First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any color bronco is gonna draw attention at this point. Maybe in a year or two that will change.
Sponsored

Reactions: 1IH

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
One reason I opted for Carbonized Gray over Area51 was the fact that any Bronco is likely to draw more attention than I want.

Also, if I had a Bronco with stickers and badges, they would be gone the next day. I agree with you 100% on that decision.

Totally not surprised by the fact that the OEM tires are junk. I hate when manufacturers cheap out on the tires. It's almost as bad as printer companies.

I am disappointed that the top is subpar, but once again, not shocked given the history of problems to date.

Best of luck with it.

gjproducer

Badlands
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Picked up my WT 2 night ago. I will start this build thread with a brief review of it as I break it in and will edit this as I go build it out.

My 4x4 Background:
I have owned 3 4Runners (1 of them a TRD model 2016, 1 a Limited 2011, and 1 a V8 Sport 2004), 1 FJ Cruiser 08, 5 Wranglers (TJ 06, JK Rubicon 13, JKU Rubicon 15, JLU Rubicon 2018, JL Rubicon 2020) and several 4X4 Trucks from Tundras to Rams Never a Chevy or a Ford. All of these vehicles have seen various forms of builds, from overlanding to rock crawling to even converting one of my JK Rubicons to Coilovers for a bit more high speed running.

Initial Bronco WT impressions:
  • Size - I like the size of the Bronco much more than the Wranglers, it is more akin to the 4Runners, much more like an SUV versus an Off-Road vehicle for my tastes, I would say a good blend of current day and the full size broncos of yesteryear. Interior space is much better than a wrangler, Bronco trounces the Jeep for ā€œelbowā€ room.
  • Engine - until I hit 1K miles I am going to drive it like I have a cop behind me, I have had several twin turbo BMWā€™s and initial breakin is very important on the turbos in my experience so I canā€™t say how happy I am overall yet with this engine but initial impressions are that it is night and day over the 3.6L, 2.0L Turbo, 4.0L (TJ) Jeep engines, NO COMPARISON for street driving at low speeds, zero lag off the start and plenty of torque for stop light to stop light. Now I Hemi Swapped one of my Wranglers with a 5.7L and this feels similar so far in light daily driving. This engine feels similar to the 4.0L 4Runner engine at low RPM so far, which to me is a good thing. The Toyota 4.0L suffers at higher RPM, it drops torque quick as you get the needle moving up, and this twin T should make great gains at higher RPMā€™s.
  • Fit and Finish:
    • Exterior Metal parts are high quality, all doors, hoods, and panels line up very well (I have had vehicles not JEEP that had Ā¼ā€ gap differences from top of door jamb to bottom upon delivery - $50K vehicles) and am impressed. The Gunsights to keep the tree branches off the windshield in the woods (or jungle as they were intended) are high quality and well made. The doors are of decent weight and close well unlike a Wrangler where you have to remind everyone every time not to SLAM the damn door.
    • Exterior NON METAL parts: Sasquatch Fenders are just OK, but something that draws my ire a bit is that Ford added some sort of Mud Flap/Flare piece the to rear bumper to extend the bumper out to meet to flare width and it looks like something you would go to Autozone and buy and add onā€¦ā€¦.very cheap and AFTERTHOUGHT look to it. The MIC Top is not very good, took both front panels and mid panel out to air out the horrible plastic smell of the interior and sat it outside for a day. The panels latches work well but they are not as easy to remove and install as the wranglers, the holes/pins are more difficult to line up, might get easier over time but initial impressions is that it is a first build vehicle and refinements will be welcomed just like from the 2012 JKā€™s to the 2015+ JKā€˜s were by the Jeep crowd. The WIldtrak badge definitely feels like a Refrigerator magnet, I will debadge this thing as well as removing the mountains off of the sides.
    • Interior - overall a WIN here over the Toyotas and the Jeeps. Space is utilized well for elbow room, storage, and access to dash items. Steering wheel controls are a bit crowded but this is a mute point compared to the competitors I listed. As for the steering wheel though a few notes, the size if perfect, feels great to the touch, and the bottom center part is almost a dead ringer for the latest Wrangler Rubicon Steering wheel, the hole is large enough to 2 finger steer but nothing more. Overall like the cockpit feel from the drivers seat a lot.
      • This is where I am disappointed in the interior: Plastic panels whether it be door panels, dash panels or sides of console are all very thin plastic that scratches EASILY, this is of a lesser quality than a 4Runner for instance and expected but I didnā€™t expect it to be of lesser quality than a Wrangler. At the end of the day this is an Off-Road SUV so it isnā€™t a big deal but it was surprising so I am mentioning it with some emphasis.
  • B&O Sound System and Ford Sync4 - Upgrade over the Toyota systems by a mile, and I would say overall an upgrade over the latest Rubicon system and UConnect (had software issues in all of my UConnect vehicles over the years). Sound wise it is more than sufficient for my middle aged ears and I invest heavily in my home audio systems and headphone systems.
  • Tires - Ordered Nitto Ridge Grapplers already, these Goodyear are a typical LOW TREAD OEM tire and not good rubber at that in my estimation. Turning the Bronco they have that feel of a SXS or 4-wheeler on the pavement, if you know you know.

