18s or God forbid 20s on a Jeep or now Bronco really look out of place and scream gangsta/mall crawler. So bottom line is most people prefer 17s on this type of vehicle.

Sponsored

acetdeucy

Badlands
First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Corsair Lexus RX350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like 18's. The proportion is better, when you add taller tires. On a 17", the tire keeps getting taller, and becomes more unstable on the road, unless you air it up toward the max (soft mushy ride vs a hard ride).

I will change to an 18 X 9", with a -12 or -18 offset (about 1/2" to 3/4"). My preferred tire is a Nitto Ridge Grappler, available in 37 X 18, with three width options: 11.5", 12.5", and 13.5". The small offset is pretty typical to push the tires just a bit wider (outside), and to give just a bit more clearance to the fender well.

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't worry the aftermarket will be there.

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
There is a whole bunch of 34-35" tires in the 18" rim size.

If I bought an OBX, I'd keep the stock rims, and ditch the street rubber for one of these.

Ford Bronco Why not 18s Screenshot_20201027-124246_Firefox
Sponsored