First Name
Joe MaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Picked up my WT 2 night ago. I will start this build thread with a brief review of it as I break it in and will add to this as the build out progresses.

My 4x4 Background:
I have owned 3 4Runners (1 of them a TRD model 2016, 1 a Limited 2011, and 1 a V8 Sport 2004), 1 FJ Cruiser 08, 5 Wranglers (TJ 06, JK Rubicon 13, JKU Rubicon 15, JLU Rubicon 2018, JL Rubicon 2020) and several 4X4 Trucks from Tundras to Rams Never a Chevy or a Ford. All of these vehicles have seen various forms of builds, from overlanding to rock crawling to even converting one of my JK Rubicons to Coilovers for a bit more high speed running.

Initial Bronco WT impressions:
  • Size - I like the size of the Bronco much more than the Wranglers, it is more akin to the 4Runners, much more like an SUV versus an Off-Road vehicle for my tastes, I would say a good blend of current day and the full size broncos of yesteryear. Interior space is much better than a wrangler, Bronco trounces the Jeep for ā€œelbowā€ room.
  • Engine - until I hit 1K miles I am going to drive it like I have a cop behind me, I have had several twin turbo BMWā€™s and initial breakin is very important on the turbos in my experience so I canā€™t say how happy I am overall yet with this engine but initial impressions are that it is night and day over the 3.6L, 2.0L Turbo, 4.0L (TJ) Jeep engines, NO COMPARISON for street driving at low speeds, zero lag off the start and plenty of torque for stop light to stop light. Now I Hemi Swapped one of my Wranglers with a 5.7L and this feels similar so far in light daily driving. This engine feels similar to the 4.0L 4Runner engine at low RPM so far, which to me is a good thing. The Toyota 4.0L suffers at higher RPM, it drops torque quick as you get the needle moving up, and this twin T should make great gains at higher RPMā€™s.
  • Fit and Finish:
    • Exterior Metal parts are high quality, all doors, hoods, and panels line up very well (I have had vehicles not JEEP that had Ā¼ā€ gap differences from top of door jamb to bottom upon delivery - $50K vehicles) and am impressed. The Gunsights to keep the tree branches off the windshield in the woods (or jungle as they were intended) are high quality and well made. The doors are of decent weight and close well unlike a Wrangler where you have to remind everyone every time not to SLAM the damn door.
    • Exterior NON METAL parts: Sasquatch Fenders are just OK, but something that draws my ire a bit is that Ford added some sort of Mud Flap/Flare piece the to rear bumper to extend the bumper out to meet to flare width and it looks like something you would go to Autozone and buy and add onā€¦ā€¦.very cheap and AFTERTHOUGHT look to it. The MIC Top is not very good, took both front panels and mid panel out to air out the horrible plastic smell of the interior and sat it outside for a day. The panels latches work well but they are not as easy to remove and install as the wranglers, the holes/pins are more difficult to line up, might get easier over time but initial impressions is that it is a first build vehicle and refinements will be welcomed just like from the 2012 JKā€™s to the 2015+ JKā€˜s were by the Jeep crowd. The WIldtrak badge definitely feels like a Refrigerator magnet, I will debadge this thing as well as removing the mountains off of the sides (I donā€™t like them in person, but Iā€™ll do another custom with my company name in the stripe).
    • Interior - overall a WIN here over the Toyotas and the Jeeps. Space is utilized well for elbow room, storage, and access to dash items. Steering wheel controls are a bit crowded but this is a mute point compared to the competitors I listed. As for the steering wheel though a few notes, the size if perfect, feels great to the touch, and the bottom center part is almost a dead ringer for the latest Wrangler Rubicon Steering wheel, the hole is large enough to 2 finger steer but nothing more. Overall like the cockpit feel from the drivers seat a lot.
      • This is where I am disappointed in the interior: Plastic panels whether it be door panels, dash panels or sides of console are all very thin plastic that scratches EASILY, this is of a lesser quality than a 4Runner for instance and expected but I didnā€™t expect it to be of lesser quality than a Wrangler. At the end of the day this is an Off-Road SUV so it isnā€™t a big deal but it was surprising so I am mentioning it with some emphasis.
    • ADDITIONAL INTERIOR ISSUES (UPDATED)
      • They seatbelts are not on a sliding track. So far it hasnā€™t affected me like some vehicles being mounted so high (I am on the shorter side of 5ā€™9ā€ and I like the seat low for street driving), it is just a difference in the other comparable vehicles so thought I should mention it.
  • B&O Sound System and Ford Sync4 - Upgrade over the Toyota systems by a mile, and I would say overall an upgrade over the latest Rubicon system and UConnect (had software issues in all of my UConnect vehicles over the years). Sound wise it is more than sufficient for my middle aged ears and I invest heavily in my home audio systems and headphone systems.
  • Tires - Ordered Nitto Ridge Grapplers already, these Goodyear are a typical LOW TREAD OEM tire and not good rubber at that in my estimation. Turning the Bronco they have that feel of a SXS or 4-wheeler on the pavement, if you know you know.
  • UPDATES on the GOOD: The more miles I put on it the more comfortable it gets and I mean this from getting used to all of the controls, locations, and manners from the drivers seat. I would say it is very akin to a 4Runner Limited more so than a Wrangler as eluded to earlier. I believe overall the 4Runner is a much better comparison between the vehicles versus the Wrangler. The top/doors coming off is the only reason I would consider it as a competitor to the Wrangler at this point. It is MUCH MORE SUV than old military field transport. I believe this is a good thing for FORD and us, meaning more of these on the road better the prices and aftermarket options. Overlanding LONG distances will be this vehicles BREAD AND BUTTER! This will be a great journey.

