Sponsored

Why the 2024 Tacoma Trailhunter and TRD Pro Are Worth the Hype (Video)

Independence Overland

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
Hey guys, I did another video covering some of the things that I havent seen talked about much. I know these trucks are expensive, but lets be real they are as luxurious as the past Lexus generation. The upper trims have some distinct advantages when it comes to those who actually wheel and offroad their vehicles. Some of these differences are huge, like the steering. It doesnt seem as exciting as shocks in the seats, but in my opinion its far more important. Upgrading the steering in previous generation trucks has become a very common mod. I cover this, as well as some other important things that will seperate the top trims. This time around, its much more than a lift kit and badging.

Sponsored

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
If you get an early delivery & fit it with a wedge camper definitely suss-out how you're going to get the camera on the rear cab spoiler moved to the rear of the camper shell. Like you said the halo tacos are luxury, so I expect Sheldon & his crew to have a great answer to the rearview digital display when loading up the bed or having a permanent shell on the back. We need to be able to unplug that rear camera like the dash speaker! And a wifi trailer cam as the only answer doesn't cut the mustard IMO if you're dropping 65K

OP
OP
Independence Overland

Independence Overland

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
If you get an early delivery & fit it with a wedge camper definitely suss-out how you're going to get the camera on the rear cab spoiler moved to the rear of the camper shell. Like you said the halo tacos are luxury, so I expect Sheldon & his crew to have a great answer to the rearview digital display when loading up the bed or having a permanent shell on the back. We need to be able to unplug that rear camera like the dash speaker! And a wifi trailer cam as the only answer doesn't cut the mustard IMO if you're dropping 65K
Theres already a kit for the Tundras to relocate the bed cam to the back of the truck for this reason. As far as the tailgate camera, I am unsure how that one will work. I will be figuring some stuff out!

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
Theres already a kit for the Tundras to relocate the bed cam to the back of the truck for this reason.
awesome, yea needs to be unpluggable and wired to the back hatch on people's setups. My GFC won't have a window over the tailgate, would feel like a bozo nixing tech features while adding analog necessities on the back.

On the test mule, the cam setup is 2: one for the bed, one for the rearview mirror. Would be sick if they can be separated so the wide angle bed is still usable.

The tailgate cam if I'm not mistaken is just a wide angle for backup/360 awareness feature/trailer connecting. shoots the ground mostly..?

2024 Tacoma Why the 2024 Tacoma Trailhunter and TRD Pro Are Worth the Hype (Video) Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 6.41.59 PM

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hey guys, I did another video covering some of the things that I havent seen talked about much. I know these trucks are expensive, but lets be real they are as luxurious as the past Lexus generation. The upper trims have some distinct advantages when it comes to those who actually wheel and offroad their vehicles. Some of these differences are huge, like the steering. It doesnt seem as exciting as shocks in the seats, but in my opinion its far more important. Upgrading the steering in previous generation trucks has become a very common mod. I cover this, as well as some other important things that will seperate the top trims. This time around, its much more than a lift kit and badging.

I always come back to this video. It’s great.

have you gotten any more concrete info on payload since this video?

The website was updated with payload details that I expected for the hybrids, but I also saw a video of a trailhunter with a ~1200 lb sticker. What’s that about?

OP
OP
Independence Overland

Independence Overland

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
I always come back to this video. It’s great.

have you gotten any more concrete info on payload since this video?

The website was updated with payload details that I expected for the hybrids, but I also saw a video of a trailhunter with a ~1200 lb sticker. What’s that about?
Not too surprising, I wish it was more too but consider this. It’s slightly more payload than the 3rd gen was in a 4 door, 5 ft bed.

What to note is the Trailhunter already has rock sliders, rear bumper, skid plates, bed rack, and snorkel. Not to mention suspension upgrades. So you get a similar payload to the last generation after all of that. Rock sliders alone can weigh 80-125lbs per side.

I now have an allocation with my name on it. I will be covering more details on this kind of stuff as soon as I have the truck (end of July it looks like).