Build (parts dependent):
  • As already mentioned changing to true 35ā€ Ridge Grapplers as soon as delivered, took the brush guard off and sold it already (not a fan of the redesign), ordered the 1ā€ leveling lift for the front for now (has as much rake as a 4Runner, was surprised that pics didnā€™t show this better than it shows in person), will add coilovers along with front winch eventually to offset load and level it properly. Will order proper sliders when a good design hits the market. Sway bar disconnects when available. I will tune this 2.7 with intake and downpipes after breakin and parts availability to squeeze a bit more power out of it. Depending on the wheeling this gets into it might get another lift and 37ā€™s, but that would require me to get another daily driver as I have in the past when I have went for off-road manners vs a good mix of the on/off. 37ā€™s for everyday on road are overkill and the mall Cops donā€™t like it.
I wonā€™t be going off road until the 1000 mile break-in but will add to the review at the top at that time.

Oh yeah a note on the color, I wanted Iconic Silver but chose Cactus Grey based on family input, I should have went with Iconic Silver. I like the Cactus Grey but it draws more attention and conversations as to where the Silver would have flown a bit better under the radar and I am interested in a clear matte wrap over that silver as well for a unique Back to the Future Delorean look.

Thanks for reading and while it was a long wait it was worth it!

View attachment 139744

View attachment 139745
Great write up thanks. Interested in your debadging process and what company you use for the matte wrap.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

great write up- thanks for taking the time. One question though. You need to remind people NOT to slam the door on a wrangler? Iā€™ve always had to remind people to close it hard. Wrangler doors donā€™t close all the way if you donā€™t use some force (hard too on, other windows closed). New people always have to open and close again.
Me too - maybe a JL thing?

Sponsored

Superstition

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubicon unlimited tricked out
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Terrific thread! Thanks for taking the time to air it out. I also have a JKUR on 35's with a Badlands/SAS on order so I appreciate the Jeep Vs Bronco comparisons.

OP
OP
1IH

1IH

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe MaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Great write up thanks. Interested in your debadging process and what company you use for the matte wrap.
I have removed badges myself with some fishing line, body repair tools, and goo gone but if I was getting it wrapped they would do it as a part of the install. I have used DreamwrapsUSA over the years located here in Northern Kentucky (suburb of CIncinnati) and they are first rate, but vehicle wrapping has become a big business in recent years so most cities have a few good ones it seems.

I might get clear matte put over a small section of this Cactus Grey and see what it looks like. I will check into it tomorrow.

gjproducer

Badlands
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have removed badges myself with some fishing line, body repair tools, and goo gone but if I was getting it wrapped they would do it as a part of the install. I have used DreamwrapsUSA over the years located here in Northern Kentucky (suburb of CIncinnati) and they are first rate, but vehicle wrapping has become a big business in recent years so most cities have a few good ones it seems.

I might get clear matte put over a small section of this Cactus Grey and see what it looks like. I will check into it tomorrow.
Awesome thank you.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Yes, JL doors are magnesium skinned so much lighter and they do close much easier than the other models.
So coming from an early JKUR, the two biggest things I am trying to stop hearing complaints about are noise, and ride/steering ambiguity. Sounds like noise (new top and tires compared to old top and tires) is good, and ride from other reviews sound good. (But in a lot of cases rides was evaluated in an aired down situation.)

Sponsored
OP
OP
1IH

1IH

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe MaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So coming from an early JKUR, the two biggest things I am trying to stop hearing complaints about are noise, and ride/steering ambiguity. Sounds like noise (new top and tires compared to old top and tires) is good, and ride from other reviews sound good. (But in a lot of cases rides was evaluated in an aired down situation.)
I updated the original post and need to update further to include the noise because that is a lot of what I was referring to in comparing this more to a 4Runner limited in the cockpit and road driving experience than a Wrangler. The comparisons to a Wrangler really stop at the top and doors funcionality at this point. 4Runners have trail crawl mode and lockers now on the TRD models so this (Bronco) is more akin to them so far to me.

Road noise is a 4 to me, with an X5 being a 1 or 2 and a JKU with softtop up being an 9. Tremendously quieter but this is the MIC version with the Headliner/Poor Finish Covering.

Steering is like an SUV, NOT A WRANGLER. The only Jeep I would compare the steering to is a 2016 Grand Cherokee Limited V8 I drove for a few months. The on road manners are not comparable to a Wrangler, this is much better. Now for the OEM Goodyears, the more I drive this the more I hate them. At low speed turns they sound just like you pulled out of the trailhead onto the highway and forgot to air up or SXS tires on pavement, it could be because they used a very soft rubber but they SOUND like they are LOW ON AIR, but I checked and all 4 are at 41psi. I typically run LT tires for on road manners at 35PSI as well as sidewall protection (10 ply Versus 6 on these or other C rated tires) and these at low speed sound like they have 20psi.

Last edited:

NotoriousBDP

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 WL74 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looking forward to seeing your results. Iā€™m a big fan of matte colors and am considering doing something similar on my Race Red build when it arrives.

OP
OP
1IH

1IH

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe MaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Looking forward to seeing your results. Iā€™m a big fan of matte colors and am considering doing something similar on my Race Red build when it arrives.
Ford Bronco Wildtrak 2.7L Sasquatch Lux Leather Tow Review and Build Thread image

Just leaving the Wrap joint. Getting satin versus matte. Did a sample and it will give it a good concrete look while protecting it from trail rash.

OP
OP
1IH

1IH

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe MaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Oh yeah and the ā€œbadgesā€ are literally refrigerator magnets with adhesive back vs magnet backing and they come off very very easy. The aftermarket will solve this with some cool Sasquatches Iā€™m sure!

Ford Bronco Wildtrak 2.7L Sasquatch Lux Leather Tow Review and Build Thread image
Sponsored