Build (parts dependent):
  • As already mentioned changing to true 35ā€ Ridge Grapplers as soon as delivered, took the brush guard off and sold it already (not a fan of the redesign), ordered the 1ā€ leveling lift for the front for now (has as much rake as a 4Runner, was surprised that pics didnā€™t show this better than it shows in person), will add coilovers along with front winch eventually to offset load and level it properly. Will order proper sliders when a good design hits the market. Sway bar disconnects when available. I will tune this 2.7 with intake and downpipes after breakin and parts availability to squeeze a bit more power out of it. Depending on the wheeling this gets into it might get another lift and 37ā€™s, but that would require me to get another daily driver as I have in the past when I have went for off-road manners vs a good mix of the on/off. 37ā€™s for everyday on road are overkill and the mall Cops donā€™t like it.
  • 071221 Added Pinch Seam Covers until I can get proper sliders.
I wonā€™t be going off road until the 1000 mile break-in but will add to the review at the top at that time.

Oh yeah a note on the color, I wanted Iconic Silver but chose Cactus Grey based on family input, I should have went with Iconic Silver. I like the Cactus Grey but it draws more attention and conversations as to where the Silver would have flown a bit better under the radar and I am interested in a clear matte wrap over that silver as well for a unique Back to the Future Delorean look.

Thanks for reading and while it was a long wait it was worth it!

Ford Bronco Wildtrak 2.7L Sasquatch Lux Leather Tow Review and Build Thread JGK50961-2
Ford Bronco Wildtrak 2.7L Sasquatch Lux Leather Tow Review and Build Thread JGK50968-3
Ford Bronco Wildtrak 2.7L Sasquatch Lux Leather Tow Review and Build Thread JGK50969-Enhanced
Sponsored

Last edited:

Last Ride Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan pup
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Congratulations on a beautiful ride! I have a fully loaded 2 door WT being built in August. I would like to know if you are happy with the leather seats. Also, paint issues around the inside door hinges. Lastly did your Bronco come with a paper copy of the ownerā€™s manual? Again, congratulations and thanks.

