Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 4Runner, ‘16 BMW 328i, ‘96 Stang GT, ‘19 Mini
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’m a day one reservation holder but just put my order in for a 2022 in October.

Current build is a 4 door, VB OBX w/SAS, 2.7, soft top, mod bumper, aux switches and high package. With a few things like mats and storage bags, the build comes to $53,705.

I went with OBX because I love the cloth roast/black seats and blue accents with VB, vs the Badlands with black marine vinyl because I’m in Arizona, and black vinyl would kill me (leather is terrible in the sun here too, and I plan to have the top off quite a bit with 300+ days of sun). I also didn’t like the orange accents with VB. The Wildtrak cloth seats look horrible to me. Camo with light tan On the top of the line model?

90% of our driving will be around Phoenix, but we do get off-road in rocky desert terrain, dirt and gravel roads, the mountains up by our cabin near the Mogollon Rim, and the sand dunes by Yuma. Also trips to sandy Rocky Point, Mexico and about four trips a year to the beaches in S. Cali.

I compared this build to as close to similarly equipped Wildtrak. With SAS added to OBX, the only differences seem to be the WT has an uglier interior for VB exterior, no tube step, an uglier front grill IMO, but it’s positives are all black beauty rings, baja mode, and the fact that it is Ford’s top of the line model now that FE’s are done.

The Baja mode issue looks like it can be solved with five minutes on Forscan. I can get rock rails to swap with the tube step when we go off-road. And the beauty rings can be painted or powder coated. Am I missing something, or is a fully loaded OBX just as capable as the Wildtrak, even at “high-speed, Baja” environments? The WT does not have stabilizer bar disconnect, and I would never use that anyway. I believe OBX SAS has all the same ratios, lockers, trail assist, turn assist, etc.

Should I stick with the OBX SAS even though it’s priced the same as the “top model”? Will future value on the OBX be less simply because of trim? Thanks for any opinions or insight.
Sponsored

broncoky

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2DR CB OBX SAS & 2000 Lexus LS400
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I just posted a thread with the same thoughts!

Behold the WILD BANKS

You nailed everything. I will never use Baja mode anyways. If I did need it, I’m sure I could manually adjust the vehicle to match Baja mode.

OP
OP
AZ_BRONC

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It seems a few manual buttons put you in Baja mode anyway, like most modes.

Mickey21

Wildtrak
First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrak (Race Red)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It already sounds like you made your decision, what is there to discuss?

OP
OP
AZ_BRONC

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It already sounds like you made your decision, what is there to discuss?
I‘m mostly asking if I’m missing something superior about the Wildtrak vs the optioned up OBX SAS, other than being the “top trim”.

Sponsored

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Don’t forget the color matched door handles and mirror caps which I think is a great look on OBX. Think WT is going back to the grey non painted handles and caps which is lame for the top trim IMO.

Team OBX!

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My thread noting my thought process and why i landed at an obx sas - https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/antimatter-obx-sas-lux-mic-delivered.26989/

And i'll say after 2 months of ownership, i really appreciated the silver dash insert roast/black interior. It is a step up and gives the cabin more of a premium feel. The scratchy black dash of the WT has a very different vibe. As for the exterior, the matching mirror caps, no hood graphics, silver rings, etc, its simply cleeeean...compared to the wildtrak that has a grille thats intended to match tire treads, camo seats, and bastardized mirrors that were meant to match a mod top that never came. Just IMO.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AZ_BRONC

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My thread noting my thought process and why i landed at an obx sas - https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/antimatter-obx-sas-lux-mic-delivered.26989/

And i'll say after 2 months of ownership, i really appreciated the silver dash insert roast/black interior. It is a step up and gives the cabin more of a premium feel. The scratchy black dash of the WT has a very different vibe. As for the exterior, the matching mirror caps, no hood graphics, silver rings, etc, its simply cleeeean...compared to the wildtrak that has a grille thats intended to match tire treads, camo seats, and bastardized mirrors that were meant to match a mod top that never came. Just IMO.
Just checked your thread…beautiful truck! AMB is the first Bronco I get to see up close at a Ford event. I am long-term planning a more classic look for mine, similar to the West Coast beach Broncs. Went soft-top being in AZ, but some day will add a white hardtop and fender flares Imcan swap out whenever I’m feeling old school. The OBX grill and ribbed roast cloth seat backs give a more classic vibe as well.

