Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

came across this video today and it touches on all the points why I decided a RTT will never be my thing, way too expensive, way too cumbersome, exposed high to the wind and ties your rig down in the spot, so no exploring.

YMMV, would love to hear from those that have a RTT and love it, my guess it's people that go all day, stop and camp, then wrap up and go on for a week? Even then I'd not want one, except maybe on a small trailer that I can leave as base camp and explore or drive to that perfect sunrise/sunset spot that's too steep or rocky to set up camp.

Thoughtful analysis from somebody that's doing a lot of camping and has used his tent quite a bit, hope you find it interesting and maybe it'll answer some questions you might have. They look all safari cool, but to me they seem a big PITA.

ETA: just to make clear, not dissing these, for some they are great, but for many the cool factor might be a trap, watch the video for the cons (and pros) this guy mentions, it might answer some questions you had, before shelling out crazy money for a tent.

Sponsored

Last edited:

John Bronco_ I am here

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnbronco.com
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '08 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like a RTT, been using one better part of 10 years. What I do not like is it on top of a vehicle.

The deal with a RTT is that it is not just a tent but a complete bed. Leave your bedding in there on top of the 3" mattress. They cost more because there is more there.

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are some pros for sure that people like but I prefer traditional

There are also plenty of fast/rapid/speed pitch tents that are easy to break down and throw in your rig and it seems easier and faster for multiple people to break down a site on the ground versus in the air

And if you want to get some quick shade and walk in/out for things without climbing up as well unless you have a separate shade canopy for a sitting area

The stuff you pile on your roof gets all the air kill bugs too

OP
OP
Daktari

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you ever had a rattler bite you squarely on the balls? Ever had your head ripped off by a grizzly?
haha, no, not that I remember. Watch the video, critters get up there just fine, don't think a rattler would have a problem at all, I've found them in stranger places.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like a RTT, been using one better part of 10 years. What I do not like is it on top of a vehicle.

The deal with a RTT is that it is not just a tent but a complete bed. Leave your bedding in there on top of the 3" mattress. They cost more because there is more there.
Have you ever considered putting it under the vehicle?

OP
OP
Daktari

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

so you have it on a trailer? That I could totally see, and there are nice options but it can get pricy quickly.

But yes, I'd never put one on top of my Bronco, certainly not with the loads that the regular roofs allow, and I'm not a fan of exoskeleton racks.

John Bronco_ I am here

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnbronco.com
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '08 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have you ever considered putting it under the vehicle?
And a swing and a miss...

so you have it on a trailer? That I could totally see, and there are nice options but it can get pricy quickly.

But yes, I'd never put one on top of my Bronco, certainly not with the loads that the regular roofs allow, and I'm not a fan of exoskeleton racks.
Yes, adventure style trailers are expensive, no matter how you cut it, or which type.

The real point is there is not a 'one-size-fits-all' for a camping shelter. An RTT is an investment and does not fit everyone's needs, especially if all you are doing is car camping.

Last edited:

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP
OP
Daktari

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, adventure style trailers are expensive, no matter how you cut it, or which style.

The real point is there is not a 'one-size-fits-all' for a camping shelter. An RTT is an investment and does not fit everyone's needs, especially if all you are doing is car camping.
oh, absolutely true. For me it would be a pain, as I'd be like the guy in the video, up early to drive to a sunrise spot or up late for sunset, having to deal with the RTT at those times would be a pain.

I just read a lot of posts here and on other forums, because these RTTs look cook and lots of youtubers have some fancy setups there is a lot of interest in them. The video points out a lot of things to consider before spending $2k+ and then not liking it.

Sponsored

John Bronco_ I am here

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnbronco.com
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '08 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Last edited:
OP
OP
Daktari

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve used a clamshell style RTT quite successfully. I wake up, climb out, pull it closed and drive off. That’s likely what I’ll get for the non SAS Bronco when it gets here in the fall. Makes it easy to get out remote and take a few days to enjoy a spot with the ability to get adventuring on a moments notice.
do you tend to get to a spot and stay there for a couple days? Then yes.

The video (and my pov) is more getting to camp, setting up, and then taking off on side trips with the Bronco, but coming back to the same spot where camp is set up.

Going to one spot for a couple of days or going to a different stop every night they might be great. He mentions those things too.
Sponsored