Sponsored

Why not more choices with the manual transmission?

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

@mike_at_ford - there is a demand for a manual 2.7L.
Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pissed me off as well, I wanted a Black Diamond, but hey, I got a Rubicon fighter now.

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just not enough of a market for them. Even on this forum I bet the actual manual wanters are a small minority.

You cant cater to 1/-5% of any market. Probably fortunate you can get them at all, and 10 years from now, you may not.

Motor sports in general are declining in popularity. So fewer people think of their car as more than transportation. Metropolitan areas are too dangerous to drive fast, less places to go off road within a short drive, culture has changed, and more and more people look at cars in general as means to an end, not the freedom and fun the older generation thought of them. Automatics then become the choice for a vehicle that is truly just a way to get from her to there. The advent of computer assisted driving, in all sorts of areas, has proven to be more efficient and more capable.

Everyone will come out and decry that now, but it is the truth, whether people want to accept it or not. I wouldn't spend 20K more to get a loaded Manual, you will have a tougher time selling it than you would auto. There will be people who want it, but that number is shrinking quickly, as manual drivers age out, and even manual enthusiasts move to auto's where they find it more capable.

Never said manuals aren't more fun sometimes, but their future is limited.

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To the OP's question, there is no good reason other than to push people to higher trimmed models. I'm actually surprised Ford caved on the manual Sasquatch as that surely pulled folks away from other trims namely the flag carrying Badlands.

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Pissed me off as well, I wanted a Black Diamond, but hey, I got a Rubicon fighter now.
I have a BD reserved. It will be with the 2.3/MT. Ideally, it would have the heated seats, intelligent access, blind spot monitoring and adaptive cruise control. I've played with the Badlands. I just can't see shelling out the extra money for additional off-road equipment I've never needed on my Xterra. I also like the wheels and grill on the BD a lot more. I actually prefer the 32" tires as I get off road about once per year but I drive in crappy winters all the time. The narrower tires are better on the road in the winter and are of a size that it is easy to find good winter tires for.

If Ford offered mid with MT on the BD they'd get an extra $1495. (High and lux give me too much stuff I don't want or need to get adaptive cruise.) Instead, a local upholstery shop is going to get a few hundred dollars to install heated seats or maybe I'll do it myself and save a bit of money.

No MT with the 2.7 wasn't too big of a blow as I was on the fence between the two engines.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Just not enough of a market for them. Even on this forum I bet the actual manual wanters are a small minority.

You cant cater to 1/-5% of any market. Probably fortunate you can get them at all, and 10 years from now, you may not.

Motor sports in general are declining in popularity. So fewer people think of their car as more than transportation. Metropolitan areas are too dangerous to drive fast, less places to go off road within a short drive, culture has changed, and more and more people look at cars in general as means to an end, not the freedom and fun the older generation thought of them. Automatics then become the choice for a vehicle that is truly just a way to get from her to there. The advent of computer assisted driving, in all sorts of areas, has proven to be more efficient and more capable.

Everyone will come out and decry that now, but it is the truth, whether people want to accept it or not. I wouldn't spend 20K more to get a loaded Manual, you will have a tougher time selling it than you would auto. There will be people who want it, but that number is shrinking quickly, as manual drivers age out, and even manual enthusiasts move to auto's where they find it more capable.

Never said manuals aren't more fun sometimes, but their future is limited.
Ford said they are seeing 10% of the B&P configurations with 7MT. When you take into account people on this thread, who (until they started charging for the 10A/T) were configuring 2.3 7MT or 2.7 10A/T and considering compromising and getting the 2.7 because of the relative value with a free 10A/T, that percentage may actually be higher.

Yes don’t offer manuals on non-enthusiast cars, because no one who drives them cares to even drive. They would prefer all the nannies and large screens.

They will go away anyway with the demise of the internal combustion engine.

I absolutely would be ordering a 2.7 7MT Badlands if were offered.

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ford said they are seeing 10% of the B&P configurations with 7MT. When you take into account people on this thread, who (until they started charging for the 10A/T) were configuring 2.3 7MT or 2.7 10A/T and considering compromising and getting the 2.7 because of the relative value with a free 10A/T, that percentage may actually be higher.

Yes don’t offer manuals on non-enthusiast cars, because no one who drives them cares to even drive. They would prefer all the nannies and large screens.

Yep, but when people want the 2.7 instead of the 2.3 they would not show up in the numbers. I bet you if the 2.3 is 10% I would conservatively say the B&P would most likely be 20% or higher and that dwarfs the typical request of a manual transmissions across all cars.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So....., in the initial year back they're only seeing 10% with a pre-built enthusiastic crowd that's been chomping at the bit for the Bronco to come back...

You'll knock out that pent up demand in the first model year or so and then the take rate will plummet. It's likely not enough to justify the additional costs of bringing a manual to the V6. Be lucky to keep it with the 4 cylinder for more than a few years.

mac62989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tacoma Sport Access Cab, 2001 Trans AM WS6
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The biggest travesty here is no Mid package in anything below the Badlands. To me it includes basic shit that should be available on a vehicle $35k+. My Tacoma with a sticker under $40k last year came with a lot of the basics standard that are included in the mid package. I have the money to move up to Badlands but I don't know if I really want to go that route just for heated seats, dual climate control, lighted vanity mirrors, and an auto dimming mirror. To me that is standard shit in 2020 and beyond..

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

So....., in the initial year back they're only seeing 10% with a pre-built enthusiastic crowd that's been chomping at the bit for the Bronco to come back...

You'll knock out that pent up demand in the first model year or so and then the take rate will plummet. It's likely not enough to justify the additional costs of bringing a manual to the V6. Be lucky to keep it with the 4 cylinder for more than a few years.
I agree it will tail off, and then maybe Ford will offer the 2.7 to get us back through again.

Frankly I am surprised Jeep is offering the manual with the Gladiator at all.

Some of us dinosaurs are still driving.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I’m guessing the new Corvette is a dual clutch with paddle shifters, which is different than a 10AT.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I’m guessing the new Corvette is a dual clutch with paddle shifters, which is different than a 10AT.
Confirmed, the C8 is an 8 speed dual clutch - if Ford did a Badlands with 2.7 and dual clutch which also enabled trail control and trail turn assist, that would get my attention. 10 speed slush box that takes away my control for $1595 - no.
Sponsored