North

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Lexus LX470. 2022 Can Am Commander XT-P Max
Outside of the lower payload stickers on the test model(s), is there any reason to believe that the info on Toyota's website is not accurate? The info on their website aligns more with the much-touted "1709 pounds" of payload for the hybrids, while the door sticker aligns more with the lower numbers published in the manual. Seems to me that the higher number is more likely being that's what's currently published on their site and the payloads listed in the manual don't make any sense, but maybe that's wishful thinking...

OP
OP
Independence Overland

Independence Overland

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
Outside of the lower payload stickers on the test model(s), is there any reason to believe that the info on Toyota's website is not accurate? The info on their website aligns more with the much-touted "1709 pounds" of payload for the hybrids, while the door sticker aligns more with the lower numbers published in the manual. Seems to me that the higher number is more likely being that's what's currently published on their site and the payloads listed in the manual don't make any sense, but maybe that's wishful thinking...
I’m guessing the 1709lb payload is absolute peak, stripped down hybrid. The door stickers are probably accurate, but I could very well be wrong. In most cases, “maximum ******lb payload” is usually a very basic model.

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I’ve also seen various lift numbers. Why does the site and build sheets say 1 and .5 inch? I thought it was 2 and something?

im also curious about the quality of the rock rails, underbody protection, etc on the TH vs aftermarket. It seems like a great value if you plan to add all this anyway but what if it’s not up to quality?

North

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Lexus LX470. 2022 Can Am Commander XT-P Max
I’m guessing the 1709lb payload is absolute peak, stripped down hybrid. The door stickers are probably accurate, but I could very well be wrong. In most cases, “maximum ******lb payload” is usually a very basic model.
Their website currently claims 1705 for the TRD Offroad Hybrid (which is very close to 1709) and claims Trailhunter w/ 5 ft bed is 1475. I find it weird that they would be listing these numbers as people are ordering these trucks if they are wildly off. I know there was a few anomalies in their specs (the moonroof comes to mind) but listing (way better) payload numbers is almost akin to listing incorrect HP or MPG numbers at this point. And I'd assume that anything that comes standard would have to be included towards payload even if the accessory is easily removed (sport rack would be the main thing).

I've heard the Tundra door stickers were/are lower than actual calculated payload, which has caused similar confusion for Tundra guys, but I haven't dug into that too much. My guess is based on the claimed 1709 max payload that the specs on Toyota's site are correct and the door stickers are off either because these are still pre/early production trucks or Toyota is just weirdly conservative on their door stickers. But time will tell.

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
Yeah and I wonder if they calculate that peak number excluding other stuff like the power tailgate and moonroof too which are standard equipment but technically aren’t on a “barebones Tacoma”. (As in that top number comes from a truck that can never exist/would never be built). I have a feeling this is the case? Hm. Either way the manual itself does say 1215 for the SB and 1245 for the LB trailhunter

OP
OP
Independence Overland

Independence Overland

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
Their website currently claims 1705 for the TRD Offroad Hybrid (which is very close to 1709) and claims Trailhunter w/ 5 ft bed is 1475. I find it weird that they would be listing these numbers as people are ordering these trucks if they are wildly off. I know there was a few anomalies in their specs (the moonroof comes to mind) but listing (way better) payload numbers is almost akin to listing incorrect HP or MPG numbers at this point. And I'd assume that anything that comes standard would have to be included towards payload even if the accessory is easily removed (sport rack would be the main thing).

I've heard the Tundra door stickers were/are lower than actual calculated payload, which has caused similar confusion for Tundra guys, but I haven't dug into that too much. My guess is based on the claimed 1709 max payload that the specs on Toyota's site are correct and the door stickers are off either because these are still pre/early production trucks or Toyota is just weirdly conservative on their door stickers. But time will tell.
I hope you’re right! Either way, these things are stout. I’m going to do a video on how stout they are as soon as I get mine. I’ve got some things to cover I think people will appreciate. Or they will just get mad about the price again 🤷🏼‍♂️🤣
Sponsored