Sponsored

Why would Ford go lower in the axles on a Mansquatch?

nick112288

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So I've seen a couple posts speculating that when Ford does the Mansquatch they'll regear the axles even lower than 4.7:1

Why? Top gear with 4.46 and 4.7 on all available tire sizes is within 100 RPM of 4.7 and 35s.

Other than being able to retake the title of lowest over all ratio from Jeep I can't see why they'd do it.
Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The effective ratio to the ground (adjusted for tire diameter) is pretty constant across all models/tire sizes. To maintain that ratio, which apparently Ford thinks is important, they need to go between a 4.88 and a 5.13, I would hope they would go with the 5.13 to maintain the RPM to ground rotation ratio plus a little extra to offset any extra rolling weight over the stock 33's on the BL.

edit; don't forget that 4.46 is with the auto trans, has a torque converter with probably a high STR that will multiply the stopped to moving torque quite a bit, while the manual does not. Manual needs more gear than an automatic

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Ford will never do 5.13. The raptor has a 37 option and they stuck with the same 4.1 in the 35 and 37s

Catmandu

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKU (Officially Sold), 2015 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am thinking they will more than likely keep the 4.7 or at best bump to 4.88. I tried to push the question to MLevine when they posted the Mansquatch pictures recently. Understandably. I did not get a response. I am thinking gearing would have been on of the things in their testing matrix.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The first gear (not crawler) is fairly low on the manual transmission. I drove a Badlands with manual and it was almost too low for anything other than starting from a dead stop. So I bet them will keep the Squatch diff gearing as is with the manual.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I am thinking they will more than likely keep the 4.7 or at best bump to 4.88. I tried to push the question to MLevine when they posted the Mansquatch pictures recently. Understandably. I did not get a response. I am thinking gearing would have been on of the things in their testing matrix.
Someone posted Jeep is doing 4.88 with the manual on the Extreme Recon Package. So we’ll probably see 4.88s at least, maybe 5.13 because the non-Squatch Badlands is 4.7 to the Rubicon’s 4.10.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford will never do 5.13. The raptor has a 37 option and they stuck with the same 4.1 in the 35 and 37s
Does the Raptor have a manual transmission with the same gearing as the Bronco? Is the transfer case the same? If those answers are no...then it is completely irrelevant. You're only talking about 1/3rd of the formula.

To the OP: With the manual, it is very important to keep that crawl ratio in a good spot for off road use...that means taller gears if you put on bigger tires. That's a critical piece if you crawl at all...and Ford won't drop the ball by not keeping the ratio where they had it on the MY21 trucks.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
When sourcing parts for any vehicle manufacturers looks to see if those parts already used in their company. 4.7 gears are being used. The chance of ford doing 5.13 is slim. Will they still source 5.13 elsewhere? maybe assuming they need lots of them. I doubt they will as manuals are a small % of their sales.

But we will see what they will do.

Does the Raptor have a manual transmission with the same gearing as the Bronco? Is the transfer case the same? If those answers are no...then it is completely irrelevant. You're only talking about 1/3rd of the formula.

To the OP: With the manual, it is very important to keep that crawl ratio in a good spot for off road use...that means taller gears if you put on bigger tires. That's a critical piece if you crawl at all...and Ford won't drop the ball by not keeping the ratio where they had it on the MY21 trucks.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When sourcing parts for any vehicle manufacturers looks to see if those parts already used in their company. 4.7 gears are being used. The chance of ford doing 5.13 is slim. Will they still source 5.13 elsewhere? maybe assuming they need lots of them. I doubt they will as manuals are a small % of their sales.

I believe they do have 5.13 as an accessory offering if I remember correctly...but they definitely have 4.88. My bet is they go with the one that provides the same crawl ratio that they have now with the manual, and I haven't run the numbers to see what is closest.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Well, they have both the 4.88 and the 5.13, and also 5.38 in the accessory list, so I guess we’ll see.

To equal the current Badlands manual crawling ability, they’d need 4.95, and to beat Jeep Xtreme Recons 100:1, they’d need 4.96, so I would not be surprised to see 5.13s (103.4:1) on Badlands Mansquatch and 4.88s on Base, BB and BD Mansquatch.

Sponsored

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford is ordering axle sets (and by extension, differential sets) from Dana Corporation. Ford calculates and configures their optional package with a specification, gets it approved, tests, orders a test sample, validates the specification and then orders a projected total allotment from the manufacturer. If the manufacturer can meet the demand, they accept the order and begin producing and shipping parts on a schedule to meet demand of assembly. Ford is not placing different gear sets in the front and rear differentials at MAP. This process was initiated when they agreed to basemansquatch months ago due to customer interest, initiated a change order and the above is months from the first delivery of an optional higher ratio being shipped.

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Thought I remember seeing 5.13 as an available item on an older accessory catalog sheet.

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
edit; don't forget that 4.46 is with the auto trans,... Manual needs more gear than an automatic
My base _manual_ is 4.46

Upsizing to 33s from stock 30s still leaves first as a very brief gear when accelerating. I never drove it with 30s but think 1st would have seemed almost like a nuisance

That's all I have to say about that.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I wonder if the 5.13 accessories can come from the factory? The majority of accessories do not come from the factory so 5.13 gears are useless if Ford makes you order them and install them yourself.

Thought I remember seeing 5.13 as an available item on an older accessory catalog sheet.
Sponsored