Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you ever had a rattler bite you squarely on the balls? Ever had your head ripped off by a grizzly?
HAHA! that's funny, you do know a grizzly can rip that thing right off the top of your truck! In AK I saw one rip the door off of a truck to get to some food.
Sponsored

Thane

Badlands
First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 FJ Cruiser, 21 JLURXR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Putting 200-300lbs in the worst spot, the roof, is a big no. Negotiating a ladder, barefoot, in the dark to free the evening's libations is also a big no. Stacking rocks to level rig-no. Swaying in the wind-no. Driving around with added weight between trips-no. Breaking down to hit trails-no.

Did the RTT thing decades ago in a VW Westfalia, could stand in it, better bed, less weight... still bad.

Pretending I am in a treehouse... fun.

Nobody

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snowtrek.org
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
came across this video today and it touches on all the points why I decided a RTT will never be my thing, way too expensive, way too cumbersome, exposed high to the wind and ties your rig down in the spot, so no exploring.

YMMV, would love to hear from those that have a RTT and love it, my guess it's people that go all day, stop and camp, then wrap up and go on for a week? Even then I'd not want one, except maybe on a small trailer that I can leave as base camp and explore or drive to that perfect sunrise/sunset spot that's too steep or rocky to set up camp.

Thoughtful analysis from somebody that's doing a lot of camping and has used his tent quite a bit, hope you find it interesting and maybe it'll answer some questions you might have. They look all safari cool, but to me they seem a big PITA.

ETA: just to make clear, not dissing these, for some they are great, but for many the cool factor might be a trap, watch the video for the cons (and pros) this guy mentions, it might answer some questions you had, before shelling out crazy money for a tent.

This guy gets it.

FlyingBronco

Badlands
First Name
The Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
came across this video today and it touches on all the points why I decided a RTT will never be my thing, way too expensive, way too cumbersome, exposed high to the wind and ties your rig down in the spot, so no exploring.

YMMV, would love to hear from those that have a RTT and love it, my guess it's people that go all day, stop and camp, then wrap up and go on for a week? Even then I'd not want one, except maybe on a small trailer that I can leave as base camp and explore or drive to that perfect sunrise/sunset spot that's too steep or rocky to set up camp.

Thoughtful analysis from somebody that's doing a lot of camping and has used his tent quite a bit, hope you find it interesting and maybe it'll answer some questions you might have. They look all safari cool, but to me they seem a big PITA.

ETA: just to make clear, not dissing these, for some they are great, but for many the cool factor might be a trap, watch the video for the cons (and pros) this guy mentions, it might answer some questions you had, before shelling out crazy money for a tent.

I’ve been debating this for a while. RTT are great because you get comfort, space and some security up high. Downfall is wanting to go explore trails for a day and keep your camp spot without it getting swooped. Also being more too heavy is never a good thing. Could buy a cheap Walmart tent and chair just to set up and claim your spot. I also have a chocolate lab, so getting him up and down from a RTT will be a bit of an issue. I am leaning towards having a sleep setup in my Bronco. Lower half will be storage, then have a shelf halfway up or so, put a nice comfy pad on it and go that route for a while. This setup seems like it would also be easier to manage when at home and just want to hit local trails without all the unnecessary weight. Just pull out the platform and a few other heavy items. Ready to Baja.

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Have you ever had a rattler bite you squarely on the balls? Ever had your head ripped off by a grizzly?
If they did, they are probably not active on the forums.

Sponsored

John Bronco_ I am here

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnbronco.com
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '08 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just read a lot of posts here and on other forums, because these RTTs look cook and lots of youtubers have some fancy setups there is a lot of interest in them. The video points out a lot of things to consider before spending $2k+ and then not liking it.
An informed buyer is usually a happier buyer. No one likes to waste money.

RTTs originated in Australia and South Africa, in those places there a multiple reasons to not sleep on or near the ground. Having a real bed instead of a sleeping pad is an attraction to some. I've heard people complain about set-up time, but it takes me about 3 min, granted I leave my side windows closed. An RTT comes into its own when you are traveling an isolated track, spending one night at a given spot, and move on down the road to sightsee.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm all in on a rtt, decided that back in June. I want to be self contained. I can hike an explore on foot. The next day I'm off to a new location to camp, if I want.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

At 73 there is no way in hell I am going to try to climb that ladder barefoot in the dark to take a piss, and don't even mention it to my wife! This is why I tow my off road fun behind a Class A motorhome with all the goodies. Park, set up camp (easy with push button everything) unhook the Bronco and explore. Besides, any tent is an oven in direct sunlight, and puttin it on top of your vehicle pretty much puts it in the sun. I car camped across Europe in the 80's, that was enough.

SwankyTiger

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
my issue is anything on the roof destroys the already low gas mileage the bronco will get, it might not matter as much if you have a large gas tank 20+ gallons like land cruisers and whatnot but the bronco has a 16 gallon tank in 2 door trim.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Also dogs

Sponsored
OP
OP
Daktari

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is why I tow my off road fun behind a Class A motorhome with all the goodies. Park, set up camp (easy with push button everything) unhook the Bronco and explore. Besides, any tent is an oven in direct sunlight, and puttin it on top of your vehicle pretty much puts it in the sun. I car camped across Europe in the 80's, that was enough.
friends of mine are full time nomads, that's what they do, they just tow their little car (not into offroading) and mostly go boon docking in the wild.

And that must have been fun in Europe, I'm from Erlangen, Germany, big army base there and in Nuremberg, I grew up to you guys running and singing in the woods behind my parent's house and machine guns at night on the training area in the woods. $ was pretty strong, lots of soldiers in fat BMW and Porsches too :-D
I just liked the US video stores where I could rent movies in English and w/o being all censored for violence (though the sex parts I had to watch on the German edition, haha!)

Anyway, back to our regular program, good input from all so far! I just figured the video is well done and might point out issues some might not expect.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

friends of mine are full time nomads, that's what they do, they just tow their little car (not into offroading) and mostly go boon docking in the wild.

And that must have been fun in Europe, I'm from Erlangen, Germany, big army base there and in Nuremberg, I grew up to you guys running and singing in the woods behind my parent's house and machine guns at night on the training area in the woods. $ was pretty strong, lots of soldiers in fat BMW and Porsches too :-D
I just liked the US video stores where I could rent movies in English and w/o being all censored for violence (though the sex parts I had to watch on the German edition, haha!)

Anyway, back to our regular program, good input from all so far! I just figured the video is well done and might point out issues some might not expect.
Only way to roll!! We have gone coast to coast, but love the mountains!
Ford Bronco why NOT to get a roof top tent IMG_3296

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've never had the desire to have a roof top tent. He explains many of the reasons. I've tent camped for decades, it always works at a fraction of the cost ;)

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I enjoyed watching the video. Thank you for this thread.

I have a good 4-season ground tent made for extreme conditions which I plan to use. It has served me well in gale force winds and a heavy snow load. (See link below.) I also have a 55lb dog. It is easy for me to get him in the tent on cold nights. Carrying him up a ladder, would not be so good.

Staika • 2 person tent • Hilleberg
Sponsored