OP
OP
1IH

1IH

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe MaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Congratulations on a beautiful ride! I have a fully loaded 2 door WT being built in August. I would like to know if you are happy with the MIC top quality and the leather seats. Also, paint issues around the inside door hinges. Lastly did your Bronco come with a paper copy of the ownerā€™s manual? Again, congratulations and thanks.
thanks, I will check on the OM and the door hinge paint, I did see a few comments in either FB groups or here about that but havenā€™t checked yet. As for the MIC top I mentioned above it is something I would expect from a pole barn manufacturing facility versus a Ford Authorized partner, not finished well on the inside or the outside, the inside has BUBBLING that they used the headliner to cover from what I can see. I am ordering a Bestop asap if available so I am $2600 disappointed to put it In monetary terms. The leather seats are good yes, would prefer not to use Leather but wanted power seats and the fabric didnā€™t offer that in the WT when I ordered. WIll reply with 1st two items when I head out in a bit! Thanks again.

Last edited:

Fatdaddy

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Disappointing on the MIC and apparently becoming a common theme. Wish us WT orders could just opt for soft top at this point. Iā€™ll keep an eye out on more pictures of your build. Howā€™s Sport mode with the SAS? The WT interior as greatly grown on me, very cool.

OP
OP
1IH

1IH

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe MaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Disappointing on the MIC and apparently becoming a common theme. Wish us WT orders could just opt for soft top at this point. Iā€™ll keep an eye out on more pictures of your build. Howā€™s Sport mode with the SAS? The WT interior as greatly grown on me, very cool.
I only switched to sport/2H for 30 seconds and then went back to normal to make sure I wasnā€™t confusing the transmission programming (OCD here) so I didnā€™t get a chance to get into it. I have seen a BL by the way, sat in one at a local dealer day a few months ago. I am happy I went with the WT for the Sport mode and the interior at this point. I like the top down a lot in the 4 months we get around here to run that way and all black seats are not fun in the sun so these are better. BTW pictures of this interior show it as more of a tan or khaki Color and in person it has more of a grey hue to it which I was happy about. I will try to white balance correctly and get some better pics if this rain subsides here.

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Congratulations Joe. And I don't blame you, I would pull those mountain stickers off the side also. Enjoy, and thanks for the review. I trust customer reviews more than those talking heads on YouTube.

Benzo520

Wildtrak
First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Since you have the hard top on a 4 door, Iā€™m really curious to know if you can take just the clamshell off by itself? Hopefully you can shed some light on this answer please. Thank you in advance and congratulations on your delivery!

Reactions: 1IH

Sponsored
OP
OP
1IH

1IH

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe MaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Since you have the hard top on a 4 door, Iā€™m really curious to know if you can take just the clamshell off by itself? Hopefully you can shed some light on this answer please. Thank you in advance and congratulations on your delivery!
You can not just take off the back piece. The mid panel mounts on top of the rear panel lip and the front panels mount on top of the mid panels lip. Itā€™s a front to back system.

Thanks for all the replies and I stated above that I ordered the brush guard before the redesign and did not like the redesign. As for the decals I wanted something to break up the side view a bit with the cactus grey. In person Iā€™m not a fan.

OP
OP
1IH

1IH

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe MaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Congratulations on a beautiful ride! I have a fully loaded 2 door WT being built in August. I would like to know if you are happy with the leather seats. Also, paint issues around the inside door hinges. Lastly did your Bronco come with a paper copy of the ownerā€™s manual? Again, congratulations and thanks.
Supplemental only.

image.jpg

OP
OP
1IH

1IH

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe MaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hinges are good!

image.jpg

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hinges are good!

Ford Bronco Wildtrak 2.7L Sasquatch Lux Leather Tow Review and Build Thread image
Do you have a picture of the front door hinges? That is where the paint issues are being seen. Thanks!

OP
OP
1IH

1IH

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe MaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Do you have a picture of the front door hinges? That is where the paint issues are being seen. Thanks!
With the doors on I couldnā€™t get a good picture but I checked all four door hinges and all four hinges are good on this one I just sent a picture of the back ones because it was easier with the lighting.
Sponsored