Sponsored

Why Would Anyone Pay A “Non-Refundable” Deposit ???

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A $100 deposit just allowed too many not serious customers that spends most of their time complaining about EVERYTHING!

just read all the threads on this forum. the majority are just bitching about anything and everything.
None of that changes the reasons Ford did it. They have 125,000 orders for Broncos. They would have less had they charged $1000 up front. The system worked for them.
Sponsored

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I always thought Ford should have made the reservation deposit at least $500 if not a $1000. I can guarantee you that at $1000, reservation #s would be a lot lower and very few double reservations by the same person would exist. Let’s separate the men from the boys. And anyone leaving a $1000 reservation deposit would gladly leave a non refundable deposit as you were a serious buyer from the get go.
that would've been bad business.

Ford doesn't care if a man or a boy (according to your phrase) is buying the Bronco. Hell, they'll even sell one to a woman! Men from the boys... C'mon dude. It's 2021, be better.

But that's bad business on Ford’s part. The $100 is genius, imo. It gets lots of people signed up and "invested" long before options are even known. Most of the 190k who reserved followed along and paid a lot more attention than they would have otherwise and many became emotionally invested to a much greater extent. People who would never have paid a $1000 reservation and may have gone elsewhere now can't wait for their Bronco to arrive. From Ford’s perspective, that's perfect. And worth the headaches of some who don't follow through.

The reservation process wasn't designed for the hard core enthusiast. It was designed to capture the curious.
100%

I'm a perfect example. As I've shared numerous times on this forum, I didn't even know Ford was bringing back the Bronco, but was searching new cars and was interested in a Jeep, but not totally sold on it. So google must've figured I'd like the Bronco and showed me an article about the release. I looked at it and was like "I want that". Saw it was only $100 to reserve and dove right in. As my wife said to me, it's only $100, why not. Now if it was $1k to reserve, zero chance I would've reserved one. Maybe eventually I would've bought one when they end up on lots, but there's no chance Ford would've had as many reservations as they ended up with.

It was a smart business move. And Ford is in the business of selling cars... to men, women, boys, girls... everyone!

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Relax buddy.

Let me rephrase to make you feel better

Ford should have a deposit more than $100 deposit do weed out the tire kickers.

Better?

that would've been bad business.

Ford doesn't care if a man or a boy (according to your phrase) is buying the Bronco. Hell, they'll even sell one to a woman! Men from the boys... C'mon dude. It's 2021, be better.

100%

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Relax buddy.

Better?
The problem with that approach is that car makers LOVE tire kickers. They have to have tire kickers. And capturing a tire kicker and getting them emotionally invested in a brand is what allows brands to stick around.

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Relax buddy.

Better?
much :LOL:

but why? I was a tire kicker and now I'm a fully converted purchaser. Handing over Ford $45k. Isn't that a win?

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thank you for your purchase and helping the economy move forward!

:)

much :LOL:

but why? I was a tire kicker and now I'm a fully converted purchaser. Handing over Ford $45k. Isn't that a win?

2001 escape

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Escape XLT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just ran across this....I have no affiliation with this.

2021 Ford Bronco MANUAL TRANS BASE- ZERO OPTION ORDER
2021 Ford Bronco SUV White 4WD Manual MANUAL TRANS BASE- ZERO OPTION ORDER

Ford Bronco Why Would Anyone Pay A “Non-Refundable” Deposit ??? tnj4p1myre1mpff12w4j1llndmc
10 viewed per hour

Seller :
eshe8854 (448 )
100% Positive feedback

Condition:
Used

“New Bronco, will deliver direct from the dealer with clear Florida title.”

Time left:
Time left:24d 10h
7/17, 8:40PM

Price:
US $75,000.00

Ford Bronco Why Would Anyone Pay A “Non-Refundable” Deposit ??? tnj4p1myre1mpff12w4j1llndmc

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just ran across this....I have no affiliation with this.

2021 Ford Bronco MANUAL TRANS BASE- ZERO OPTION ORDER
2021 Ford Bronco SUV White 4WD Manual MANUAL TRANS BASE- ZERO OPTION ORDER

10 viewed per hour

Seller :
eshe8854 (448 )
100% Positive feedback

Condition:
Used

“New Bronco, will deliver direct from the dealer with clear Florida title.”

Time left:
Time left:24d 10h
7/17, 8:40PM

Price:
US $75,000.00

Wowza. $75,000 for a zero-optioned base? Even after sales tax and title work to take delivery then transfer, that's gonna be a $40,000 take.

I'd sell mine the day I get it for a $40k premium. I can be patient for that.

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This has ZERO to do with a deposit. The deposit is for the dealership and they have nothing to do with the production timelines.

This is super simple. If you don't feel comfortable paying a deposit on a vehicle with ambiguous delivery schedules, then don't do it. This is not a hard problem.
For every dealership wanting to hold potentially $1000 for an indefinite amount of time there are 10 that don't require a deposit. If folks are fine giving their money away with potentially nothing in return cool I guess.

Sponsored

EagleWorks

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Navigator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In my business, I take lots of custom orders. I can’t imagine not requiring a deposit before any work begins, actually I can imagine because I started out doing business that way, but it didn’t take very long to realize I wouldn’t stay in business if I continued taking custom orders without deposits.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For every dealership wanting to hold potentially $1000 for an indefinite amount of time there are 10 that don't require a deposit. If folks are fine giving their money away with potentially nothing in return cool I guess.
I think you are fabricating a stat to reinforce your argument. I suspect way more than 10% of dealerships are asking for deposits.

But it really doesn't matter. I paid a $500 deposit, which seemed reasonable. My dealership is 4 min from my house. I don't want to drive 20,40,60,800 minutes from my house to save the interest on that $500 deposit. It's just not worth it to me. YMMV.

I just don't find this to be onerous or heavy handed.

In my business, I take lots of custom orders. I can’t imagine not requiring a deposit before any work begins, actually I can imagine because I started out doing business that way, but it didn’t take very long to realize I wouldn’t stay in business if I continued taking custom orders without deposits.
This.
Sponsored