Sponsored

Wider replacement tires for Outer Banks?

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I believe it's the tread pattern that kills the looks of the BB and OBX. The BD tires are less than a 1/2' wider and a 1/2" shorter than the BB and OBX's but look much better. I'm going to live with the BB tires as long as I can stand it (2 days to 2 yrs) then upgrade to something a little taller and more aggressive like Toyo ATIII's, 255/80x17
Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think the problem with the tires on the OBX is not just the size but also the tread pattern/tire type. They look weak/non-aggressive. Like a passenger car tire

I'm debating doing the same thing to save money, but I'm not sure I even want to keep the 18" rims!
That’s because they are passenger tires. Says so right on the B&P site.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The OBX is the model that best suits my needs. Unfortunately, the tires, body color wheel flares and the interior are not to my liking. I can live with the standard blue gray cloth interior but not the others. OBX with SAS is most likely my build. Then again, there could be a WT with my name on it as well. Lol

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

the reason ford is doing this is to tweak out a little better gas mileage... the narrower 255 tire has less friction on the road and helps to save a mile per gallon on the CAFE... it is just to keep the government off their back...

2.3BigBend

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work Beater
Your Bronco Model
Base
There's no problem replacing them, but the difference in 255 and 265 isn't worth it just for the 10mm, in my opinion. Of course, I like 255 tires and will be putting 255/80/17s on my Bronco at the dealer.

From just a visual reference, the brand of tire will make more of a difference in looks than a difference in 10mm in overall width. That's only 5mm closer to the fender, which is not much.
If all tires were equal I'd agree. But some 255's measure 7" tread width and others are 8.5" etc. even though they should all have a section width right around 255 mm/ 10 inches. So they can vary a lot.

Hey everyone,

I’ve got an OBX reservation and the only thing that bothers me is the tire size.

If this question has been asked/answered in another thread, please feel free to redirect me….

Would it be possible to keep the factory 18’s and just replace the narrow tires with something more like a 265/70 or a 275/70? I think the 255 is just too narrow.

It seems the Bronco has a better stance with the 265/70 on the Black Diamond.

I’m ok with the 32” if I can get them wider to come closer to the edge of fender flares.

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.
I would go with a 275/65R-18 if I was in your position. Decent tread options in standard load or "C" load and you keep your 32.1" height. As kodiak mentioned in his post, just a more aggressive tread/sidewall will make a huge difference. I kinda wish my BB had the 18" wheels. You get lots of options in that size. I would stay away from "E" load range, it will make a pretty significantly harsher ride. You can get the General Grabber ATx ( same as BD ) in SL, it's a true 32" (not 31.6" like BD) tire and get white letters!! But there are others too. If you ever wanted a 33" tire, the 275/70R-18 is a true 33", but they are mostly an "E" load range, but there are some options in SL, C and D.

Sponsored

TTU86

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi SQ8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think the problem with the tires on the OBX is not just the size but also the tread pattern/tire type. They look weak/non-aggressive. Like a passenger car tire

I'm debating doing the same thing to save money, but I'm not sure I even want to keep the 18" rims!
Powder coat them all black and they will look great, that’s what I’m going to do

stuckinohio

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Badlands, MT High 2 Dr, V6 Outer Banks, Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If it was mine, I would swap to sasquatch tires. And wheels, then get rid of the painted flares, mirrors, door handles and running boards.
If it were yours you would not have ordered an outerbanks lol.

OBXA51

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If it was mine, I would swap to sasquatch tires. And wheels, then get rid of the painted flares, mirrors, door handles and running boards.
If I wanted an ugly truck, then I would have picked a trim line that was ugly ;)
Sponsored