Sponsored

Wildtrak 2.7 4Dr SoftTop, Sas & mid-pkg vs 2018 Rubicon V6 (fully loaded)

chobit

Badlands
First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper SE, MIata ND2 GT, Bronco Badland SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A little about myself. I am 5' 10", and at my mid-40s. When it comes to driving experience. I consider myself an OK driver, and know enough about driving dynamic and 4 wheeling. I used to have a solid axles 2000 Grand Cherokee V8 Limited QD on a Teraflex 4" lift which I went 4 wheeling with a local 4x4 club regularly. About 1/2 decade later, I went another direction and start driving sport cars (Still love Rear wheel bias AWD). I started with a 2006 STi (Love WRC rally) > 2006 Porsche 997.1 C4S Cab > BMW M235xi Cab. I currently owned a 2018 Rubicon with a 2.5" EVO Lift on Kings shocks and a 2019 ND2 Miata GT. In other word, I own more convertible cars and none of them are like Benz S class Luxury/comfort. (Our true family car is my wife 2020 MDX Hybrid)

So, I went back to my local dealership early this morning, so that could take the Bronco out for another spin with minimal traffic, and want to share thought.

The test drive is approx. 30min. Some highway driving at about 70mph and some local streets where they have road works & bumps.

Engine: The 2.7L is very strong, For all those situation where I have to give my Jeep some more gas to make it go downshift, The Bronco just keep moving. The Jeep definitely feel heavier and need a bigger engine. The Bronco, I think anything bigger than the 2.7 is an overkill. There were barely any turbo lag. It feel a lot like driving a twin turbo on the M235 then my STi.

Brakes: Stopping the Jeep seems easier and effortless when compares to the Bronco. The Jeep feels lighter, and the auto down-shift on the Jeep works well and helps stopping it. The Bronco definitely heavy, and I could easily tell all those extra weight & the 35" on it. Provided that tires are capable to stop it faster, I would love to see some better brake upgrades out there.

Transmission: The Jeep 8-speed is known to be an excellent AT. I also like the 10-speed on the Bronco, it's quick and very smooth, but I didn't get the chance to shift manually.

Steering/cornering: The steering is very sedans/vans like than trucks. A little too lightweight, but still provides some decent feedbacks. The self-return to center excellent, but I would prefer a slightly higher steering ratio. Cornering - regular 90 degree turns and entering/exiting hwy is far better than the Jeep in every way.

Comfort/Road Noise: With the soft top up & windows close. I could have a conversation with the sale person with my normal voice. I can't do the inside my Jeep with both Hard or Soft Top. As for the seats, I never had a problem with my Jeep's seats, and I don't think the Bronco (Cloth Seats) is better. When going over bumps, the Jeep jumps, jeep more like a truck with leaf springs, the Bronco just absorb them.

Interiors: Nothing to write home about, I like the Jeep better. My wife described it as very Corolla like. (Her family has a 199x Corolla). Obviously, it isn't as bad as the old Corolla, but it's definitely not $50-60K level interior. I only spent a few min on the center display, I don't like that font, not pretty nor easier to read. I know we change that background color from white to black, but I wish there is an option to make the text bold as well.

Personally, I don't think the look of the Jeep is dated and I think they should continue to keep that military heritage. It's sort of like the Porsche 911, the rear engine may not be the best, but it's a 911 and it's unique. I think the loose steering on the Wrangler was Jeep cutting corners in all these years, othewise, the lifted 2000 Grand Cherokee with solid Axles would have been as bad if not worst than the Wrangler.

Ford Bronco Wildtrak 2.7 4Dr SoftTop, Sas & mid-pkg vs 2018 Rubicon V6 (fully loaded) 1627759676802

Ford Bronco Wildtrak 2.7 4Dr SoftTop, Sas & mid-pkg vs 2018 Rubicon V6 (fully loaded) 1627759778899

Ford Bronco Wildtrak 2.7 4Dr SoftTop, Sas & mid-pkg vs 2018 Rubicon V6 (fully loaded) 1627759818645

Ford Bronco Wildtrak 2.7 4Dr SoftTop, Sas & mid-pkg vs 2018 Rubicon V6 (fully loaded) 1627759861706

Ford Bronco Wildtrak 2.7 4Dr SoftTop, Sas & mid-pkg vs 2018 Rubicon V6 (fully loaded) 1627760128722

Ford Bronco Wildtrak 2.7 4Dr SoftTop, Sas & mid-pkg vs 2018 Rubicon V6 (fully loaded) 1627760216672
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator: