First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Fusion Sport, 90 Fox 5.0 Lx Hatch, 99 Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I define "well built" as the art of the craftsmanship used to make the parts and assemble the machine. My only interest in H-D is an FLCH Police edition. I've looked at a few over the years to buy but haven't pulled the trigger. I ride a 1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate, which probably still walks away from most Electra Glides 22 years later. But as far as build quality I think the Harleys have it over my Valk. Now as far as engine design over a H-D twin, the Honda F6 is a gem. Multi-cylinder water-cooled engines just make more power than air-cooled twins in the same size range because of the tolerances water cooling allows.

I'll not argue about engine design because Harley could get more reliable power with adopting water-cooling. But sales wise one can't argue Harley Davidson's business case. They by far own the road bike market in the US, and it's based on the big twin.

I still think the build craftsmanship of a Harley Davidson is pretty damned good.
I wont say that there isn't a quality of craftsmanship to building a bike like a tractor. Of course a simple machine with low manufacturing tolerances and the ability to use bacon grease as lube has its perks, but HD has been riding on the coat tails of their marketing dept who is riding on the coat tails of what HD used to be.

HD used to build the baddest bikes on the road, and they were bought by badass adrenaline junkies that needed an outlet (and income cough cough) after the war ended. The only reasons they can survive today is because they built such a vast and loyal following of people that want to be seen as badasses. There is no amount of craftsmanship that goes into HD that you cant find in other brands for a lot less money, though.

I'm generalizing the HD market, obviously. I know a lot of people buy them because they have fantastic service support, sound amazing, and are comfy. Some people buy them because a lot of MCs wont allow anything else. Not many people buy them because they think they're reliable or fast, though. Even the premium handcrafted Ducatis are a meme of unreliability, much like Land Rover.

I guess it really does come down to personal values. I value smart engineering and speed over clout and steam powered simplicity. Others value a tight knit community and/or a good looking vehicle built by a cabinet maker.

I do think it's pretty damn funny when I run into the all-to-common HD owner that thinks their 2 cubic foot screaming sparrow KY Glide can outrun my "little jap bike." I had a buddy that thought his new Fat Bob would embarass my 20 year old Blackbird. Since you have a Valk, I'm sure you can imagine how that went.

Anyway, moral of the story is that I hope the dude-bros stick to the Wranglers. The first Bronco I see with angry eyes and 22 inch rims will undoubtedly break my heart a little.
Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I wont say that there isn't a quality of craftsmanship to building a bike like a tractor. Of course a simple machine with low manufacturing tolerances and the ability to use bacon grease as lube has its perks, but HD has been riding on the coat tails of their marketing dept who is riding on the coat tails of what HD used to be.

HD used to build the baddest bikes on the road, and they were bought by badass adrenaline junkies that needed an outlet (and income cough cough) after the war ended. The only reasons they can survive today is because they built such a vast and loyal following of people that want to be seen as badasses. There is no amount of craftsmanship that goes into HD that you cant find in other brands for a lot less money, though.

I'm generalizing the HD market, obviously. I know a lot of people buy them because they have fantastic service support, sound amazing, and are comfy. Some people buy them because a lot of MCs wont allow anything else. Not many people buy them because they think they're reliable or fast, though. Even the premium handcrafted Ducatis are a meme of unreliability, much like Land Rover.

I guess it really does come down to personal values. I value smart engineering and speed over clout and steam powered simplicity. Others value a tight knit community and/or a good looking vehicle built by a cabinet maker.

I do think it's pretty damn funny when I run into the all-to-common HD owner that thinks their 2 cubic foot screaming sparrow KY Glide can outrun my "little jap bike." I had a buddy that thought his new Fat Bob would embarass my 20 year old Blackbird. Since you have a Valk, I'm sure you can imagine how that went.

Anyway, moral of the story is that I hope the dude-bros stick to the Wranglers. The first Bronco I see with angry eyes and 22 inch rims will undoubtedly break my heart a little.
Ride a "Jap bike" that looks like a full dress Harley. Lol. I got chased a lot. Chased...

Sponsored

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If I had a dollar for every time I have heard that, i'd be a rich man.
What's funny is, whenever we hit the backroads, the people making that statement always fell out of sight, the instant the road had curves.

it does not have the top speed of a superbike, but it wasn't designed to. 130mph on the street is more than enough. I don't need to be like those idiots that weave in and out of highway traffic at triple digits. Darwin takes care of them eventually.

For me, it's all about owning the curves and that is where this beast shines.

John Bronco_ I am here

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnbronco.com
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '08 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ya' better gets ready. That is the problem with mass produced items, they let anyone buy 'em.

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I may be on the Bronco end of the wall, but boy am I a Hellayella fan! Looks good on the Wrangler! One question: Why is it the Black Diamond grill's design look the same as the base models? Is it because the BD is lower on the trim scale and not worthy of a flashier grill?
Base and BD (non-SAS) are the two retro-look Broncos. Old style grill, old-style headlights, and traditional steel wheels.😍

Big Bend and OBX are the modern-look Broncos, with modern amenities and very modern-looking grills.

