Sponsored

Why not more choices with the manual transmission?

KH_59

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
If the real reason is that Ford originally deemed the 7MT too weak to stand up to the torque of the 2.7 or the strain of the Sasquatch option..... will the proposed late-availability Mansquatch option be achieved by beefing up the transmission?

If so, and presuming that Ford wouldn't want to source two different versions of the 7MT..... we might be better off waiting until the improved-spec 7MT comes on line as a running change, even if not opting for Squatch.
Sponsored

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If the real reason is that Ford originally deemed the 7MT too weak to stand up to the torque of the 2.7 or the strain of the Sasquatch option..... will the proposed late-availability Mansquatch option be achieved by beefing up the transmission?

If so, and presuming that Ford wouldn't want to source two different versions of the 7MT..... we might be better off waiting until the improved-spec 7MT comes on line as a running change, even if not opting for Squatch.
Since I’m waiting on Mansquatch, I would certainly welcome a beefed up or “scaled” 7Mt with a higher torque rating. Would make me less concerned about modding the 2.3 for an extra 100 HP and Torque or more.

ideally they would beef it up and offer with the 2.7 though.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have been trying to jump up in packages as I'm sure Ford would like, but buying an upper trim in a 2 door, and not getting Mid is a waste of money ... IN MY OPINION .....
Not to mention, for a lot of people primary reason for Mid is heated seats, which would cost $8000 using Fords packaging. (unless that has been corrected with the latest changes).
Base to Big Bend ....$5000
Mid ....................................$1500
required auto trans..$1600 = $8100
$8100...for heated seats or a little bit of technology.... and an auto I don't want.
No thanks, I'll do the seats myself for $300.

So, Ford has put me back in the Base on their own accord, which is where they really don't want us. :rolleyes:
It's their world, I'm just living in it.

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The dual clutch transmissions would lead to same situation. My buddies are Road racers, the Porsche transmissions are amazing. They all have paddle shifters, none of the guys use them. The car shifts much better on its own than they can, and they have been forced to acknowledge it.

Aside from the cars shifting better than they can, they also say the fun factor of paddle shifting, is not the same as traditional gear shifts, so in the end, they no longer cared anyway.

I have driven paddle shifted mustang's (yes, it is not the same as dual clutch transmissions, I know that), but it isn't the same, so I didn't bother with it.

Build and price isn't the same as converted orders. Lets see how many buy.

derpydestiny

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3 GT HB (MT)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've driven V8 Challengers and Chargers with autos when I used to travel a lot for work and managed to rent them for my trips (mind you they were not SRTs or Hellcats, just your plain ol' V8 models). Oh yeah, the V8 was great but there was literally 5mn of fun driving off the rental car lot and then boredom. Absolutely no fun for me after that. It's kind of sad. Looking back, it served no point and I'd rather have had a chill comfortable vehicle than a "muscle car" that didn't have a manual.

DCT won't do anything to make the Bronco anymore fun than a manual, IMO.

I had more fun with a stick VW Golf in the Swiss Alps than the more "fun" vehicles. Come to think of it, I also had more fun with a stick shift Dacia Duster in Iceland (granted the Duster had AWD and studded tires with made it interesting in the handling department). The rest of the world is spoiled when it comes to row-yourself transmissions and they don't know it.

Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Confirmed, the C8 is an 8 speed dual clutch - if Ford did a Badlands with 2.7 and dual clutch which also enabled trail control and trail turn assist, that would get my attention. 10 speed slush box that takes away my control for $1595 - no.
I suspect almost 100% of people who are familiar with Fords track record with dual clutch transmissions would agree that it would get their attention as well. Not in a particularly good way though...

In addition, the characteristics of a dual clutch do not lend themselves to fine control at low speeds. It would be an extremely poor choice for the Bronco in my opinion. The higher initial costs, maintenance costs (and frequency), and the sad fact that when you do have a problem, the solution is often an entirely new transmission as they do not lend themselves to be cheaply rebuilt.

TNBronc4344

Badlands
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You may be right about the demand for manuals were higher than expected but I’m not sure I agree that the demand for manuals decreased because mid package is only available on the BL. I think the same people either moved up to the BL or settled on not having the packages. Not having a manual option on the 2.7 is a different story. There I’m sure people went with the auto for the bigger engine.

I agree with the OP and don’t understand why the mid package would not be available for the BD or BB when it’s available with the auto.
I kinda of agree with you. I know for me once it was announced it would have a MT as an option that transmission was the ONLY option I would be taking. I agree I’m not happy with the decision to limit the packages that MT can have. I initially wanted the BD Mid Manual. So like you stated once they took that away I went up to BL and now doing high package MT. Like many I would love the larger engine but having a Ranger now with the 2.3 I know for what I’ll be doing in the Bronco it’s all the engine I need. And ho knows, in three years I may jump up to a Warthog ?
Sponsored