Sponsored

Wider replacement tires for Outer Banks?

Aviboy97

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hey everyone,

I’ve got an OBX reservation and the only thing that bothers me is the tire size.

If this question has been asked/answered in another thread, please feel free to redirect me….

Would it be possible to keep the factory 18’s and just replace the narrow tires with something more like a 265/70 or a 275/70? I think the 255 is just too narrow.

It seems the Bronco has a better stance with the 265/70 on the Black Diamond.

I’m ok with the 32” if I can get them wider to come closer to the edge of fender flares.

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.
Sponsored

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

your best bet is to hold off until delivery and then go to your local tire shop. they will be willing to sell you any size of tire you would like. the 18x7.5 wheel should be able to easily mount a 275 width tire. it just seems like you are throwing away perfectly good set of tires for little real gain... the 255 tire is 10 inches wide, maybe you should consider getting some wheel spacers to push out the tires more if all you are looking for is aesthetics..

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There's no problem replacing them, but the difference in 255 and 265 isn't worth it just for the 10mm, in my opinion. Of course, I like 255 tires and will be putting 255/80/17s on my Bronco at the dealer.

From just a visual reference, the brand of tire will make more of a difference in looks than a difference in 10mm in overall width. That's only 5mm closer to the fender, which is not much.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you seen them in person?

For the longest time the only Broncos I could actually see in person were OBX's and one of the things that struck me was how big even those tires were.
I get that your talking width as opposed to height, but still .... the BD is only 10mm wider (.39") and half an inch shorter.... it's more likely the tread pattern itself gives it a totally different look.
But if you're going to change them, the two sizes you posted have decent offerings in either SL or C ratings.
Those 18" wheels tend to narrow the selection down quite a bit.
Here's what I'd pick:
In the SL rating ... not an E. https://tiresize.com/tires/Toyo/Open-Country-AT-III-265-70R18.htm

taller and wider for the win.

Stu baby

Outer Banks
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Audi
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Somebody posted a picture of an OBX with Cooper AT3 with RWL size 275/70R-18 . Looked awesome

Sponsored

TankCommander

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar F-Type R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't really know anything about tires but what would happen if you selected a 275/65-18?

If these fit there would be no need to adjust the speedometer. Someone please correct me if this would not work. I was thinking of the Bronco Accessory wheel (18x8) and the size 2 tires in this chart if I changed from a BL to an OBX.

Ford Bronco Wider replacement tires for Outer Banks? 1627219977897

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Your OB comes with +55 offset wheels… the widest tire that Ford sells on the +55 offset are 285s (the 285/70r17 on the BL).

There is already reports of people putting 315 width on +55 wheels without issue… but thats via a FB/IG post.

I’d say you’re absolutely safe doing up to 285 width since that’s what Ford already ships.

(diameter is a different story, but I think you won’t run into any real issues if all youre looking for is aesthetics)

BTomorama

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

285-70r17 has been confirmed to fit the standard suspension (non-BL, non-Sas) if you are just going for looks. Going with an r18 tire would fit the same if you wanted to keep the stock wheels.

stuckinohio

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Badlands, MT High 2 Dr, V6 Outer Banks, Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think the problem with the tires on the OBX is not just the size but also the tread pattern/tire type. They look weak/non-aggressive. Like a passenger car tire

I'm debating doing the same thing to save money, but I'm not sure I even want to keep the 18" rims!

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the problem with the tires on the OBX is not just the size but also the tread pattern/tire type. They look weak/non-aggressive. Like a passenger car tire

I'm debating doing the same thing to save money, but I'm not sure I even want to keep the 18" rims!
I didn't realize how limited the larger tire options for the 18's are! (upper 32's and into 33"s) This thread is what prompted me to look at that.
Especially if you throw out the load range E selections.
Somebody posted an article about WHY 17's are so popular for offroad / all terrains type tires ... didn't read it though. lol
17's are the only wheels I'm considering now.

Sponsored

stuckinohio

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I didn't realize how limited the larger tire options for the 18's are! (upper 32's and into 33"s) This thread is what prompted me to look at that.
Especially if you throw out the load range E selections.
Somebody posted an article about WHY 17's are so popular for offroad / all terrains type tires ... didn't read it though. lol
17's are the only wheels I'm considering now.
Yeah. I'm seeing that now! Ugh..... I'll search for the above article. I think I have a basic grasp on it, but I'm sure I'm missing some info. Maybe I'll save up some pennies till next spring and upgrade rims/tires/lift.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah. I'm seeing that now! Ugh..... I'll search for the above article. I think I have a basic grasp on it, but I'm sure I'm missing some info. Maybe I'll save up some pennies till next spring and upgrade rims/tires/lift.
Didn't find much in a quick googler search.
I'd lean towards "it becomes a compromise type situation."
The 17" allows for larger , better brake systems yet still allows for plenty of side wall, which is a key thing offroad.
There is a whole host of benefits to that taller sidewall.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If it was mine, I would swap to sasquatch tires. And wheels, then get rid of the painted flares, mirrors, door handles and running boards.

stuckinohio

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sidewall is what I basically knew. But I don't know the exact reasons. Gotta do some more digging.

old goat

Big Bend
First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If it was mine, I would swap to sasquatch tires. And wheels, then get rid of the painted flares, mirrors, door handles and running boards.
why even have an OBX ??? / but it's not yours :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored