First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL 2dr, '21 Q5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
We test drove a Black Diamond 2 Dr yesterday with the 2.7 and my wife loved it minus the acceleration lag. She is wanting an Outer Banks non SAS and I’m wondering if the 2.3 would be better for her needs? In town DD. Occasional campsite visits. Is the acceleration any better or worse in a 2 door with the 2.3 vs 2.7? Also the 4.46 gears vs 3.73. Any noticeable difference with the standard 32” tires? Going to order it tomorrow. I’m easily influenced. Please help. She drives a ‘21 q5 4cyl but that is a quick little car. She’ll get used to the bronco I’m sure. Loved being up high. Tried to get her in an on lot base SAS but she doesn’t want a lift or 35s. I’m in a JL lifted on 35s. Gotta say I’m super stoked to get a Bronco. I was going to trade for that base SAS but a kid bought it while we were there.
Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you are wanting a 2-door you may be in for a long wait so be fore warned. The 2.3 probably has as much hp & tq as your JL so I wouldn't worry about it, especially in the smaller and lighter 2-door. As far as gearing, the taller gear (4.46) will help curb the acceleration lag and will be better for 35's once her stock tires wear out. If going non-Squatch at least get the rear locker and possibly the fulltime 4wd option, they are both cheap enough, good to have, and better on resale. Lastly, dealers were provided with a doc similar as the one below so they know their allocations and constraints. Be sure to have an honest conversation with your dealer(s) about their remaining orders and your likely hood of getting scheduled this year. You may have to call around a bit to find one with 2-door capacity.

FYI, my wife currently drives a BL non-Squatch moar door and we are "upgrading" her to a loaded OBX Squatch which should be here in about a month.

Ford Bronco Wife is ordering a Bronco!! 1682013550461

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
....Is the acceleration any better or worse in a 2 door with the 2.3 vs 2.7? .....
The 2.7 has more torque so accelration is better. However, the lag you mentioned is in the auto transmission, waiting on it to decide what to do.

The 2.3 is plenty for 'lighter duty' usage, almost as much HP as the 2.7 and better fuel mileage. The 2.7 has more robust internals, designed as a truck engine for heavier use.

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Acceleration lag. That’s funny

Sponsored

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The 2.3 is fun, plenty of 'get up and go', even in 'normal' driving mode. It was my only option as I had to have a m/t, but I'm plenty happy with it.

OJ’s Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Zay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lexus IS350 DHP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If you are wanting a 2-door you may be in for a long wait so be fore warned. The 2.3 probably has as much hp & tq as your JL so I wouldn't worry about it, especially in the smaller and lighter 2-door. As far as gearing, the taller gear (4.46) will help curb the acceleration lag and will be better for 35's once her stock tires wear out. If going non-Squatch at least get the rear locker and possibly the fulltime 4wd option, they are both cheap enough, good to have, and better on resale. Lastly, dealers were provided with a doc similar as the one below so they know their allocations and constraints. Be sure to have an honest conversation with your dealer(s) about their remaining orders and your likely hood of getting scheduled this year. You may have to call around a bit to find one with 2-door capacity.

FYI, my wife currently drives a BL non-Squatch moar door and we are "upgrading" her to a loaded OBX Squatch which should be here in about a month.

Ford Bronco Wife is ordering a Bronco!! 1682013550461
I ordered a 2 door wildtrak on 3/27/23 and got scheduled for June 12th , so he might get lucky

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
She should be happy with either engine option. Street performance will not compare to the Audi, so just accept that. I have personally found that JeepLife/BroncoLife leads me to be more relaxed in my driving style, especially when running top down. On the opposite spectrum, when driving the Mustang I would find myself jamming gears and looking down at the speedometer with a "whoops".
As @Blue Bronco mentioned, the upgraded gears will help with performance, but is also a must have in my opinion as most people go down the rabbit hole of getting larger tires and similar modifications once they get the "fever".

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
She should be happy with either engine option. Street performance will not compare to the Audi, so just accept that. I have personally found that JeepLife/BroncoLife leads me to be more relaxed in my driving style, especially when running top down. On the opposite spectrum, when driving the Mustang I would find myself jamming gears and looking down at the speedometer with a "whoops".
As @Blue Bronco mentioned, the upgraded gears will help with performance, but is also a must have in my opinion as most people go down the rabbit hole of getting larger tires and similar modifications once they get the "fever".
I gotta agree here. Drove a family member's Camaro in-between vehicles before I got my jeep and it was wayyyy too easy to break some rules of the road. The Jeep holds me more accountable and i find that road-trips aren't nearly as stressful or filled with road-rage anymore.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just Sasquatch the OBX and be done with it all.

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a 2dr BD non sas with the 2.3 auto and 4.46 gears. I have a heavy foot and usually leave it in sport mode. It does have some lag but but overall Im very happy with it.

OP
OP
rizion

rizion

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL 2dr, '21 Q5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have a 2dr BD non sas with the 2.3 auto and 4.46 gears. I have a heavy foot and usually leave it in sport mode. It does have some lag but but overall Im very happy with it.
Glad to hear it. This is the route she wants to go.

OP
OP
rizion

rizion

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL 2dr, '21 Q5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Ford Bronco Wife is ordering a Bronco!! broncowranglercompared-1-final-1626886710
Thanks for the reply and info. And congrats on the pending upgrade. This is our first ordered vehicle so the help is appreciated. Thankfully my boss/friend has ordered plenty and sent me to his ford guy. So I did get the paperwork shown and they have 8 2 doors left to order. We have a year left in her lease so fingers crossed the timing will workout.

OP
OP
rizion

rizion

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL 2dr, '21 Q5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Did she try Sport mode? 🤔
Welp. This is embarrassing but I didn’t drive the bronco nor did I know to tell her to even try sport mode. Didn’t know there were different modes. I actually kinda hate that there are but not enough to talk her out of the bronco.
Sponsored