Im not seeing anyone pointing out anything I’m missing with the Wildtrak.

Ford Bronco Wildtrak and OBX SAS buyers help me decide AEF6CD46-91E2-480D-8E61-1BFF87FB4919

Last edited:

tobands

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX , 2014 Escape Titaimium
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Also bet you would get the OBX long before the WT

Sponsored

MikeyFrog

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I went OBX and did a lift and new tires to get the setup I wanted. Not a fan of the sasquatch tires after reading everyone's reviews. Love the styling of the OBX inside and out. It's definitely capable even without sasquatch.

Ford Bronco Wildtrak and OBX SAS buyers help me decide 20211216_130547

Mickey21

Wildtrak
First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrak (Race Red)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

For me, I went WT because by default it was going to have everything I was going to option in it otherwise. I wasnt a fan of the painted fenders or body color mirrors personally, and initially it was also going to have the painted top versus the MIC, which I guess was going to be nice too for what I wanted. For me, there is also a value in knowing what it is.

For example, if you tell someone you own the WT, they largely already know what you have if they know about the models. There is value to me in not explaining what is or isnt on the vehicle. Sasquatch is standard, interior package base install is higher than some other models, painted parts that I wanted painted, the grill I preferred over the others (basically I tell novices that the more holes in the grill, the higher the trim which is what Ford seemed to do, lol) without knowing anything else. Not that I want to ever sell it, but this value does transfer to resale value as well. Having leather in my situation was going to be a thing and I prefer them over the cloth and MGV as well. I wanted the power adjustment seats as well too.

To me it seems what you wanted was satisfied in what you got, so the WT doesnt seem ideal, but the default differences to me matched what I wanted. And it didnt hurt that I also liked the decal packages including the side graphics. Which also to me is more of the, if you see the difference, you know what it is going down the road.

Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
AZ_BRONC

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

For me, I went WT because by default it was going to have everything I was going to option in it otherwise. I wasnt a fan of the painted fenders or body color mirrors personally, and initially it was also going to have the painted top versus the MIC, which I guess was going to be nice too for what I wanted. For me, there is also a value in knowing what it is.

For example, if you tell someone you own the WT, they largely already know what you have if they know about the models. There is value to me in not explaining what is or isnt on the vehicle. Sasquatch is standard, interior package base install is higher than some other models, painted parts that I wanted painted, the grill I preferred over the others (basically I tell novices that the more holes in the grill, the higher the trim which is what Ford seemed to do, lol) without knowing anything else. Not that I want to ever sell it, but this value does transfer to resale value as well. Having leather in my situation was going to be a thing and I prefer them over the cloth and MGV as well. I wanted the power adjustment seats as well too.

To me it seems what you wanted was satisfied in what you got, so the WT doesnt seem ideal, but the default differences to me matched what I wanted. And it didnt hurt that I also liked the decal packages including the side graphics. Which also to me is more of the, if you see the difference, you know what it is going down the road.

Just my 2 cents.
Makes a lot of sense. Responses here and in reading other threads have solidified my OBX decision, simply because of subjective, personal preference for the OBX cloth interior options and grille. I felt there MUST be some performance options I must be over-looking that the Wildtrak had over OBX/SAS, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. Only upgrade left is only to be found on the BD and BL. So it comes down to personal preference on interior and grille. I can see value in people “knowing what it is”, like saying it’s a Rubicon. Resale value makes sense too, but as my wife says that probably won’t happen in my lifetime.

RFMETZ

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Can you elaborate on the “scratchy black dash” of the Wildtrak? Aren’t all the dashes plastic and just different colors- WT is tan, or do you mean the insert where the airbag is? Btw, you can easily swap out the dash if you’re willing to pay a few hundred in parts. I’m swapping my WT dash for the First Edition black one.

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I went obx SAS over wildtrak due to roast leather. The blue interior accents go perfect with VB.

20211211_152632.jpg
Sponsored