Badlands and Wildtrak are the performance Broncos, with "tough-looking" grills.

BOT_ROCKET

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If I had a dollar for every time I have heard that, i'd be a rich man.
What's funny is, whenever we hit the backroads, the people making that statement always fell out of sight, the instant the road had curves.

it does not have the top speed of a superbike, but it wasn't designed to. 130mph on the street is more than enough. I don't need to be like those idiots that weave in and out of highway traffic at triple digits. Darwin takes care of them eventually.

For me, it's all about owning the curves and that is where this beast shines.
No offense intended, and I have no doubt that it's a hilariously fun bike and capable bike in the curves. There's a reason you've heard it a lot, though, and that's because it's true. 130 might be fast enough to have fun, but it's not fast by motorcycle standards. Any halfway sorted bike with decent tires and a competent rider can carve corners. Corners are much much much more about the rider than the bike.

Sponsored

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

No offense intended, and I have no doubt that it's a hilariously fun bike and capable bike in the curves. There's a reason you've heard it a lot, though, and that's because it's true. 130 might be fast enough to have fun, but it's not fast by motorcycle standards.
Top end is only one aspect of speed and the highest speed limit in the US is 80mph. As this bike was 100% designed for the street, Buell nailed it. This thing blows the doors off most bikes in acceleration up to that point.
Lets compare this 2006 Buell to an equivolent Japanese bike. Specifically one I previously owned. But I'll use the current version.
1200CC bikes are comparable to 600CC I4s So lets take the 2021 Honda CBR600RR. It has 125hp, but only 47ft/lbs of torque and it needs to get up to 11,000 RPMs before it taps into those numbers.
So now, lets put those 2 bikes side by side at a street light. At the next light, unless it is a mile away, The Buell won't be the loser. It has double the TQ and taps into it almost immediately.

Any halfway sorted bike with decent tires and a competent rider can carve corners. Corners are much much much more about the rider than the bike.
The amount of competent riders on those "faster bikes" are rare. When the reality of turning comes into play, the smaller, slower bikes reign supreme. Even when I owned my CBR600RR, I would have moron's tell me I should have gotten a 1000cc because I am going to "OutGrow" it.

Look at this guy, on a freaking 300cc

What are you intending to showcase? The outdated helmet or the outdated belt-driven "sport bike"?
The awesomeness of both. FYI Technically it never was a "Sport Bike"
Never had an issue with the belt on my bike. Can't say that for the chains on the other motorcycles I've owned. It's fantastic never having to adjust the slack. Not a hard task to do on a chained motorcycle, but one I love not having to do.
The Shoei X-11 is a killer helmet. Nothing wrong with it. Never dropped, has all new padding/internals.
I've owned my fair share of bikes, but this is the one I've stuck with. Nothing compared to it on the street or in maintenance.

KTMs are decent bikes. Buell had the Ulysses and now HD has realized that's a market they need to tap into with the Pan America. Personally, I'd take the KTM. But I won't bash the HD. It's nice seeing them expand.

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Shoei X-11 is a killer helmet. Nothing wrong with it. Never dropped, has all new padding/internals.
Thats not how helmets work, but keep wearing it if you think that way.

In 3 years I will replace my X-14 and in 4 years I will replace my Hornet X2. The internal degradation that I cannot see is not worth risking my life over.

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That's a whole different discussion. We already hijacked this thread.
Hey how about them Bronco's
Sure are looking Big! 🤣

BOT_ROCKET

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Top end is only one aspect of speed and the highest speed limit in the US is 80mph. As this bike was 100% designed for the street, Buell nailed it. This thing blows the doors off most bikes in acceleration up to that point.
Lets compare this 2006 Buell to an equivolent Japanese bike. Specifically one I previously owned. But I'll use the current version.
1200CC bikes are comparable to 600CC I4s So lets take the 2021 Honda CBR600RR. It has 125hp, but only 47ft/lbs of torque and it needs to get up to 11,000 RPMs before it taps into those numbers.
So now, lets put those 2 bikes side by side at a street light. At the next light, unless it is a mile away, The Buell won't be the loser. It has double the TQ and taps into it almost immediately.

The amount of competent riders on those "faster bikes" are rare. When the reality of turning comes into play, the smaller, slower bikes reign supreme. Even when I owned my CBR600RR, I would have moron's tell me I should have gotten a 1000cc because I am going to "OutGrow" it.
If bikes only had one gear, you'd have a good point. However, bikes have 5 or 6 gears, and even a 600, 650, or 750 has enough power to flip over backwards off the line. Launching a sport bike is done with the clutch, not the torque. Btw for the record, I call 600cc bikes slow, too, but they have half the displacement of a Buell, so they have twice the excuse. My 1100cc i4 would dust a Buell in any race other than a tiny police type obstacle course.

Last edited:

BadlandsBronc21

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 2018 Audi S5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Squatched:love: